Family of 4. Family harbor?

htowncruiser

We are planning a cruise on the horizon for february. Me, husband, boy 11 and girl 13. This will be my 13th cruise but the first for the kids!!! I am torn between 2 connecting insides or the family harbor aft balcony. Thoughts were kids can hang out in the family harbor lounge during busy get ready times but worried there will be a million kids everywhere all the time .Hubby hates the thought of an inside (we always have a balcony) so he is pushing for the aft balcony. I want the kids first cruise to be a good one!

Thoughts?

Are the two insides family harbor, you didn't say? The aft balconies in the Family Harbor are a unique and new class of cabin. I would most certainly choose the aft balcony. I'm booked in one for my family of four on the Horizon as well. Don't wait too long to decide as there is only ONE aft balcony in the Family Harbor that hold four people. Better snag it quick as I did or it'll be gone real quick.

Are the two insides family harbor, you didn't say? The aft balconies in the Family Harbor are a unique and new class of cabin. I would most certainly choose the aft balcony. I'm booked in one for my family of four on the Horizon as well. Don't wait too long to decide as there is only ONE aft balcony in the Family Harbor that hold four people. Better snag it quick as I did or it'll be gone real quick.

THIS

There is only one aft extended balcony for 4. I'm booked in July and made sure not to take the balcony next to it! Hehe

Family Harbor for us is more for the conveniences like food nearby for when time and hunger don't mix and getting on and off the boat. My 13 year old will do what he wants either way.

We are planning a cruise on the horizon for february. Me, husband, boy 11 and girl 13. This will be my 13th cruise but the first for the kids!!! I am torn between 2 connecting insides or the family harbor aft balcony. Thoughts were kids can hang out in the family harbor lounge during busy get ready times but worried there will be a million kids everywhere all the time .Hubby hates the thought of an inside (we always have a balcony) so he is pushing for the aft balcony. I want the kids first cruise to be a good one!

Thoughts?

We were on Vista in November and I walked by the Family Harbor lounge area several times and it was never crowded.... Think it as more of a large family room with a small food area for snacks, drinks and breakfast in morning. then several rooms where you can sit and play games, watch TV and play video games. Very convenient and a great option to take kids to keep them busy while you're getting ready or to grab a snack and drink. It is unsupervised but atleast its a place where your children can have some freedom and you have no worries of them wandering the ship

Our family of 4 did a Family Harbor Cove Balcony on the Vista and have one book in May on the Horizon. It worked out great for us. The Family Harbor Lounge was rarely crowded and was a huge benefit. For instance, 3 of our 4 are early risers and one likes to sleep in. The 3 early risers went and ate breakfast and watched tv or played games on sea days while the other slept a little extra. It was also great for afternoon snacks.

Like others have stated, if you want the Aft Balcony in that area with 4 you better book now. Why Carnival only made one of those rooms a quad I'll never know. We wanted it for our cruise and didn't get it. On the Vista the Family Harbor Cove Balconies were hard to get because there are only 4 but they all sleep 4 (same as on the Horizon but now with several Aft Balconies that sleep 3). The 1 Family Harbor Aft Balcony that sleeps 4 is kind of the white whale in the Family Harbor area.

Our family of 4 did a Family Harbor Cove Balcony on the Vista and have one book in May on the Horizon. It worked out great for us. The Family Harbor Lounge was rarely crowded and was a huge benefit. For instance, 3 of our 4 are early risers and one likes to sleep in. The 3 early risers went and ate breakfast and watched tv or played games on sea days while the other slept a little extra. It was also great for afternoon snacks.

Like others have stated, if you want the Aft Balcony in that area with 4 you better book now. Why Carnival only made one of those rooms a quad I'll never know. We wanted it for our cruise and didn't get it. On the Vista the Family Harbor Cove Balconies were hard to get because there are only 4 but they all sleep 4 (same as on the Horizon but now with several Aft Balconies that sleep 3). The 1 Family Harbor Aft Balcony that sleeps 4 is kind of the white whale in the Family Harbor area.

Which cabin number did you stay in?

We had OV 2454 on Vista it was great, we upgraded from OV to a cove balcony on Horizon & the same number has terrible reviews on Vista as it’s noisy under the galley. 2412

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Which cabin number did you stay in?

We had OV 2454 on Vista it was great, we upgraded from OV to a cove balcony on Horizon & the same number has terrible reviews on Vista as it’s noisy under the galley. 2412

We were in 2419 on the Vista and booked the same room on the Horizon. We didn't hear a thing from above. We've stayed in Cove Balcony rooms on the Dream and Breeze, all under the galley, and haven't ever had an issue. Maybe there is noise and we don't notice it, maybe we've been really lucky with room choices, or maybe the complaints about noise from the galley are overblown. Cove Balconies and now the Family Harbor Cove Balconies are our favorite category to book.

We were in 2419 on the Vista and booked the same room on the Horizon. We didn't hear a thing from above. We've stayed in Cove Balcony rooms on the Dream and Breeze, all under the galley, and haven't ever had an issue. Maybe there is noise and we don't notice it, maybe we've been really lucky with room choices, or maybe the complaints about noise from the galley are overblown. Cove Balconies and now the Family Harbor Cove Balconies are our favorite category to book.

Yep ive never stayed under galley but read more bad than good. This reply is great, gives hope for those rooms. We are an aft family so the family harbor perks are nice. We always pay a bit more anyway for aft balconies. MUCH cheaper than aft Havana.

We stayed in a balcony suite in the FB. Got a call to upgrade a week before our cruise. We were booked ov in the family harbor originally. We loved it for the fact that our room was across from the lounge. Loved being able to have breakfast so close by, and the coffee machine was a plus. So much better than the lido coffee.

Can anyone on the cruise use the family harbor lounge? Or is it only for people who stay in those rooms? I am guessing its the latter, but how exactly do they monitor it?

No and I'm not sure if they monitor....but it really is out of the way. Its on deck 2 in the middle of the cabin area.....You really wouldn't go down to this floor unless you had a cabin on deck 2

Can anyone on the cruise use the family harbor lounge? Or is it only for people who stay in those rooms? I am guessing its the latter, but how exactly do they monitor it?

The card for your cabin also opens the doors for the lounge. You could only get in if someone opened the doors for you.

It is a key carded and it's an area that is paid for (extra) in the Family Harbor area. I would be upset if people were sneaking into this small area from elsewhere on the ship to utilize it and eat the food meant for the people who paid extra for it.

The card for your cabin also opens the doors for the lounge. You could only get in if someone opened the doors for you.

It is a key carded and it's an area that is paid for (extra) in the Family Harbor area. I would be upset if people were sneaking into this small area from elsewhere on the ship to utilize it and eat the food meant for the people who paid extra for it.

We were 3 rooms forward of the Lounge on the Vista. While I witnesses a few people coming to the door and trying to get in, evenntually someone would let them in. I really didn't take offense to it as the lounge was rarely full. There are only maybe 8 tables in there for eating, people would move in & out pretty quickly. Breakfast food was sort of a miniature of the Lido buffet. Kind of a quick bite vs. going up to Lido for the full menu. Still made it great to get breakfast for a fast trip to catch your excursion for the day.

I guess to each their own but it bothers me. We were on the Vista and we had a Cloud 9 Spa cabin. You needed your room key to get into the thermal spa area. We'd see people (usually the same people) every day walking up to the glass and have someone they knew in the spa let them in to utilize the spa. You know they didn't have passes and were sneaking in. Carnival never came in and checked. It wasn't right after people paid for spa passes and spa cabins. The space is small enough as it is with limited loungers to have the scammers using them. When I sail the Horizon Family Harbor and see anything like this happening in the lounge I'll be sure to let the concierge or security know every time. I'm not paying extra for these amenities to have the freeloaders sneak in and help themselves to things intended solely for those who paid for it.

• Like 4

Thanks all for the thoughts and advice! We booked the aft balcony in the family harbor. So excited :) Now we just have to wait 11 months till cruise time (luckily I have my wedding and honeymoon between now and then to keep me busy)!

My friend has got s 3 bed aft on the Inaugural cruise. I’m sure you’ll love it.

Thanks all for the thoughts and advice! We booked the aft balcony in the family harbor. So excited :) Now we just have to wait 11 months till cruise time (luckily I have my wedding and honeymoon between now and then to keep me busy)!
Congrats! You'll make it! You could be me! I booked mine in January for April 18th 2020! :o

Awesome!, We have 2503 Aft Balcony in July. I'll let ya know!

Awesome!, We have 2503 Aft Balcony in July. I'll let ya know!

2503 is the one my friend has for the Inaugural cruise. I’ll come & let you know, but I don’t know how to post photos on here.

I guess to each their own but it bothers me. We were on the Vista and we had a Cloud 9 Spa cabin. You needed your room key to get into the thermal spa area. We'd see people (usually the same people) every day walking up to the glass and have someone they knew in the spa let them in to utilize the spa. You know they didn't have passes and were sneaking in. Carnival never came in and checked. It wasn't right after people paid for spa passes and spa cabins. The space is small enough as it is with limited loungers to have the scammers using them. When I sail the Horizon Family Harbor and see anything like this happening in the lounge I'll be sure to let the concierge or security know every time. I'm not paying extra for these amenities to have the freeloaders sneak in and help themselves to things intended solely for those who paid for it.

Thank you for the replies. I totally understand what you mean. I would be bothered by paying for a service that people were sneaking in to use for free also. That's why I was wondering if it was monitored. At least it sounds like its not too crowded, so if I book the family harbor rooms my family can still enjoy the lounge without being over crowded. Its these people who sneak around trying to get stuff for free that causes prices to go up! That's the annoying part. I don't care what they do, but it does eventually effect everyone with price increases.

• 5 months later...

I am looking at a Family Harbor Suite on the Horizon for my family. At first I ruled it out because I was reading about noise. But now I'm rethinking after reading everyone's input here. Do you think if we booked the Suite furthest back it would be the quietest? So we are closest to the edge of the Galley above? Or do you think it matters? I just love the idea of these suites and the lounge, but I am fairly noise sensitive.

• 4 months later...

I am looking into getting an interior Family Harbor Suite. We are a family of 4. Is there a couch that folds out or Pullman beds from the ceiling? The last time the four of us sailed in a regular interior our cabin did not have a couch and it made for a crowded room at times.