Aft balcony cabin

Sorgue

We went on a Baltic cruise from Copenhagen on October 4, 2017 sailing on Norwegian Getaway. It was our first cruise and now we are hooked and looking forward to our next (hopefuly longer) cruise. We had a balcony on deck 9 and we were happy with it. I heard on Cruise Radio podcast that it is ideal to try and get an aft balcony because they are bigger. Has anyone experienced an aft balcony on NCL and would they recommend one?

I often get aft balconies if possible. Not because they are bigger (although they often are), but because I think they are a great location.

They are more sheltered from any wind, and also I think that you get a better view and can see both sides (although obviously not what is ahead of you). For example when sailing out of Venice people on side balconies only get to see what is on their side of the ship.

As has been said the aft balconies are often bigger. You need to do some investigation to confirm which ones are the better size. There are some aft rooms on some ships that are the same size as standard ones.

One word of warning. On the newer ships (including Getaway) the aft rooms are below Spice H2O. I have never taken an aft room for that reason. You hear conflicting stories about whether noise from Spice is a problem. It seems that you are fine on the lower decks, but on the higher ones, some people report not hearing anything whilst others say the music was very loud. Personally, this isn’t a risk I’m willing to take, so I haven’t yet used an aft room on the ships with Spice H2O.

If you are just after a bigger balcony on a ship like the Getaway then I would advise also looking at the mini suites with large balcony on deck 8 or the large balcony rooms on deck 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer aft suites for the balcony as well. On almost all ships you can turn the TV to a bridge view to see what is ahead of the ship and with an aft balcony you can see both sides. They also have excellent wind protection.

The size of the balcony varies, you have to look at the individual room. Some are slightly larger, some are considerably larger, and some corner aft suites will have wrap balconies that go around the side.

As with any room you have to pay close attention to what is above you, especially on higher decks where you may have a club on top of you, or deck chairs that get dragged around at 0430 in the morning.

(y):)

We had an aft balcony on the Getaway on deck 10 and we were fine with noise -- although I have heard about the complaints much higher up.

It was an amazing experience. The most relaxing of all my balconies outside of the Haven.