Info on getting to and visiting Manhatten from the QM2

funcruiser2000

There is a relatively new ferry service that operates from the Red Hook pier to Wall Street in Manhattan:

https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

How much luggage will you have and can you manage it on your own?

Amtrak only has luggage checkin for trains that have baggage cars - long haul overnight trains to Canada, Chicago, or Florida. Otherwise it goes on overhead racks or alcoves in the passanger cars.

BlueRiband, we will probably have quite a bit of luggage, I'm afraid. I think it is probably too early to look as we are talking about late May 2019, but I will try to find a train heading to Florida that has a baggage car. We are going to Washington, DC. We will probably spend even more time in the lovely Penn Station waiting for a long-haul train... Thanks, for the ferry info; I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I certainly will. :)

alex_drew - it makes me sad thinking of you spending hours in Penn Station. Seriously, you're right near a couple of NY sights (Empire State Building & Macy's) and either a short walk or subway ride to Times Square (42nd St & Broadway) or just a bit further (but easy subway) to Grand Central Station & the Chrysler Building or Rockefeller Center & St Patrick's Cathedral.

Midtown Manhattan is an easy to understand grid without hills.

- Mark

alex_drew - it makes me sad thinking of you spending hours in Penn Station. Seriously, you're right near a couple of NY sights (Empire State Building & Macy's) and either a short walk or subway ride to Times Square (42nd St & Broadway) or just a bit further (but easy subway) to Grand Central Station & the Chrysler Building or Rockefeller Center & St Patrick's Cathedral.

Midtown Manhattan is an easy to understand grid without hills.

- Mark

Thank you for the ideas. We've not been to NY for years, but have been to all of those great landmarks. I think my very favorite is St. Patrick's Cathedral. It is truly an experience unlike anything else; very much like being at a play and also just an incredible work of art. Does anyone have experience with what time disembarkation usually is and how long it might reasonably take us to get from Red Hook to the lovely Penn Station after we disembark the QM2?

Generally, it has taken us about a half-hour to travel between midtown and Red Hook in light, midday traffic. If one assumes that you'll disembark around 10:30, take about an hour for customs, that puts you at Penn Station around noon.

As a suggestion:

• Walk a block to 6th ("Ave of the Americas" - but nobody calls it that) and board a M or F subway train towards Uptown/Queens and get off at the Rockefeller Center station on 48th St.
  • Walk through Rockefeller Center to 5th ave to St. Patrick's Cathedral (optional lunch at the sunken garden in Rockefeller Center)
  • Return via the downtown E train at 53rd & 5th. (By the way, that 666 5th St building above the stop is owned by Trump's son-in-law and is the source of many of his debts)

If you want to see Times Square, get off at 42nd St, otherwise remain aboard to Penn Station, 34th St.

If visiting Times Square:

• Optional lunch at Junior's Cheesecake Deli on 45th & Bway (Their main store is in Brooklyn, but this is a legit treat in tourist-central Times Square. BIG portions and what passes for reasonable prices in the area,
  • The upstairs bar at Sardi's (44th across from the Shubert Theatre) has been unchanged for 60 years, except for a growing collection of caricatures. A Broadway landmark seen on old movies (and was the location for Bernadette Peters' cast party for Hello Dolly last week) It's open midday for matinee days (Wed, Sat, Sun). Just turn right inside the door and head up the steps. They also serve lunch downstairs (meh).
  • The 3 story Walgreens at the foot of Times Square on 42nd St is great for grab-and-go food, cheap NY souvenirs, and chemist (drugstore) stuff that you miscalculated or forgot when you packed.
  • If you stop at Times Sq, take a 1, 2, or 3 (red circle) downtown train which will stop at 7th Ave & 34th rather than an A, C, or E train (blue circle) which stops at the slightly less-convenient 8th Ave & 34th St stop. (The underground Penn Station complex is focused toward 7th, but extends to 8th)

Pick up a Black and White cookie when you get back to eat in the waiting area.

Here's a link to a subway map http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html

and the ferry info https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

- Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

Generally, it has taken us about a half-hour to travel between midtown and Red Hook in light, midday traffic. If one assumes that you'll disembark around 10:30, take about an hour for customs, that puts you at Penn Station around noon.

As a suggestion:

• Walk a block to 6th ("Ave of the Americas" - but nobody calls it that) and board a M or F subway train towards Uptown/Queens and get off at the Rockefeller Center station on 48th St.
  • Walk through Rockefeller Center to 5th ave to St. Patrick's Cathedral (optional lunch at the sunken garden in Rockefeller Center)
  • Return via the downtown E train at 53rd & 5th. (By the way, that 666 5th St building above the stop is owned by Trump's son-in-law and is the source of many of his debts)

If you want to see Times Square, get off at 42nd St, otherwise remain aboard to Penn Station, 34th St.

If visiting Times Square:

• Optional lunch at Junior's Cheesecake Deli on 45th & Bway (Their main store is in Brooklyn, but this is a legit treat in tourist-central Times Square. BIG portions and what passes for reasonable prices in the area,
  • The upstairs bar at Sardi's (44th across from the Shubert Theatre) has been unchanged for 60 years, except for a growing collection of caricatures. A Broadway landmark seen on old movies (and was the location for Bernadette Peters' cast party for Hello Dolly last week) It's open midday for matinee days (Wed, Sat, Sun). Just turn right inside the door and head up the steps. They also serve lunch downstairs (meh).
  • The 3 story Walgreens at the foot of Times Square on 42nd St is great for grab-and-go food, cheap NY souvenirs, and chemist (drugstore) stuff that you miscalculated or forgot when you packed.
  • If you stop at Times Sq, take a 1, 2, or 3 (red circle) downtown train which will stop at 7th Ave & 34th rather than an A, C, or E train (blue circle) which stops at the slightly less-convenient 8th Ave & 34th St stop. (The underground Penn Station complex is focused toward 7th, but extends to 8th)

Pick up a Black and White cookie when you get back to eat in the waiting area.

Here's a link to a subway map http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html

and the ferry info https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

- Mark

Wow, I'm putting all of this great info into my "must see in NY" folder. We really do need to visit NYC again, and not just a rushed visit waiting for Amtrak!!! Thanks for all of the info!