Back from the Jewel and very mixed

jaxw17

People must have been on a different Jewel from us!!

We did 40 days from Honolulu to Sydney last October November and then from Yokohama-Shanghai-Yokohama last month. Am now waiting to rejoin it to go from Yokohama to Seattle.

Brilliant officers and staff, couldn't do enough for us to make the trips enjoyable.

People must have been on a different Jewel from us!!

We did 40 days from Honolulu to Sydney last October November and then from Yokohama-Shanghai-Yokohama last month. Am now waiting to rejoin it to go from Yokohama to Seattle.

Brilliant officers and staff, couldn't do enough for us to make the trips enjoyable.

Pretty sure I was on the same Jewel as you. I did Papeete to Sydney in November, Auckland to Sydney in February, Hong Kong to Tokyo in March and just got off the Shanghai to Tokyo cruise. I had a wonderful time on all 4 cruises, found the staff very friendly and helpful often going above and beyond to ensure we all had a great cruise. I enjoyed all the different varied ports, the nightly entertainment and met passengers that all seemed to be having a great time. I love the size and the many different public areas on this ship and hope to join the Jewel again on different itineraries when she returns next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We boarded the jewel in Sydney for an 18 night cruise to Singapore.

Boarding was a breeze and we headed for O'Sheeans. We were sailing with another couple and had 3 nights in Sydney prior to the cruise.

We could only get an inside cabin when we booked and I have to say I don't like them. i know others have different views but it is up to individuals how they think of them. When the beds were together there was no room at all. The inside bathrooms on the Jewel are a bit larger an a shower screen not the wrap around curtain that attacks you ever time you shower.

The cabin steward was a delight always pleasant and did his job well.

we had a lot of queuing for the main restaurants only once did we go in and get a table straight off. we gave up on the Tsar after having really bad service. Asked 5 times for butter, no water, 3 starters came and were eaten and gone before any sight of mine and the main meal was poor. Not able to order wine a shambles. This was not repeated in the other dining room.

There were pockets of really good service and some of the worst that I have ever encountered on a cruise this was our 3rd time with NCL but our 17 cruise so we had something to compare it with.

Some of the staff were downright rude especially in two of the pool bars. I asked to see the beverage manager and it was supposedly noted at customer service I waited 10 days then asked again. The bars were woefully understaffed at peak times and I felt sorry for the guys there I told the beverage manager this and that I thought this was what was causing the rude customer service.

By far the biggest bone of contention with not just us but most passengers was the tendering process. This was awful. After docking at 7am in some places tender no 1 was only just going at 11am and when they change it and say the last tender back is 2.20 well you can see why people were getting frustrated.

In Cairns we waited and waited for the tender and then after a long tender in blistering heat we had to line up for an hour and 45 minutes to get on the shuttle bus. there was no way of doing private tours and they made sure we set sail at the time the trips can back so that it was impossible. 2 days there and not able to do anything unless you went on their tour at $300 dollars a throw per person.

The tendering went on just a s bad the whole way through.

The food was okay to good no problems there.

SUNBEDS ON SEA DAYS oh my oh my. Later in the cruise they started to enforce the one hour rule but not until everyone had kicked off. It was chaos on sea days.

we saw some great things and missed out on some because of the dis organisation.

Overall a fantastic trip that could have been made better.

OP...You mention the poor service in the pool bar areas...Im wondering if NCL only staff's (1) bartender per busy location to keep the amount of booze served to a minimum (cause everyone has the ultimate booze pkg) ie. if there were (2) bartenders then MORE people will be served MORE booze...costing NCL MORE money....just a thought...

when i was in college the college bars would advertise $1.00 mixed drinks from 9pm till 11pm...the bar was about 30 feet long and guess how many bartenders were working from 9-11pm during the "special"? you guessed it....(1) bartender (who was as slow as molasses)

OP...You mention the poor service in the pool bar areas...Im wondering if NCL only staff's (1) bartender per busy location to keep the amount of booze served to a minimum (cause everyone has the ultimate booze pkg) ie. if there were (2) bartenders then MORE people will be served MORE booze...costing NCL MORE money....just a thought...

when i was in college the college bars would advertise $1.00 mixed drinks from 9pm till 11pm...the bar was about 30 feet long and guess how many bartenders were working from 9-11pm during the "special"? you guessed it....(1) bartender (who was as slow as molasses)

Most bars have 2-3 bar waiters. Always 3 at busy times. Usually straight after the muster the bars around the pool, the Great Outdoors etc have a lot of people wanting drinks. They also have drink waiters assigned, but hard to keep up with demand. Tip- get a drink from one of the inside bars before going to the pool area straight after muster. After that the passengers seem to disperse to different areas and it then becomes easy, with little to no wait times. I probably spent most time at the bars in Fyzz, Spinnaker and O Sheehan’s or the Great Outdoors during the day and never had a problem. Spinnaker and Fyzz the waiters/waitresses come around and serve you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums