Alcoves - What's the big deal?

SleepingUgly

I booked ours almost a year out. I called and spoke with the dining department.

Yes- they are so popular that you must book asap. While some people say they see empty alcoves- most people do not sit all day and evening in the alcove- the beauty of them is that you can come and go as you please without having you personal belongings removed from a chaise by the pool- should you want to go for a swim- just a short walk down a flight of stairs to the pool- Your alcove will have your name on it so nobody can "steal" your seat.

Do they still have the wine and cheese parties up there...that was nice! No charge to enjoy the lawn itself!

Wine and cheese sailaway parties on the lawn with comfy cushions and folk singer are wonderful. On our two Eclipse sailings couple of years back they held them several times. On our two Equinox cruises last year it was down to one per sailing. Don't know if they have space on S class ships with alcoves.

Wow, we only booked Silhouette yesterday and thought the alcoves looked quite nice - but not at that price.I know we all have our different preferences but you seem to get very little for your money.

Some people pay a fortune to swim with dolphins, I don’t get that? So to each his/her own

One of the many reasons my wife are on so many cruises is to get away from the dust and pollen at home. Certain times of the year, the pollen and dust in North Texas causes me a LOT of troubles. When on a cruise ship, the clear, fresh air of the open ocean is fantastic !

The Alcoves however ... generate a LOT of grass pollen. If you have allergies, watch out! We have found the Alcoves and lawn very bad for our allergies. It seems to be worst than most lawns or golf courses. Even when at sea with the wind blowing.

-- Don

I get that one pays $249 to have private seating reserved / available for 12 hours that day, with personalized service ... but, is that all?

One my 2 Silhouette cruises I believe it was a lot less, but that's about it yes. The view is a small piece of grass that looks like a golf putting green, with more cabanas on the other side. Also, if you book, prepare for zero privacy as this is a busy area.

Edit: I did not mean to imply that I tried them myself

Edited by AmazedByCruising
But I haven't tried it, so who knows

One of the many reasons my wife are on so many cruises is to get away from the dust and pollen at home. Certain times of the year, the pollen and dust in North Texas causes me a LOT of troubles. When on a cruise ship, the clear, fresh air of the open ocean is fantastic !

The Alcoves however ... generate a LOT of grass pollen. If you have allergies, watch out! We have found the Alcoves and lawn very bad for our allergies. It seems to be worst than most lawns or golf courses. Even when at sea with the wind blowing.

-- Don

Yikes, that is good to know, Don! I didn't even think of that. Guess I was thinking Brady-Bunch-potato-sack-racing artificial turf, for some reason. I mean, I know it's REAL grass, but I never even considered allergies, and my oldest and youngest children tested off the charts for grass allergy. Yet another reason for us to skip the alcoves, I guess. Purses, here I come! :)

-- Don

I have severe hay fever and never experienced a problem. Did have a problem with other allergies when we had an aft S1. Terrible soot. Our butler was great and tried to clean it daily but hard to keep up!