Labadee - thinking about staying on the ship.

KmomChicago

We are also considering skipping Labadee next week.

What restaurants/activities are still available on Oasis that day?

Bill

I spent that morning on a padded lounger (mostly napping in the sun) in the Solarium which was much less crowded than normal. I had a gorgeous view of Labadee from my spot. We ended up booking a kayaking excursion which started around noon so I did end up onshore after all and it really was very nice - far exceeded my very low expectations.

According to my Cruise Compass from that day: Flowriders 9-11am and 3-7pm, Sports Deck 8am-11pm, Fitness Center 8am-10pm. I believe at least one of the 4 pools was open all day but apparently it was not the H20 Zone kids area pool. There was morning and afternoon Trivia. They don't advertise the Solarium being open, but it's just a huge pleasant sun deck so it was, as were some of the hot tubs.

Restaurants: Park Café and the Windjammer Buffet were open most of the day. Sorrento's Pizza and the soft serve station opened at 11:30, Boardwalk Dog House at 1:30. Coastal Kitchen was open for lunch for suites guests.

There is definitely not a lot scheduled that day so you may be relaxing or entertaining yourself, but I enjoy quiet in areas that are normally bustling. On sea days it can be difficult to find a good spot in the Solarium so it was great to just waltz in there like I owned the place and choose the choicest lounger of the bunch.

Also for us that was Day 6 and at 51 years of age, I was getting a bit worn out from running around all over St. Maarten and San Juan the two days prior, plus hitting so many activities on board. We tend to go go go on vacation, even cruises, and occasionally mama wants to no no no for a few peaceful hours.

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like you had a relaxing day.

Yes it was a very nice day and I would gladly return to Labadee. I believe RCCL being there is one of the very best things that has happened for Haiti in the last 30 years. It’s good for visitors to try a place that they might otherwise avoid and good for the infrastructure investments and opportunity for local people.

Some critics talk about tourism jobs being menial and low paid. I worked in tourism in Florida for almost 10 years and it’s not the corner office but hardly the worst job a person could have. In Haiti one of those jobs can support a large family far better than other options which are few.

Sorry to get political but our kayak guide made it very clear that life changed dramatically for the better for everyone in the area and compared with the rest of the country. People dream of moving out of the rough cities to work for the cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums