All inclusive day pass with gluten free options

RamblingReader

Anyone with experience cruising Gluten Free? I have a true allergy, not just preference.

I'm not too worried about eating on the ship but in port, I have NO idea how to find an allergy-friendly place. In Cozumel, the consensus for our family is that we just want a fun all-inclusive beach, but how do I find one I know I can eat at?

Has anyone dealt with this? Can you pack a lunch from the ship? (seems like a waste in paying for the resort, but if it keeps me safe maybe it would be safer to find an a la carte place instead)

Ideas? Suggestions?

Most Mexican resorts don't follow any no-gluten trends.

But if you are at an AI, just skip the flour tortillas (100% corn is okay though) and any enchilada sauces. Salsa is okay! Order Fajitas. Order back beans and rice. Order any fruit.

If you wish to only visit a beach for a short time and then head downtown San Miguel, you'll find a couple of vegetarian places that will most likely carry more non-wheat based items, ergo, gluten-free.

Kondesa, and Kintas are well known for vegetarian dishes. Pancho's Backyard does have vegetarian dishes, just watch the sauces (salsa is okay). And I've heard good things about Sal de Mar on Callle 3 Sur

Most Mexican resorts don't follow any no-gluten trends.

But if you are at an AI, just skip the flour tortillas (100% corn is okay though) and any enchilada sauces. Salsa is okay! Order Fajitas. Order back beans and rice. Order any fruit.

If you wish to only visit a beach for a short time and then head downtown San Miguel, you'll find a couple of vegetarian places that will most likely carry more non-wheat based items, ergo, gluten-free.

Kondesa, and Kintas are well known for vegetarian dishes. Pancho's Backyard does have vegetarian dishes, just watch the sauces (salsa is okay). And I've heard good things about Sal de Mar on Callle 3 Sur

You sound like you know what you're talking about! Do you know if their tortilla chips are typically GF? I wondered about just having nachos... I know in the past when I've been in Mexico they tend to make nachos with real cheese (as opposed to the creamy fake stuff Americans use and you can never trust) and I wouldn't think refried beans would have anything wheat based. Fajitas all depend on the marinade...

Most chips I've eaten appear to be and taste like all corn, but whether or not there's wheat flour mixed in with larger commercial brans I don't know. But if any tortillas or chips are made with strictly masa harina, you'll be fine. Just ask.

Most chips I've eaten appear to be and taste like all corn, but whether or not there's wheat flour mixed in with larger commercial brans I don't know. But if any tortillas or chips are made with strictly masa harina, you'll be fine. Just ask.

Good to know! Thanks for your expertise on this :)

Good to know! Thanks for your expertise on this :)

You're welcome. No expert. Meat and 3s eater:D. But have friends who have celiac disease and others who are vegans so over many years have gotten into interesting discussions over diet and what they eat/don't eat.

Not celiac either but this topic has come up before so you may find some suggestions in the search engine for this forum.

Certainly if you google “celiac Cozumel” you will come across other people’s suggestions and experiences of what and where to eat. I have read there is a card, translated into Spanish that you can download and carry, which may help with describing what you can eat.