Your recommendation wanted: Princess or Holland????

Kitty Witty

We did Alaska on Princess, and they DO do Alaska very well !!!

We were on the Coral Princess, and while it is an older ship, and a more laid-back vibe... We did enjoy our cruise!

I don't think that an Alaska cruise is going have the vibe of, for example, a Caribbean cruise.

And, neither Princess or HAL have extensive kids areas, water slides, etc...

Not sure the difference there, in Alaska, would be that great???

I will say that I hope that the Head Chef on the Coral Princess has changed... The food and service in the MDR (princess dictated) were EXCELLENT... But we thought the Buffet was, well, awful.

When we were onboard, it was not 'stodgy'... The bands were good. (but did stick to a playlist geared to those in their 60's and above.

Our current dilemma... Either HAL's new-build, the Nieuw Statendam, or Princess, on an older ship.

The Nieuw Statendam has an itinerary that we like. Nearly brand new ship...

And, we don't feel like we want to be on the older Princess ships that are doing this part of the Med.

We have never sailed HAL, but tend to think we agree with those here who say Princess is better.

But, we might have to try something new, and give up some onboard offerings and 'vibe' and go with HAL.

Edited by Wishing on a star

I’m just wondering if they change up their on-ship programing when they know they will have a shift in age ranges?

No, not in the way you're thinking.

Not sure the difference there, in Alaska, would be that great???

Our current dilemma... Either HAL's new-build, the Nieuw Statendam, or Princess, on an older ship.

The Nieuw Statendam has an itinerary that we like. Nearly brand new ship...

And, we don't feel like we want to be on the older Princess ships that are doing this part of the Med.

We have never sailed HAL, but tend to think we agree with those here who say Princess is better.

But, we might have to try something new, and give up some onboard offerings and 'vibe' and go with HAL.

From what my parents tell me, it isn't that great of a difference. Granted, they're in their late 60s and tend to do, well, more senior stuff. I've been very happy with Princess, but I also know I prefer newer ships. If the choice is between HAL and Princess in Alaska on a new ship vs an old one, I'd probably try out HAL. That said, my parents cruise quite a bit and I think it says something that they're Elite on Princess and have only done HAL a couple of times. They've done Celebrity a lot more than HAL and they don't particularly enjoy Celebrity that much either.

I don’t mean to highjack this post, but my question seems similar:

We are a 16 person extended family already booked on HAL for Alaska in July. I know opinions vary but it seems like more people prefer Princess. Our family members are mostly 40 something’s with teens and elementary kids. How can we jazz up our HAL cruise on our own if it is indeed “stodgy, older crowd” kinda of pace?

Our cruise sales person sold us on HAL based on Glacier Bay and that many more families with kids are on the HAL Alaskan cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It must be noted that shore activities start at 7:00 AM in Alaska which means you must be up and about much earlier for breakfast. This translates into lots of passengers in bed my 10:00 PM. Here is a link to my Alaska activities last year which are typical of HAL's Alaska cruises:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/on-locations-specific-cruises/alaska-2017-noordam-when-where-daily-activities/

The passenger age mix on HAL is the same as other cruise lines. HAL's "older" reputation demonstrates loyalty for longer cruises when kids are still in school.

I have been to Alaska 14 times with HAL and have yet to find a kid who didn't say they had a great time: unlimited video games, indoor pool, planned activities, and new friends from all over the world. The only time you will see kids will be at dinner as their days are filled by the Club HAL activities:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/holland-america-lines-kids-activities-examples/

Enjoy your cruise planning and remember to pack layers of clothing as the temp can warm significantly during the day.