10 hour Kenai Fjords national park cruise with princess lodge

JP-Cruise

There is no 10 hour boat trip out of Seward. I expect Princess is including the transit time from the lodge to the boat and back in their time frame.

Oh shoot, didn’t think about that. That makes sense lol. Well basically wondering, is there a lot of people who go on this tour? Is it a crowded boat?

It depends on the day of the week, the weather, and how many ships are in port. The cruises out to Northwestern and Aialik are beautiful.

I can’t wait! I’ll be praying to see a whale breach, or at least some orcas! I just checked the princess website again about the excursion. It just says 1 hour bus ride to Seward. I’m assuming each way, therefore the cruise itself will be able 8 hours?

And will it just be people from the princess lodge with me? Or will it be people from other people on the cruise also?

This is my first cruisetour with princess, first cruise ever with princess. Second time going to Alaska. So just curious, and super excited of course! lol

Humpbacks are more likely than orcas.

The boat tour is probably 7.5 hours.

We saw seals, sea lions, humpbacks, otters, puffins, eagles, lots of other sea birds.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Oh okay, that’s amazing :) thanks for your input. How many people were on the boat? Was the outside deck crowded ?

We were on the 7.5 hour Major Marine tour. The boat wasn't crowded, not sure of the count but less than half full so that the four of us used our assigned table and the one next to it. There was lots of room on the outside decks. We had come in on Crystal Symphony which has a capacity of about 1000 guests and did it the next day. The only ship in port on the day we took the boat was a Regent ship IIRC - anyway something with even lower passenger count. I expect that the tours might be more crowded.

I don't think the decks would be bad even if the boat was full as some preferred to stay inside and look through the windows.

You can look at the schedule for Seward to see what ships are in on the day you would take the tour:

http://claalaska.com/?page_id=1551

I definitely recommend the trip. It was my favorite excursion of the ones we took. We saw a lot of wildlife plus the glaciers.

Note: once you are in the fjords, the water is pretty calm, but the bit of the cruise when you go through the Gulf of Alaska to get from Resurrection Bay to the fjord can get a bit rough so it's wise to take some sea sickness medication if you think you might need some. I took something before boarding and was fine.

We were on the 7.5 hour Major Marine tour. The boat wasn't crowded, not sure of the count but less than half full so that the four of us used our assigned table and the one next to it. There was lots of room on the outside decks. We had come in on Crystal Symphony which has a capacity of about 1000 guests and did it the next day. The only ship in port on the day we took the boat was a Regent ship IIRC - anyway something with even lower passenger count. I expect that the tours might be more crowded.

I don't think the decks would be bad even if the boat was full as some preferred to stay inside and look through the windows.

You can look at the schedule for Seward to see what ships are in on the day you would take the tour:

http://claalaska.com/?page_id=1551

I definitely recommend the trip. It was my favorite excursion of the ones we took. We saw a lot of wildlife plus the glaciers.

Note: once you are in the fjords, the water is pretty calm, but the bit of the cruise when you go through the Gulf of Alaska to get from Resurrection Bay to the fjord can get a bit rough so it's wise to take some sea sickness medication if you think you might need some. I took something before boarding and was fine.

Thank you very much for the detailed information and for all others who responded. I’m booked on this tour for August 3 this coming summer. This is one of the tours I’m most excited for :). I will definitely consider taking some sea sick medication, though I have never gotten sea sick in my life lol. But you never know right?

Major Marine is my favorite day trip vendor in Seward. We have been on several of their vessels, and there has always been plenty of outside areas. They do assign interior tables, which I like as then you have "your official" space to stash your backpacks and so forth. We also have found the narration quality to be excellent, and there will be a National Park Service ranger onboard. And, quite frankly, there has ALWAYS been some passenger who becomes seasick; their joke is to go to the aft and "aim for distance."

Major Marine is my favorite day trip vendor in Seward. We have been on several of their vessels, and there has always been plenty of outside areas. They do assign interior tables, which I like as then you have "your official" space to stash your backpacks and so forth. We also have found the narration quality to be excellent, and there will be a National Park Service ranger onboard. And, quite frankly, there has ALWAYS been some passenger who becomes seasick; their joke is to go to the aft and "aim for distance."

Thanks for your input :). I’m even more excited for this tour. Did you see any whales breach?

Also what do you mean by aft? What’s aft? Afternoon?

Thanks for your input :). I’m even more excited for this tour. Did you see any whales breach?

Also what do you mean by aft? What’s aft? Afternoon?

While no one can guarantee what you will see, every time we have done this trip (we do the longer day cruises) we have seen whales breach.

By "aft" I mean the rear of the vessel. And quite frankly, every time we have done one of these day trips, a passenger will experience motion sickness. Be prepared.

The really rough spot is right after leaving Resurrection Bay when you hit the open water for about an hour before getting into the protection of the fjords. If it is bad, they will abort the long cruise and just do a cruise of Resurrection Bay, refunding the difference.

While no one can guarantee what you will see, every time we have done this trip (we do the longer day cruises) we have seen whales breach.

By "aft" I mean the rear of the vessel. And quite frankly, every time we have done one of these day trips, a passenger will experience motion sickness. Be prepared.

Oh that’s so great to hear. I am well aware that all wildlife is abundant and you just never know what you’re going to see, but just know there is a high chance of seeing whale breaching here is fantastic! Now by breaching, you mean? The whales full out jumped out of the water, not just seeing their tails right? lol

Wolfie, I really hope it doesn’t come to this, just cruising through ressurrection bay if waters are too rough, but here’s praying for the waters not being so rough so that I can do the full 7.5 hour cruise :). But what ever happens happens right? I’ll enjoy this day regardless