Foldable sleeper in quad balcony on Getaway question

OK, I am confused by this one. I am a newer travel agent so haven't dealt with this before. Spoke with NCL regarding a BD category guarantee cabin - quad balcony. She said bedding could be 1) Sofa bed + pullman, 2) pullman + foldable bed/playpen or 3) foldable bed/playpen + sofa bed. Kids are 9 & 13 not babies - what is the "foldable bed"? She said its small or a playpen. I said how can they give that with kids that age and she said they don't look at the ages, just see "child" and assign cabin and you may get a foldable bed/ playpen. That sounds crazy to me. I know the answer is "don't book a guarantee" lol but it is a significant savings.

Does anyone have a picture of the foldable bed?

Thanks!

Christie

OK, I am confused by this one. I am a newer travel agent so haven't dealt with this before. Spoke with NCL regarding a BD category guarantee cabin - quad balcony. She said bedding could be 1) Sofa bed + pullman, 2) pullman + foldable bed/playpen or 3) foldable bed/playpen + sofa bed. Kids are 9 & 13 not babies - what is the "foldable bed"? She said its small or a playpen. I said how can they give that with kids that age and she said they don't look at the ages, just see "child" and assign cabin and you may get a foldable bed/ playpen. That sounds crazy to me. I know the answer is "don't book a guarantee" lol but it is a significant savings.

Does anyone have a picture of the foldable bed?

Thanks!

Christie

Call and talk to another agent. I've only booked a quad balcony once for 4 teenagers and the beds were all normal size.

That NCL agent was crazy & probably reading off the scripted manual in giving you generalized info, LOL.

In general, the Getaway, Breakaway & Escape - all being mega ships with quad occupancy balconies should have beddings for 4 adults - one of them a full size convertible sofabed (foam mattress w. top padding & sheets) - same as those with triple/double occupancies ... all have a sofa for sitting.

The quads will have a upper pullman bed, over the sofa but otherwise recessed & stored directly up into the ceiling when not used by the Room Steward.

Between the Queen bed (2 single beds combined) and the sofa, there is room, very tight (of course) to set up a foldable playpen for a young child, as in a toddler, up to 3 or 4 years old - similar to these as pictured (not from NCL but about the same, couldn't find one here on CC ... someone who sailed can help, if they recall or took pictures, etc.) Sometimes, a search on YT might yield a video review of it, if you have the time.

In all our years of cruising and one of our nieces sailed on both the BA but more so on the Getaway in the past few years, when the smaller little "monster" was young, and had never been automatically or randomly given a small & foldable playpen as "default or GTY" bedding with 2 children in the booking. Granted that they didn't book a GTY balcony - my understanding is that they need to request one or that the Room Steward can get one to setup for use, if desired upon boarding.

Unless someone else come along with info to the contrary, I would just go ahead & book a BD GTY for your client & see what they end up with - check & confirm once assigned, by checking the deck plan's info for the specific stateroom. There is no way for a 8 or 9 days old to sleep in a foldable playpen, not even a 6 or 7 years old ...

http://www.liveandlovetravel.ca/uploads/3/0/7/5/30750253/_640214_orig.jpg

BD is a decent sub-category within and they should be okay, and, depending on the sailing date - might end up with a "slight" upgrade to a BC (although, nowadays with the Upgrade Advantage - any big leap to a much higher category for free is likely out of the question ... never know.) One caution is that the Room Steward will likely setup both beds & leave them as is during the day, the pullman bed over/on top of the sofabed - sort of like a bunk bed (without the vertical frames) - a step ladder will be there to climb up & down for the kids.

Take a look at a closeup of the sofa/bed on our last BA (sister ship to GA) - #3 and #4 on this post .. it's a quad occupancy Balcony (actually, I think ours was a BD - GTY upgrade, just 2 of us sailing) on Deck 9 AFT

The 4th bed, pullman is recessed into the ceiling but you can see the metal frame's outline.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54436173&postcount=65

Call & speak to another NCL "partner" on your agent's hotline & see what s/he has to say about it - maybe a more informed one can check. Do a mock booking for 4 guests yourself & see what's currently available for "BD" or "BC" categories, that should give you some ideas of what they might "assign"

One caution is that the Room Steward will likely setup both beds & leave them as is during the day,

Really? That would be annoying and as far as I know, not in keeping with industry standards. I'd expect them folded and out of the way. Beds to be turned down like the others during turn down service.

Thank you and thanks for the detailed reply mking-

Yes it sounded very strange to me so I called back to double check; and got the same NCL partner! Lol!

I searched google and you tube extensively for an image or video of this mysterious “foldable sleeper” and couldn’t find anything. All I saw on quad balcony rooms were sleeper sofa & Pullman. Maybe that was old info from older ships and not the new mega ones.

I looked for BD rooms and all that is available on this sailing is GTY so couldn’t find any more scoop.

I just can’t imagine that any “child” under 12 bookings run the risk of a foldable sleeper/playpen when booking a GTY.

Thanks!