jewelry

mamayer

I have used Diamonds International and their associated stores Tanzanite International, etc. many times and found them to be quite reliable. If you are knowledgable about value and prices before you leave home you can get good deals from them with a little "dealing." Two of my friends have had rings appraised after returning home and the appraisals came in higher than they paid.

Sue

sueclark@aol.com

Constellation Transatlantic 9/7/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;9;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Infinity Panama Canal 4/17/05

Just a tip about appraisals. Appraisal value for fine jewelry should be about 2-3 times the price paid. If you pay $1,000 for a piece of jewelry, it should appraise for at least $2,000, and as much as $3,000.

If you want to buy Jewelry the best place to buy it is on 47th in NYC the Diamond district. When speaking to some of the dealers in St. Thomas and St. Marteen -- they laughed and told me that is exactly where they do to buy there jewelry. Watches in New York (allname brands except Rolex) are typically discounted 40% and most designers roughly the same. I had on a pair of earning from one designer and a-- the earnings were 295. in NY in St. Thomas they were 550. and a "Bargain" because you did noito have to pay tax dah!! Had a ring stolen from my house by a painter( won't get into that) justt to say it was a gift from my husband for my 50th birthday, I was heartbroken, we left for our cruise and there was the saame ring in one of the ships in St. Thomas. I tried to wheel and deal/ really hard ring was almost 1500 mmore than I paid. Finally gave up and went to my Jewelry on 47th street, he called designer/ and they gave me the ring for what I had paid for it 4 years before( they had siad the price had gone up 200 dollars). I do not work on 47th streert nor doI have family there. If you want the names of some very reliable jewelers there ypu can E-Mail me and would be glad to forward them. Beware the islands are a rip off

norm

I dont think they are always a rip off, and you have to be an informed consumer. If you are not 'going to new york' but are going to st. thomas, then why not shop? Just be wise.

I know from personal experience that a watch i priced here locally for $1,700.00 + i was able to buy for $1,200.00 in St. Thomas. Same watch, same model, etc. The only bad experience I had was trying to get it sized (basically I 'forgot' to have this done at the store), but eventually, I got it sized back at home for a few additional dollars.

Saving over $400 on something isn't a 'rip off' in my mind.

Never the less, Buyer beware.

I usually go to my jeweler here for a lesson on whatever stone I might be looking for. He is very helpful and I have returned with some really beautiful stones (which he set for me). I don't buy set stones in the ports. If you have some one at home willing to set the stone buy them loose. You can bring home as many loose stones as you like without paying tax or duty. The amount paid or the value doesn't matter.

Peanuts

Summit 02/07/05

Miracle 3/1/04 and 3/6/04

Legend 2/03

Triumph 2/02

Fascination 1/01

Sea Princess 12-99

Elation 2-99

Jezzdog is right. Most of the jewelry places in the islands are ripoffs. They prey on unsuspecting tourists that are only in port for a few hours. The stores that are recommended by the cruise lines pay a fee to be recommended. If you know what you are buying you can get prices back home from reputable jewelers.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;3;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

You know...there's is something exciting about buying jewellery on vacation. I don't know whether it is the relaxed mood of "the one who pays the bills", the allure of the QUANTITY and the CHOICE, or the association of " a good time" whenever we wear it.

Having said that...while on a cruise, so far, all I have bought is "David Yurman". I won't buy anything in most of the stores..although I must admit...to my DH's chagrin, I love to look.

Final wise word...if you love it and you will wear it often, it doesn't really matter if you overpay (a little!)I once read in a magazine that we should divide the number of times we wear something into the price....figuring it that way something very costly could turn out to be less per wearing than something inexpensive. I like this kind of calculation!!!!!

Have fun shopping...and enjoy your purchases.

I sell jewelry as a side line and I know what the markup out there is. I only have one thing to say to those who are buying retail. If you like it, the price is right and you will WARE it buy it. If it is going to keep other peices company in a deposit or jewelry box, don't buy it. It is not an investment.

grace m

I have always had excellent value and price from Little Switzerland, which, incidently, is now owned by Tiffany & Co. I am a former Tiffany employee who can honestly say that Tiffany is one of the best companies around!

icon_cool.gif Jill icon_cool.gif

Summit 4/05

Summit 4/04

Millennium 10/02

Millennium 11/01

Century 12/99

Sovereign of the Seas 4/99

Splendour of the Seas 5/98

You'll find a lot of differing opinions on this. We've bought from both Majesty Jewlers in St. Martin (a couple of nice pieces) and at Diamonds International in St. Thomas.

I think that buying my wife jewelry there was a lot of fun and romantic and meant a lot to her. The first buys were a necklace for our 25th anniversary.

Do I think I got the best deal in the world? Not at all. Do I think that it was a better buy than a local jewelry store at the mall? Yes - and a lot more fun traveling there to pick it out!!

Be at least a little aware of what you are looking for and local prices before you leave, be daring to barter some, and have fun. You'll remember it far longer than going to the mall or downtown in a big city, and it will mean more to you.

Larry

A couple of years ago, I found a great diamond tennis bracelet at Tanzanite International in St Thomas. I still feel it was a very good price after comparing local jewelry stores. I wear it almost everyday with dress clothes and jeans. It has special memories since it was DH and my first cruise. I shopped their last Nov and prices weren't as good but I think it was the salesperson I had. Memories are priceless so if you like it and it's affordable, buy it. Each time you put it on you will remember that beautiful island paradise and that special day. I do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diannedri:

Mamayer... what is your email address? I'd love to know the jewelers you recommend in NYC.

thanks, Dianne

diannedri@yahoo.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dianne, I have been out ot town. When Jezz responds to me I will let you know.

mamayer1@aol.com

I'll add a 2 cent opinion here if I may. I have purchased things in many different islands, including St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Curacao, Grand Cayman & Aruba. They were fine pcs, appraised at the "proper" amount, etc.

In Feb. my DH surprised me for my early birthday with a ring he purchased on board Summit. He had spent the best part of the 11 day cruise researching & shopping & comparing. He got what he thought was a good pc @ a great price.

WELL..........we have a personal jeweler here that we have known & trusted for several years. He just appraised the ring & he was surprised at not only the quality, workmanship & caliber of stones, but the price. It appraised at more than 4 times what Celebrity sold it to us for!!!

I guess my motto is, don't overlook the stores on board, sometimes, they are the best! Be smart, be wise & know your product!

Rosie

E-mail me <a href="mailto:JNLROSE@AOL.COM">here</a href>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;26;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Look out MERCURY Here we come!!!

September 19, 2005--"Millie in the Med"--We're there!

Archived