shore excursions in Panama

Corby44

We will be taking the partial canal cruise on the Brilliance Jan 23. Looking at the "two ocean railroad journey", or the "Panama canal by train and bus". Does anyone have any experience with these tours? Which would be the most enjoyable? By the descriptions on the web-site, they appear to be quite similar.

We took the Panama canal cruise last spring and didn't book any tours in Panama and were really glad we didn't because when you first get to the canal in the morning, everybody and their brother is up on deck trying to get the perfect shot of the ship going through the canal. In the afternoon, when you go back through, those that stayed on board (us) were able to get a bird's eye view of the canal and the ship going through the canal, and the ship's photographers are even out there with their wide angle lenses taking pictures. So IMHO - stay on the ship and enjoy going through the canal without all the people jockeying for position for the perfect photo op. After all that's the main reason you are taking the cruise right? To go through the canal? Have fun it's an experience you won't soon forget.

We did a full transit (W-E) in October on the Serenade. Our first time through was E-W and both times I heard that people got off in the middle of Gatun lake to take tours on land. This had always, and this time was no exception made me curious why anyone would go on a Canal cruise, only to get off to do a land excursion, when the Panama Canal cruise is the reason I take it. It is such a wonder. I got up the courage to ask a few people I met this time as to why do the land excursion when the Canal should be the high point. The answer I got was that they wanted to see more of the interior of the area. Well, let me tell you almost all that came back that I questioned once again if they enjoyed the excursion said hands down, that they didn't. Since we had a delayed transit, it meant that getting on the excursion was late, therefore the excursion itself was rushed, according to these folks. And they also said that the town they went to to see some of the local color was dirty and dusty and in our case muddy, as it had been raining most of our transit.

I mean no disrespect.If you want to take and excursion, that is your choice, but if you have never been through the Panama Canal before, take in it's marvel.

Corby44...we're on the same cruise as you are.....we are going to stay on the ship instead of getting off....we've done many cruises but this is our first PC cruise too....we have an aft cabin and haven't decided whether we're staying in it to watch or not....time will tell

Have u signed up for the meet and mingle??...there is a thread that has over 2500 posts on it for people on this cruise....join in on it....it's got some people on it that have cruised several times together but they sound like a great group....

Look forward to meeting ya on the ship....

julie

Corby 44 - Ours was only the partial transit too - you go in and anchor at Gatun Lake and then the people that are on the tours get off there - I think they tender them off..Not sure because we woke up at 5am to see the ship go through the locks and didn't get too much video or anything because my digital video was very sensative to the humidity and it was really humid that morning so I kept getting condensation..argh. We went through three locks on the way to Gatun Lake and then went back through three locks. Much better luck in the afternoon because the sun was completely up and not so much difference in the cabin temperature and the outside temperature. I hope you decide not to take the excursion - but if you do it's your trip and it's up to you, I just think you will be so glad you stayed on the boat if you decide to do that. But hey my philosophy is that if you do something wrong the first time - then that just gives you an excuse to do it again and hey who wouldn't want to cruise again right??? have a great time!!

Hi Corby- we will be on the Jan 23 Brilliance also, our first Panama cruise. We will be staying on the ship. We want to watch the view of the locks comming and going.

Here is a link to our Meet and Mingle thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=132200&highlight=Brilliance+Seas come on over and meet up with a really friendly bunch of people! We do have a list of tours that some of the group have lined up for the islands. Check it out!

Bev J

We will be taking the partial canal cruise on the Brilliance Jan 23. Looking at the "two ocean railroad journey", or the "Panama canal by train and bus". Does anyone have any experience with these tours? Which would be the most enjoyable? By the descriptions on the web-site, they appear to be quite similar.

DH and I did the exact trip and booked the train trip (two oceans) One thing to do is pay the extra for the domed car. You will love the experience. Because of this shore excursion I have a picture of the bridge that connects North America to central america. It's awsome. I hope you enjoy this trip as much as we did. Also the morning that you enter the canal go to the back of the ship. Stake outyour spot. That is where you will be able to see the locks close in back of the ship and watch the ship rise. But be prepared. It's good to get a lounge chair because as the ship enters into the locks and people in the front of the ship realize that they can't see from that angle they will try to but right in front of you at the rail. The lounge chair keeps them back and you at the rail. Good luck

Happy Holidays!!

Thanks for the info.

I think we will still book one of those two excursions.

We will still get to see us lock thru on the way out.

We live on the Mississippi river about 2 miles from a lock & dam, so we see barge traffic lock thru all summer long.

Archived