Need Voom help from Host Clarea

Hey Bob. We boarded the Majesty today. I have lots of things to say but I need your advice on just one particular thing.

On my last few cruises, I could have sworn we communicated on board, those of us with iPhones, by texting. We used Messenger for only those who had Samsung phones.

I paid for a 2 device pkg and set it up. All was well until we left Port Canaveral. Tried to send a message to the hubby and it said I had to turn off Airplane Mode and try again. Another reason I know I used iPhone texting before is because the hubby hadn’t downloaded the Messenger App.

I went to Guest Services (the Voom person) and she said there is no way to “text” on any ship. The only messaging is via FB Messenger.

Is there any truth to what she’s telling me? Verizon is our provider and we’ve never had international calling.

I know if you can’t help there’s someone out there who can.

Thanks,

Cathy

when you turn on airplane mode it disables the WIFI-

you need to turn wifi back on manually, then connect to voom, then try messaging again

Did that.

also you need enable wifi calling under settings>cellular

Never did that before but I do remember setting it up when I read about it a few months ago.

Thanks. I don’t know if I want to do that for this cruise. We’re only gone till Friday.

Cathy

You should be able to use iMessage and any other type of internet based messaging (WhatsApp, etc.) using VOOM on any Royal ship.

That’s what I thought! Any suggestions how I might rectify it?

Cathy

That’s what I thought! Any suggestions how I might rectify it?

Cathy

I would turn on Airplane Mode and then turn on WiFi. Connect to the Royal WiFI wireless service and enter your access information for VOOM. Once that has been accepted, test your internet access by using your web browser to display any web site. If that works, then your messaging should work. If your messaging does not work even though you can browse different web sites, I would guess something beyond my ability to debug is not configured properly on your phone.

I experienced this a few weeks ago when I was trying to use wifi to send an iMessage at Mr Sanchos in airplane mode. Initially nothing would send but after I restarted my phone in airplane mode and reconnected it worked via wifi