Bringing flowers on board?

calteacher

Hawaii has their own regulations regarding importing/exporting plant matter and produce, and this year there appears to be a "stink bug" problem. New Zealand has turned away 4 cargo ships (full of cars) because of stink bugs, so I'm sure the islands of the Pacific are concerned as well.

Whoa, all those cars........ How do they clean out the 'sttink'?

Whoa, all those cars........ How do they clean out the 'sttink'?

The big problem is fumigating all the cars and the holds. The NZ authorities won't allow this to happen in NZ ports. Then the cars can be landed and cleaned to eliminate any smell.

If gthe NZ authorities w ould not allow fumigattion, how did it get done in order to land the cars? ....out at sea? And hen re turn to port at a later date?

Your posts are so interesting and I enjoy learning so much from tthe various cicumstances you have experienced during your years at sea. Thank you for sharing with us.

If gthe NZ authorities w ould not allow fumigattion, how did it get done in order to land the cars? ....out at sea? And hen re turn to port at a later date?

Your posts are so interesting and I enjoy learning so much from tthe various cicumstances you have experienced during your years at sea. Thank you for sharing with us.

Yes, I believe that was the plan, bring fumigators onboard and fumigate the ship while steaming around in circles, and then the ship would be let in to quarantine anchorage for another agriculture inspection before being cleared to dock.

Thanks, Chengkp, :)

how did such a huge infestation get established before i became such a pro blem? Surely someone had to notice what was developing, in the beginning stages? What a nightmare.

I don't know that it was a huge infestation, or that the NZ customs agents knew it was a huge infestation. If they saw one bug, they can detain a ship until it is fumigated. It appears that Japan has a problem with stink bugs this year, and they are getting into the wheelwells and engine areas of the cars. Ship's crewmen are not trained to tell one bug from another, so they probably had no idea that this was a problem.

Exactly! In 2016 it was not a problem to bring flowers on board in Hawaii (we were on the Hawaii, Tahiti Marquesas cruise) or any other port. there is evidently some major bug pestilence this year which is causing caution in some of those islands and I can certainly understand HAL taking precautions.

Normally in these scenarios, they do post a warning in either the When and Where or by announcement but they might have been caught off guard on the World Cruise. Hard to say.

I haven't been on a cruise yet where I couldn't bring flowers on board (including ports in Australia, New Zealand, South Pacific, Europe, etc.) so I would say that HAL is quite consistent ;) But if there is a special warning, bug, pestilence, etc. which could affect the ship or passengers then certainly caution has to be taken and they cannot be permitted.

This is why I'm willing to believe that companies have a reason (usually) for rules that I may think don't make sense. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt because I may not know every reason behind a rule.

I don't know that it was a huge infestation, or that the NZ customs agents knew it was a huge infestation. If they saw one bug, they can detain a ship until it is fumigated. It appears that Japan has a problem with stink bugs this year, and they are getting into the wheelwells and engine areas of the cars. Ship's crewmen are not trained to tell one bug from another, so they probably had no idea that this was a problem.

Great for the perspective and very undestandab le. :)