Help! I don't know where to start planning the specifics...

lisabees

Congratulations - I see we agree. There is still nothing in writing saying that Bare Feet orBathing Suits are permitted. And, I have found nothing that says Jeans or T-Shirts are allowed, either.

Please re-Read post #15 and pay particular attention to the section I have looked through recent cruise documents - Tickets, Compass, etc. and NO WHERE can I find anything, in writing that states - "Come as you are for dinner in the dining room", "Shorts permitted in dining room for dinner" or "Jeans allowed in the dining room for dinner".

Oh, and now we are at 17 of 28.

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=00003r7uyfPObwi9-KWfJ3UFI4U:v2mocc7o#8

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and the remainder are casual nights.

5 – night cruises include one formal and the remainder casual nights.

6 – night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder are casual nights .

7 to 9-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights are casual nights.

10 to13-night cruises include two formal nights and two smart casual nights, and the remainder are casual nights.

14+ -night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights and the remainder are casual nights.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Since RCI has taken the time to provide rules about what is not permitted, one could take the position that anything not on that list is permitted. The section of the web site you continue to quote is stated as a suggested guideline. Thus it is optional - not required. As many have noted, jeans are clearly permitted in the dining room for dinner.

Congratulations - I see we agree. There is still nothing in writing saying that Bare Feet orBathing Suits are permitted. And, I have found nothing that says Jeans or T-Shirts are allowed, either.

There is nothing that says shoes are permitted either.

Since RCI has taken the time to provide rules about what is not permitted, one could take the position that anything not on that list is permitted. The section of the web site you continue to quote is stated as a suggested guideline. Thus it is optional. As many have noted, jeans are clearly permitted in the dining room for dinner.

Ah! But they did take the time to list what is acceptable.....

And remember, Jeans are only permiteed by the wait staff, so they don't miss out on gratuities.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=00003r7uyfPObwi9-KWfJ3UFI4U:v2mocc7o#8

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and the remainder are casual nights.

6 – night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder are casual nights .

7 to 9-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights are casual nights.

10 to13-night cruises include two formal nights and two smart casual nights, and the remainder are casual nights.

14+ -night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights and the remainder are casual nights.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

19 out of 30

Ah! But they did take the time to list what is acceptable.....

19 out of 30

Yes, they do provide a suggested guideline. However, it is not an exclusive list (for example, no mention of footwear). The suggested guideline is optional - in other words, it is up to the person to deside if (s)he wants to follow the suggested guideline. It is not a requirement, such as the no bathing suit rule (which is not a guideline).

Yes, they do provide a suggested guideline. However, it is not an exclusive list (for example, no mention of footwear). The suggested guideline is optional - in other words, it is up to the person to deside if (s)he wants to follow the suggested guideline. It is not a requirement, such as the no bathing suit rule (which is not a guideline).

You asked for my opinion: If everyone would follow the rules, all rules, as set forth by RCI, whether suggested, implied or otherwise, These discussions would not be taking place.

You asked for my opinion: If everyone would follow the rules, all rules, as set forth by RCI, whether suggested, implied or otherwise, These discussions would not be taking place.

Well I am glad to see you expressing your own opinion rather than quoting the RCI web site. While your point is correct, I am not sure it is a good thing. I also see nothing wrong with these discussions.

You all are incredible for answering my questions in such detail!

My kids are almost 3,6,9,12.

Thanks for reminding me not to worry - you all have helped me to relax. In fact, after posting and reading here, I am starting to get a feel for what needs and doesn't need to get done. And I am getting very excited.

I think we'll go to the formal nights (dressed in jeans. Oh just kidding of course!) Sounds like a fun night - the kids will like it! And when packing for six, what's six more outfits?

Thanks for the arcade tip - I'll be sure to request that things not be charged to the room by the kids. I'll also provide them a crash course in saving money specifically for cruise spending - extra chores around the house, holiday gift money etc. We'll also be sure to set some ground rules (no drinking soda).

Should I make reservations for certain restaurants now or should I wait?

Someone mentioned packing - OMG! I should start now! I am not looking forward to that!

Thanks again!

Lisa

Lisabees,

On the subject of packing, I would suggest putting the suitcases in an out of the way place in your home, and as you come across items, or think of something you will need, just add them to the cases. This will help to alleviate the last minute rush, and the possibility of forgetting something important. Make sure you don't forget your tickets, passports, birth certificates, etc. If your family is a blended marriage (children from a previous marriage), you will need a notarized letter from the ex-spouse, to take the children out of the country, the airlines are the ones who enforce this law. For the future, it also applies to any friends of your children that you might want to take on a cruise.

A couple more things. If you are flying, be sure to check the luggage weight restrictions with your airline, and then weigh your bags. If you are overweight on any bag they will charge you a steep fee. Allow a little extra space for souvenirs that you will bring home.

If your kids are big soda drinkers at home, you can buy a sticker for their cards (at any bar on the ship, also applies to adults) that will allow them unlimited soda (at any bar, no cans, just a glass with ice). Be sure that they have plenty to drink, as you can get dehydrated in the hot tropical sun. dont forget the sunscreen.

You can arrange with the Guest Relations desk for a babysitter, on any evening, so that you and your husband can go out and enjoy yourselves. Its about $5.00 an hour per child. On the first evening, when you go with your kids to Adventure Ocean, you will sign them up with the program, and you can elect to allow your children to come and go at will, or, to only leave when signed in or out by you parents. I would suggest, signing in and out as the best option for you, maybe the 12 year old could come and go. However, one of the biggest pet peeves cruisers have is packs of teens and pre-teens, running wild through the ship, pushing every button on the elevators, knocking on cabin doors, etc.

If you need or want anything in your cabin, just ask your room steward, you will find them to be most accomodating. They will have lots of good advice about what to do and when , on or off the ship.

At dinner, in the dining room, encourage your kids to try something new, (like escargot-snails, chilled soups, etc). Unlike a restaurant at home, you are not paying extra to try something you might not eat. If you don't like something, ask your waiter for something else, they have a kids menu of hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries, mac cheese, etc. But we have found that our son, from a very early age would rather try something new and eat from the big folks menu. (Now he is 20 and is a "big folks". If you want, you can have seconds (or even thirds) of anything on the menu, just ask your waiter. They always have an alternate menu of steak, baked potato, chicken. Its available any evening.

My family is very sensitive to motion sickness. It is best prevented, rather than try to cure it when you are already sick. We use Bonine (generic form is meclizine, buy it in a 100 tab bottle). We take one in the AM and one in the PM, and have no problems with motion sickness. Check with your children's pediatrician before giving it to them, but for us, ever since my son was about 8-9, we have used it with great success. Usually the ships motion is a very slow and gentle motion, that, I have found, makes me sleep like a baby.

If you have any more questions, just ask away, most people on here are willing to help.

Hypo

Please re-Read post #15 and pay particular attention to the section I have looked through recent cruise documents - Tickets, Compass, etc. and NO WHERE can I find anything, in writing that states - "Come as you are for dinner in the dining room", "Shorts permitted in dining room for dinner" or "Jeans allowed in the dining room for dinner".

Oh, and now we are at 17 of 28.

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

Wow you are getting a tad annoying!

Dear Lisa,

This is your first cruise and remember it will be the trip of a lifetiime for you and your family. Right now it seems overwhelming. But, BEWARE, you will become addicted. The ship has everything for all ages. The first thing you might be a little reluctant about is leaving your children at Adventure Ocean. I know I was as I wasn't sure about it. Your children are in great hands and after a day you will be relaxed about it. You will find out that they may prefer AO to activities you might want to do with them.

You are assigned a specific dinner seating time and table. When your board if might be a good idea to locate this so you find it more quickly at dinner. They will accomodate the childrens' tastes. There are alternative dining options. Some will cost a surcharge and others not. Just ask.

Go to the RCI excusiton website. You can read all the available tours, cost, lengths, and apropiateness for ages and abilities. You can then book directly throught the website and your tickets will be in your stateroom on arrival.

A must is the ice show. Get your free tickets when they are availabe. You wil be told the time when you board. They are quickly gobbled up so go early to get them. You can get enough for your family.

You will not be able to do everything the first time. But you will be experienced and will try more things the more cruises you take.

Have a great time.

Thank you Hypo and Tommy's Mommy. It's great to hear from other Moms about taking kids. Yes, I am worried about leaving them in AO, but I'm sure I'll get over it quickly. I am more worried about letting them roam the ship without me. I will exercise caution if doing that.

I will check into the Bonine. What are the side effects and is it something my almost 3 year old can take?

From what i understand, we do not need passports until Dec 06. Is that correct?

Thanks AGAIN!

Lisa

Thank you Hypo and Tommy's Mommy. It's great to hear from other Moms about taking kids. Yes, I am worried about leaving them in AO, but I'm sure I'll get over it quickly. I am more worried about letting them roam the ship without me. I will exercise caution if doing that.

I will check into the Bonine. What are the side effects and is it something my almost 3 year old can take?

Thanks AGAIN!

Lisa

Bonine does not have any noticeable side effects that we have experienced. As I said, 1 in the morning and 1 before bed works for us. We buy a 100 tablet bottle of meclizine at WalMart pharmacy for about 12 bucks. For the adults and the twelve year old, it should be just fine, for the younger kids, ask your pediatrician, or the pharmacist, or look at the dosing info on a package of bonine, it is the same medication, just more expensive.

Passports are not required until January 2007, but if you have them it makes check in and return easier. But, don't rush out and get them as they are expensive for 6 people. Just be sure you have birth certificates with an official/raised seal (photocopies probably won't do).

When our son was younger (age of your children) we just put a limit on the amount he could spend $20.00 or so, it makes them feel so adult if they can use their card to purchase something, and it makes them think about using it in the arcade or for drinks, etc.

What kind of cabin (cabins) did you book?

Hypo

You all are incredible for answering my questions in such detail!

My kids are almost 3,6,9,12.

I think we'll go to the formal nights (dressed in jeans. Oh just kidding of course!) Sounds like a fun night - the kids will like it! And when packing for six, what's six more outfits?

Should I make reservations for certain restaurants now or should I wait?

Thanks again!

Lisa

The kids are 3, 6, 9 & 12. All divisible by three. There are six in the family, again a number divisible by three. Is there something special about the number three for your family?

Make sure you only wear your "formal" jeans on formal night (and your best looking formal t-shirt). You will be assigned a table in the main restaurant, so you don't need to make reservations for that. The buffet does not require or take reservations. If you want, you can make reservations for the extra cost restaurants when you are on board the ship.

Bonine does not have any noticeable side effects that we have experienced. As I said, 1 in the morning and 1 before bed works for us. We buy a 100 tablet bottle of meclizine at WalMart pharmacy for about 12 bucks. For the adults and the twelve year old, it should be just fine, for the younger kids, ask your pediatrician, or the pharmacist, or look at the dosing info on a package of bonine, it is the same medication, just more expensive.

Passports are not required until January 2007, but if you have them it makes check in and return easier. But, don't rush out and get them as they are expensive for 6 people. Just be sure you have birth certificates with an official/raised seal (photocopies probably won't do).

When our son was younger (age of your children) we just put a limit on the amount he could spend $20.00 or so, it makes them feel so adult if they can use their card to purchase something, and it makes them think about using it in the arcade or for drinks, etc.

What kind of cabin (cabins) did you book?

Hypo

I would not recommend offering medical advise unless you are a licensed doctor. Bonine is a drug. Buy suggesting it you are offering medical advise.

I would get a passport if you have the time. It is good for ten years. You never know when you might need it, and having it is better than not. Originally the rules were you would need it starting this year. Now the rules are not until next year. Next month the rules could change again.

Just an FYI, the dining room has wonderful food. Don't think you HAVE to make reservations for alternative dining. We have never eaten at the alternative restaurants and have not felt underfed at all!

Here is a trick that I picked up about kids packing: pack whole outfits in ziplock bags - sox, u.wear, shorts, t-shirt. 1 outfit per bag. It makes it easier to find a whole outfit at once, especially with the little ones.

Another trick: beathe deeply, breate deeply . . . everything will be great!

Thanks AGAIN!

Lisa

I would talk to your doctor about what medicine would be good for your kids. I think the packaging on Bonine says it is for 12 years and up. While it might be ok for your 3 year old to take, you would be better off getting advice from your doctor about what it is best.

Hello,

The respondents have given you excellent advice and now from me what may be the most important. Please calm down! You are getting far too worked up over this cruise. As for formal night your children are not expected to be in suits and long dresses but rather what they where to church or family occasions such as weddings (where they are not part of the wedding party). Or, you can skip the formal night altogether and eat in the Windjammer but this means you will miss an especially nice aspect of cruising.

When you get on board the ship and after you get your luggage stored away you will have lots of time to find out what is available. Talk with some of the ship's staff particularly the women officers who have visited these ports many times and listen to their suggestions.

Above all, just relax a bit because no noe wants to go n a cruise with an ulcer!

Fred

My 3 boys loved the Rays, Reef and Rumpoint tour with Nativeway, in Grand Cayman. It was very well-run.

On our next cruise we plan on making Cozumel our beach day. We were 'at sea' this past time due to the hurricane.

Since your kids need pants rather than shorts for dinners, just pack a few extra collared shirts and ties to make it 'formal'. Jackets for the boys are nice but I saw several kids without them who still looked 'dressy'.

I did see the dress code enforced on my past trip. Although not turned away, I did hear a family say that they 'didn't know' they were supposed to 'dress up' and were 'told about' the suggested attire by an employee.

Archived