Help! I don't know where to start planning the specifics...

lisabees

Is there a book or something? Seriously, there are so many details and I have four kids, so I really need to know what I'm doing. We're going on the Voyager to the Western Caribbean in February.

What excursions are best for a family? What are the pros/cons of booking privately vs. the ship? We're supposed to be going to Grand Cayman, Ochos Rios, Cozumel, Labadee.

Do I sign my kids up for Ocean Adventure beforehand? Do I need reservations for shows/restaurants? What about activities? Do I need reservations for Labadee activities?

Do we have to attend formal nights? I really don't want to pack extra clothes, let alone shop for them. What are the other food options during those times?

I am feeling very overwhelmed and really don't want to feel that I wasted tons of time and money because I had no clue...

Lisa

Hi Lisabees:

I will try to help a little; however I have not cruised with children along.

You do not need to attend any of the formal nights; the casual "Windjammer" is open every night for dinner. There is always room service; there is 24/7 food in the promenade. There should also be a Johnny Rockets on board.

You do not need reservations for any of the dining rooms, except the specialty restaurant (optional for a $20 per peson fee). The shows are posted for times according to your assigned dinner seating; there are tickets for the ice show, they are free as well.

I would think that you enroll the children when you board; they will be given special bracelets to wear prior to boarding, and you can get all of the information for the programs then.

In Labadee there might be some reservation items but you should learn about that from the daily newsletter the "Compass" that will be left for you. The Pursers Desk (or front desk) is always a great place to get information that you need. You can see the ship's excursions on line at RCI; there is a general debate on these boards as to what is better - private, or the ship's excursions. You can find information for your ports on their specific board.

Take care, hope that I helped, Karen

I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Shore excursions: ship excursions tend to be more expensive and more crowded than independent excursions, but if there are delays the ship will wait for you if you are on a ship excursion but not if you are off on your own. You need to search around and weigh what sounds better to you. Some excursions you can only find through the ship. Others you can only find through independent operators.

You don't need to pre-register for Adventure Ocean, but do go to the orientation the first day. I've heard that if you want your kids to go to Johnny Rockets w/ AO then you do need to sign them up the first day.

No reservations are necessary for the shows in the main theater. You will need to pick up tickets for the ice shows, but they will have 2 showings for each of the dining room seatings. The compass will tell you when and where to pick up tickets (which are free). Very few activities, if any, will require signing up ahead of time. Watch the compass and it will let you know if any preregistration is required. Usually you just show up for an activity. Occasionally you will have to pay for an activity on board, but the compass will indicate that as well.

The only restaurant you need to make reservations for is Portofino's if you want to go there (it's wonderful and worth the $20pp charge). If you decide you want to eat at Portofino's you might do that the night the kids are at Johnny Rockets w/ AO as it is for ages 13 and up only. Johnny Rockets requires no reservations but can sometimes require a wait. It has a $3.95 per person cover charge plus the cost of any drinks, including milkshakes.

Labadee - if you know you really want to do an activity like parasailing or waverunner then go ahead and sign up now, otherwise just wait. Sometimes there won't be slots left but only for the more limited things. Otherwise you'll be fine signing up once you get to the island. Things like snorkeling, and the play areas don't bother signing up for ahead of time as there will be plenty of opportunities available once you get to the island.

If you don't want to attend formal nights, you can eat in the Windjammer (buffet), order room service, or grab snacks from the Cafe Promenade. You might let your server know ahead of time that you won't be attending though so he won't wait for you if you decide not to attend.

Is there a book or something? Seriously, there are so many details and I have four kids, so I really need to know what I'm doing. We're going on the Voyager to the Western Caribbean in February.

What excursions are best for a family? What are the pros/cons of booking privately vs. the ship? We're supposed to be going to Grand Cayman, Ochos Rios, Cozumel, Labadee.

Do I sign my kids up for Ocean Adventure beforehand? Do I need reservations for shows/restaurants? What about activities? Do I need reservations for Labadee activities?

Do we have to attend formal nights? I really don't want to pack extra clothes, let alone shop for them. What are the other food options during those times?

I am feeling very overwhelmed and really don't want to feel that I wasted tons of time and money because I had no clue...

Lisa

Yes, there are books. Go to a book store (I go to Borders). Look at the books and find one that provides you with the information you are seeking. They do exist. I have been on five cruises and still buy the books.

You seem stressed enough. I would suggest you not book any excursions privately. The advantage of a private excursion, if you do your homework and find a good one, is price. The advantage of a RCI booked excursion, easy (you tell RCI what you want and they take care of the rest) and if something happens, and you get back late, the ship waits for you (the ship will not wait for a private tour).

You sign your kids up for Ocean Adventure on the day you board the ship. You will get a seating assignment for the main restaurant, that is your "reservation" for the week. The only show you need a reservation for is the ice show. They will announce when tickets are available.

Labadee is your first stop. You can make reservations, but you can also join in most of the activities once on the beach (it is a private beach - not a private island). I suggest you don't make reservations and play it by ear. You seem to be under enough stress. You can have fun without making reservations on Labadee.

You do not have to attend formal nights. However, "formal" dress is not necessary. If you just look good (such as Sunday church clothes) you will be fine. Otherwise, the buffet will be open.

I was on this same cruise on the Navigator in Aug 2004. Here is a link to some photos you can look at. Click on any photo to make it bigger ...

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photogallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=90195

The idea is to relax and have fun. Don't try to do too much or not only will you not have fun, your kids will be burned out and you will need a vacation to recover from your cruise.

Great help so far!

My suggestion would be to be SURE to take the kids to Stingray City in Grand Cayman. It is an experience they won't forget! You will be the BEST mom! Here is a list of private vendors that I have gleaned from the GC board. We used the Buccaneer. It is a catamaran and the timing of the excursion was perfect for us.

Sailboats:

Buccaneer: http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/Stingray_City_Buccaneer_Excursion.htm

Captain Bryan’s: http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/StingrayCityCaptBryans.htm

Motorized:

Captain Marvin’s: http://www.captainmarvins.com

Nativeway: http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/shiptours.html

Sotos: http://www.sotoscruises.com

Have a great cruise, no matter what you do. As Cruizer2 said, relax and have fun!

For information on the various ports, the Port Of Call boards here on Cruise Critic are a great source. also, the excursions pffered by Royal Caribbean should be available for your sailing by now, go to THIS SITE, click on the "Go" button under "Purchase any Shore Excursion, Worldwide." and enter your booking information, then browse the excursions they offer. This will give you information on what is available, and what time(s) the excursions depart.

If you do book privately (I book about 75% of my excursions privately), be sure that you understand any cancellation charges that you may acure due to the ship not making the port.

Besides that, the best advice I can give is "Don' wory man. Everyting is cool"

Scour these boards like there's no tomorrow, you'll find all the information you can need and even some information you didn't need to know. lol You can do a search on your particular ship to find some tips but you'll have to read through alot of information. And the ports of call for your destinations is the best bet to plan your excursions and what to do. The planning is half the fun.

Yes, there are books. Go to a book store (I go to Borders). Look at the books and find one that provides you with the information you are seeking. They do exist. I have been on five cruises and still buy the books.

You seem stressed enough. I would suggest you not book any excursions privately. The advantage of a private excursion, if you do your homework and find a good one, is price. The advantage of a RCI booked excursion, easy (you tell RCI what you want and they take care of the rest) and if something happens, and you get back late, the ship waits for you (the ship will not wait for a private tour).

You sign your kids up for Ocean Adventure on the day you board the ship. You will get a seating assignment for the main restaurant, that is your "reservation" for the week. The only show you need a reservation for is the ice show. They will announce when tickets are available.

Labadee is your first stop. You can make reservations, but you can also join in most of the activities once on the beach (it is a private beach - not a private island). I suggest you don't make reservations and play it by ear. You seem to be under enough stress. You can have fun without making reservations on Labadee.

You do not have to attend formal nights. However, "formal" dress is not necessary. If you just look good (such as Sunday church clothes) you will be fine. Otherwise, the buffet will be open.

I was on this same cruise on the Navigator in Aug 2004. Here is a link to some photos you can look at. Click on any photo to make it bigger ...

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photogallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=90195

The idea is to relax and have fun. Don't try to do too much or not only will you not have fun, your kids will be burned out and you will need a vacation to recover from your cruise.

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=00003r7uyfPObwi9-KWfJ3UFI4U:v2mocc7o#8

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and the remainder are casual nights.

5 – night cruises include one formal and the remainder casual nights.

6 – night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder are casual nights .

7 to 9-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights are casual nights.

10 to13-night cruises include two formal nights and two smart casual nights, and the remainder are casual nights.

14+ -night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights and the remainder are casual nights.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=00003r7uyfPObwi9-KWfJ3UFI4U:v2mocc7o#8

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and the remainder are casual nights.

6 – night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder are casual nights .

7 to 9-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights are casual nights.

10 to13-night cruises include two formal nights and two smart casual nights, and the remainder are casual nights.

14+ -night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights and the remainder are casual nights.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

As you can see, these guidelines are for adults, not children. No one expect you to spend a lot of money on a nice suit for a child that will grow out of it before (s)he has a chance to wear it again. Also, it is well known that the guidelines are not strickly enforced. If you and your children are dressed nicely, you will have not be asked to leave the "formal" dinner. I see lots of children (and adults) who are not wearing a jacket, tie or floor length dress that attend the "formal" dinner. However, when everyone looks sharp, it makes for a very nice looking formal night picture.

Nonetheless, you can always go to the buffet on formal nights. It is your choice.

I would agree with all the posts. The age of the kids was not mention. Take them to Stingray City, which could be enjoyed by all ages. Dunns River Falls in Ochos Rios is also neat, but requires climbing. There is a staircase on the side if you need to exit. Be prepared for hawkers selling their wares as you leave.

Most of all enjoy yourself.

As you can see, these guidelines are for adults, not children. No one expect you to spend a lot of money on a nice suit for a child that will grow out of it before (s)he has a chance to wear it again. Also, it is well known that the guidelines are not strickly enforced. If you and your children are dressed nicely, you will have not be asked to leave the "formal" dinner. I see lots of children (and adults) who are not wearing a jacket, tie or floor length dress that attend the "formal" dinner. However, when everyone looks sharp, it makes for a very nice looking formal night picture.

Nonetheless, you can always go to the buffet on formal nights. It is your choice.

Obviously you did not click on the link provided, or did not read the entire RCI dress code request. It does specifically request PARENTS to observe these EASY guidelines WITH their CHILDREN.

Obviously you did not click on the link provided, or did not read the entire RCI dress code request. It does specifically request PARENTS to observe these EASY guidelines WITH their CHILDREN.

You are correct, it does. I missed that last line.

It still does not change my opinion. Though I do follow the dress code (though I don't like it) I would rather make someone feel comfortable and welcome than uncomfortable and unwelcome. They want to enjoy the cruise too.

Someone else's choice in clothing is not going to change the level of service I receive, nor is it going to change the taste of the food. So, I am not going to allow it to bother me.

It is well known that some cruise lines don't enforce the dress code and some do. Sounds to me like you would be happier on one of the cruise lines that do. Personally, it is that very reason that I have not cruised with HAL or Celebrity yet. I don't like getting dressed up. I can see you do. Okay, so cruise on a ship which does enforce their dress code. But don't go on a ship that you know will not, then complain when they don't.

You pay good money to enjoy your vacation. Why spend it in an atmosphere where you are going to be unhappy? You know that RCI and Carnival do not enforce their dress codes. If this bothers you, why do you cruise with them? Give your money to one of the cruise lines that provides you with the atmosphere you perfer, and enjoy yourself.

Corporate RCI wants the guideline followed. They would not print it on their website, on their tickets, in the Daily Compass, etc., if they did not want it enforced.

The waitstaff on each individual ship is where the "non-enforcement" problem is prevalent. They are afraid if they turn away diners, they won't get a gratuity.

Corporate RCI wants the guideline followed. They would not print it on their website, on their tickets, in the Daily Compass, etc., if they did not want it enforced.

The waitstaff on each individual ship is where the "non-enforcement" problem is prevalent. They are afraid if they turn away diners, they won't get a gratuity.

That is a simple problem to solve. All they have to do is offer to fire anyone that does not enforce the code. Likely RCI's offical position is that the code should be followed. However, it seems just as likely that there is an unofficial position that allows employees to look the other way.

At any rate, it is well known that RCI does not enforce the dress code. Okay, that is RCI's problem. If someone like you feels strongly about it, then RCI will lose a potential customer. But it makes no difference to me.

I'll say it again. Knowing that RCI will not enforce the dress code, do not go on an RCI ship and then complain when in fact RCI does not enforce the dress code. If it bothers you, go on one of the other lines that provides an atmosphere more to your tastes.

I have looked through recent cruise documents - Tickets, Compass, etc. and NO WHERE can I find anything, in writing that states - "Come as you are for dinner in the dining room", "Shorts permitted in dining room for dinner" or "Jeans allowed in the dining room for dinner".

No, everything I read says:

The problem I have with "enforcement" of a dress code is the word "suggested". This one word makes the whole dress code ambiguous. With that said, when we cruise we decide beforehand if we will eat in the dining room and then pack accordingly. We do adhere to the dress code, but are not offended by anyone that doesn't.

Remember that words mean everything and RCCL placing in the word "suggested" makes it a guideline NOT a dress code. It is near impossible to enforce "suggested".

Let the flaming begin. lol

It is a cruise, it is your cruise, make sure you enjoy it and don't let others ruin it for you.

Lisa

Now on to your other questions. :)

You do not have to attend formal nights. There are so many other dining options. Portofinos and Chops if you don't mind the cover charge are fantastic and as far as I am concerned, made for formal nights since the dress code is not formal. Nice clothes (chinos/dockers and a polo are fine for a guy and similar for a lady) are fine.

The idea of private vs ship borne excursions are a matter of taste. If you are still feeling ovewhelmed, I would suggest sticking with the ship borne excursions as there will be no issue with the ship possibly leaving without you even though I have never seen this happen.

The AO, you sign up first day and the kids are given wrist straps with their Muster station on them so staff can get them to you in an emergency.

Relax and have fun. That is the #1 rule. :)

I have looked through recent cruise documents - Tickets, Compass, etc. and NO WHERE can I find anything, in writing that states - "Come as you are for dinner in the dining room", "Shorts permitted in dining room for dinner" or "Jeans allowed in the dining room for dinner".

No, everything I read says:

You are an expert at quoting the RCI web site. Of your last 25 posts, at least 15 (60%) have quoted the RCI web site. You quote the RCI guidelines so much I am begining to wonder if you have a vested interest in them. Did you write or help write these guidelines? Why do you feel the need to quote them so often?

Please note:

1) You have already admitted that the dining room GUIDELINES are not enforced. So you are quoting information which you yourself know to be immaterial. The OP is looking for practicable information, not theoraical information.

2) These are GUIDELINES - not laws. Clearly RCI treats them this way, as they do not enforce these guidelines. If RCI wanted to enforce these guidelines they would. RCI treats these guidelines as stated - they are a suggestion. Not something that MUST be followed.

Don't you have any information to share beyond quoting the RCI web site? Instead of quoting guidelines which you yourself admit are not being enforced, how about providing some useful information from your own personal experiences? That is what the OP is looking for. Her original post makes it clear that she understands the formal night guidelines. She states she is stressed and is looking for help. She is not looking for someone to dump more problems on her. Instead of quoting guidelines that are not followed by RCI's own staff, why not offer the OP some helpful advise from your own experiences?

I disagree. I have looked a little closer at the web site which you are so fond of quoting. I find that there are rules, which are enforced, and guidelines, which are not enforced.

On RCI's web site it states, "Bare feet or bathing suits are not allowed at any time in the dining room and shorts are not permitted at dinner." Now this is a rule that RCI does enforce. The suggested guidelines are not enforced because RCI views them as suggested guidelines, not as rules. If the suggested guidelines were meant to be enforced by RCI, then they would be stated as rules which must be followed, not as optional guidelines.

lisabees

The posters who took their time to answer your questions have the best advice. But the MOST IMPORTANT advice is ENJOY! Please I say this from the great experience of two prior cruises. It will all fall together. That is the greatest thing about cruises they do all the worrying for you. If you plan a cruise with transfers etc... then let them worry. You pack, read all about cruising and your ports and get ready to enjoy one of the most relaxing ways to have a vacation. Think of this: No dishes, no dishes, no dishes...:D Another good one is No cooking and cleaning, no cooking and cleaning... Have fun and enjoy your first cruise and takes LOTS of pictures! ENJOY! :)

Lisa

Lisa: To try to answer some of your questions without getting into a debate with other posters, here goes.

There are many books that can be found at either the local library or a major bookstore that may answer most of your questions. Your best bet is to ask here on the boards and most of your questions will be answered.

You don't mention the ages of your kids so suggestions are difficult. You can sign your kids into the Adventure Ocean program after you get onboard. They usually have an invitation to explore the program, meet the AO staff and sign up your kids. Definitely read the daily Cruise Compass that will be placed in your room each day to keep up on where, when, what time, etc.

The Voyager is an exploration all of it's own. Don't feel pressured to do excursions if you don't want to spend the extra money. At Grand Cayman you can snorkel for free at Eden Rock. This is just down the road,(five minute walk) take a right on the main road after you get off the tender, blue building with an apple on it ( you can usually see it from your cruise ship). Snorkel equipment can be rented for about $5.00 and you can use it as long as you need to. Food and Beverages at Grand Cayman may cost you more than you expect. Check the ports of call board for further options for any of your ports. At Cozumel it might be fun to try Paradise Beach or Chankanaab Park if it is open again. Fairly inexpensive yet fun for the whole family. Labadee; great family location. A trolley type shuttle runs over back and forth throughout the cove area for easy and fun transport. Hop on and off all day free of charge. Small native market place where the kids can learn to dicker back and forth with the locals for an inexpensive souvenir. You can shuttle by tender back and forth to the ship for meal times at Labadee and Grand Cayman if you wish. Ocho Rios- no suggestions.

The only shows that you need to consider is the ice show. Free tickets are distributed for these shows. Read the Cruise Compass for details. Other shows just show up 20 minutes before for decent seating. We always use this time to chat with each other about our day. Restaurants- only the specialty restaurants of Chops or Portofino's would you need reservations. The cost is $25 per person and includes gratuities. The main dining area will have a table already assigned to your family for the supper hour and you will be informed when you check in for the cruise what table they have you at. This restaurant is available as well for breakfast and lunch with open seating. The windjammer buffet and grill is open seating at will. Extra charges may apply for Johnny Rockets, and any specialty coffee or ice cream counters. There is also a snack shop in the promenade that gives free sandwiches, desserts, milk etc. all throughout the day. Room service 24/7 , menu is in your cabin inside a special desk book. Just a dollar or two tip will be sufficient. No reservations necessary for activities unless the Cruise Compass newspaper states otherwise. Sometimes the rock wall will have a sign up sheet for space availability.

Formal night is not mandatory and all of the other food options mentioned are available. Suggested attire for formal night can usually be found in your closets at home. Whatever you would wear to a wedding, church or for a special occasion is usually sufficient. Don't buy what you probably already have. Attire during the day is usually shorts and tee's or swimwear and evening you may want longer pants or a sweater. Most people wear what they have at home. If you would take your kids to the shopping mall in their clothes than they already have what they need.

Warnings: arcade costs money. The kids may think that just because their room key fits in the slot that it was free. Charges will be billed to your account. Generally about $1.00 per game. A good rule of thumb is everything is free unless they ask for your card, then there is a charge for it. Cokes, etc cost extra. About $1.75 per can. Lemonade, iced tea, milk, etc. available in the restaurants or room service for free. Telephone can be used room to room for free. Calling friends at home will cost you $10 per minute.

Relax and you will have a great time. Make lists of questions and continue asking here. Also have the rest of the family ask questions as well in order to cover all topics.

Warnings: arcade costs money. The kids may think that just because their room key fits in the slot that it was free. Charges will be billed to your account. Generally about $1.00 per game. A good rule of thumb is everything is free unless they ask for your card, then there is a charge for it. Cokes, etc cost extra. About $1.75 per can. Lemonade, iced tea, milk, etc. available in the restaurants or room service for free. Telephone can be used room to room for free. Calling friends at home will cost you $10 per minute.

Relax and you will have a great time. Make lists of questions and continue asking here. Also have the rest of the family ask questions as well in order to cover all topics.

All good advise. Regarding the arcade, what DFritz said is true. However, you can request that your children not be able to charge anything to their room key. Then you will not have to worry about a $200 arcade bill.

The relax and you will have a great time advise from the above two posters is likely the best advise you will receive.

Great advise DFritz,

Lisabees....Breath In..........Breath out........

I know it seems overwhelming now but you will find with a little planning

it will come together.

My biggest problem is always packing. It might help if you do what I do. Drag the suitcases out and put one in each room (open)

Make a list of what you will be taking

As you add items to the suitcases cross these items off your list.

Try to scale down big bulky items in your carry on, such as hair spray,

shampoo, etc. (pour these into smaller bottles) as they will weigh less.

When we went on vacation with my grand daughters I bought them these

cheap rolling backpacks. They put all their stuff in them, thought they were the greatest thing. They were responsible for rolling them through the airport, and did a great job.

Most of all ..........HAVE A GREAT VACATION.

There's so much information on these boards, keep asking questions.

I disagree. I have looked a little closer at the web site which you are so fond of quoting. I find that there are rules, which are enforced, and guidelines, which are not enforced.

On RCI's web site it states, "Bare feet or bathing suits are not allowed at any time in the dining room and shorts are not permitted at dinner." Now this is a rule that RCI does enforce. The suggested guidelines are not enforced because RCI views them as suggested guidelines, not as rules. If the suggested guidelines were meant to be enforced by RCI, then they would be stated as rules which must be followed, not as optional guidelines.

Congratulations - I see we agree. There is still nothing in writing saying that Bare Feet orBathing Suits are permitted. And, I have found nothing that says Jeans or T-Shirts are allowed, either.

Please re-Read post #15 and pay particular attention to the section I have looked through recent cruise documents - Tickets, Compass, etc. and NO WHERE can I find anything, in writing that states - "Come as you are for dinner in the dining room", "Shorts permitted in dining room for dinner" or "Jeans allowed in the dining room for dinner".

Oh, and now we are at 17 of 28.

Archived