Strange Question

ckrobyn

We have all heard of rare visits from the Upgrade Fairy - my question is this:

Has anyone ever been suprised by an upgrade ( not asked before it happened) and was upset with what they were upgraded to? What I mean is, if you chose the cabin or suite you really wanted months and months before your cruise - and then you were arbitrarily upgraded and lost the "location" of your choice - how would you react?

There was a posting on here just a little while ago about that. The people were not happy about it at all because they were never asked. They had chosen a cabin location on booking and found it taken away from them.

I would be furious because I do not sail a ship unless I can get the cabin I carefully select. I also tell them in advance "no upgrades".

I have to add that we were offered an upgrade at one time at a cost of only $10.00.

We already had a mid ship, good location and were offered the same category several decks up, in the bow of the ship. No way.

I'd be pissed because I spent two months checking RCCL's website daily to see if a better cabin became available and one day it finally did and now we have the one we want. I told my TA that I wanted "no upgrades" included in our reservation but she's not the brightest so I have a feeling she didn't. I regularly sign into RCCL online and check to verify that we still have the same cabin as well.

There was a posting on here just a little while ago about that. The people were not happy about it at all because they were never asked. They had chosen a cabin location on booking and found it taken away from them.

I would be furious because I do not sail a ship unless I can get the cabin I carefully select. I also tell them in advance "no upgrades".

Alexis - I agree with you.

I booked a GS hump on the AOS 11 months ago and would be mortified if they moved me! Even if they upgraded me to an Owners Suite, I still don't want it because of the balcony size compared to the GS.....I'm a bit odd, but I check my RCI reservation every day to make sure I HAVEN'T been upgraded! How weird is that? :rolleyes:

In 2001, we were booked into a connecting quad balcony cabin with RC. The week before our cruise, I got a call from our TA asking if we wanted the owner's suite for a $1,000 extra. I said no. When we got to the pier, I found out we had been upgrade to a family suite. We were thrilled. I think we got upgraded because someone wanted the cabin beside theirs.

We usually just book guarantee and up to this point have, with one exception, been upgraded to at least an outside room. The last cruise we booked an outside cabin on the fourth deck, and got upgraded to a balcony on the ninth deck at no extra cost. Now, do you think I'm going to complain about that?

200601291500_13.gif

Alexis - I agree with you.

I booked a GS hump on the AOS 11 months ago and would be mortified if they moved me! Even if they upgraded me to an Owners Suite, I still don't want it because of the balcony size compared to the GS.....I'm a bit odd, but I check my RCI reservation every day to make sure I HAVEN'T been upgraded! How weird is that? :rolleyes:

I do the same thing everyday of the week too. I would not take the owners suite if given to me. I just want my good old middle of the hump cabin for the view and privacy.

I'm very particular about my cabin and would not like to be upgraded without being asked. However, a couple of cruises ago, RCI did upgrade us from an interior to an oceanview on the same deck. However, it was midship and practically across from the cabin we had booked so I wasn't upset.

On Princess, we got upgraded, but my TA had to fight for it after Princess ran a minisuite special for the same price we paid for a standard balcony. While it was a "free" upgrade, it wasn't freely given.

On our next cruise leaving in two days, we upgraded to a balcony from an interior M cabin, but had to pay $110 pp for doing so. For some reason, the prices dropped, and with the C&A discount, it was worth the move. Not free, but reasonable.

While I'd love a chance to try a suite again, every cruise I've been on has been sold out, so there haven't been any upgrades available, even for purchase.

We usually just book guarantee and up to this point have, with one exception, been upgraded to at least an outside room.

If there is a sure way of an upgrade, booking a guarantee is probably it. I try to do this when I can as most times I don't have to be particular about the cabin, as long as I'm on the ship!

Archived