Celebrity cancels reservations in error

cadcruiser

On December 19, 2005 Celebrity experienced a "system glitch" which cancelled my cruise reservation for next month in error for the second time. The first time this happened was a month ago. It took me two weeks to resolve that problem.

I was notified by shore excursions that my pre-booked excursions were being refunded because of the cancelled status of my reservation. Celebrity would not speak to me and said my travel agent would have to deal with the matter. My travel agent was told that I have to deal with the shore excursion problem and I should be more "firm" when I call in.

We ended up losing our mid-ship cabin we booked and the TA was told that there was no availability on the ship and we can ask for a similar cabin at check-in. This was not true as the website showed plenty of availability. I was told by Celebrity that it was my fault for losing our cabin because I cancelled the trip. After explaining to customer service about their system glitch which I now have in writing, I was still personally blamed for their error.

To make matters worse, I have been receiving a daily promotional e-mail at least 49 times in duplicate a day. Since Dec 24 I have received 294 e-mails. This has filled my e-mail box and prevented me from receiving important e-mails. I have been transferred between different departrments and promised that I would get a call back from suoervisors. The problem still continues and no one ever called back. I was treated very rudely by Diana in customer service today. She tried to get rid of me and said this was not a customer service issue and her Supervisor would not speak to me.

I have cruised many times with Celebrity and the customer service on board is fantastic. Lately, the pre-cruise customer service is a different story.

Has anyone else been more successful with resolving similar issues?

Interesting - I was speaking to my TA this morning, we put some cabins on hold until we decide between Celebrity and Princess. My TA was telling me some horror stories about Celebrity customer or even travel agent service she has experienced lately. She had one client that didn't receive their documents (sent directly by cruise line, the documents never showed up, so my TA had to have the tickets re-issued ($50 charge which my TA picked up and then she also picked up the expense of Fed Ex overnighting the package to them). She then told me about onboard credit that she ordered for one client that never showed up... She was very upset with Celebrity. So, your story doesn't surprise me, just makes me wonder what's up with Celebrity on the customer service side of things.

To make matters worse, I have been receiving a daily promotional e-mail at least 49 times in duplicate a day. Since Dec 24 I have received 294 e-mails. This has filled my e-mail box and prevented me from receiving important e-mails.

In an effort to minimize or eliminate this problem, which I truly sympathize with, I'm sure there is a mechanism available to 'opt-out' of promotional emails. You should pursue this opt out course. The downside to that would be you would not get 'any' promotional emails from Celebrity, however, based on the obvious problem this is causing, that may be perfectly ok with you.

In the 'Communication Preferencess ' section of 'My Celebrity' (On Celebrity's website) you can select what type of communication (or NO communication) you would receive. You can also specify the email address the communication would be sent to. For Celebrity, you could establish a (free) email account with services like yahoo, or gmail, and have the promotional sent to this alternate email address rather than the one that is currently being used. This should unclutter your inbox.

I had my reservation cancelled for Jan 14th on the Golden Princess the day before Thanksgiving. I had a Bigger problem since the whole ship was booked and I already paid for hotels and airline tickets to San Jaun. I was just lucky there were rooms left on the Connie for the same day! I actually saved $250 and got a better room.

Princess told me my TA did not pay the final payment, which I watched my TA enter into the computer a month earlier. And, Princess never even notified me or my TA about the cancellation. I found out because I noticed the paynent was not on my credit card.

I had my reservation cancelled for Jan 14th on the Golden Princess the day before Thanksgiving. I had a Bigger problem since the whole ship was booked and I already paid for hotels and airline tickets to San Jaun. I was just lucky there were rooms left on the Connie for the same day! I actually saved $250 and got a better room.

Princess told me my TA did not pay the final payment, which I watched my TA enter into the computer a month earlier. And, Princess never even notified me or my TA about the cancellation. I found out because I noticed the paynent was not on my credit card.

FYI final payments should always be called in. Never entered into CruisingPower or Sabre or any other GDS. It's just asking for trouble.

FYI final payments should always be called in. Never entered into CruisingPower or Sabre or any other GDS. It's just asking for trouble.
I call in almost all my payments, this way I know they went through and I get a fax that tells me so. As for what happened to you with Princess, I had this and a few other such things happen when dealing with them years ago. It has taken along time for me to feel comfortable booking them since. NMNita

Not trying to start anything here but I always use cruisingpower to pay finals and deposits and have never had any problem because I always check later to make sure it went through and request a fax. I also write down what time and what date I did this then if I have a problem it usually throws cust serv for a loop if you have dates and times. Princess and Royal Caribbean are getting very nasty about finals being taken care of on time and I have always received a fax when final is due from Princess and just a couple weeks ago I received a fax reminding me of a final on Royal Caribbean. So just to end here using the cruise lines site for payments and bookings is not a problem just need to follow up.

Not trying to start anything here but I always use cruisingpower to pay finals and deposits and have never had any problem because I always check later to make sure it went through and request a fax. I also write down what time and what date I did this then if I have a problem it usually throws cust serv for a loop if you have dates and times. Princess and Royal Caribbean are getting very nasty about finals being taken care of on time and I have always received a fax when final is due from Princess and just a couple weeks ago I received a fax reminding me of a final on Royal Caribbean. So just to end here using the cruise lines site for payments and bookings is not a problem just need to follow up.
i know you are probably correct, but I just feel more comfortable calling them in and getting that fax. Years ago I always entered them via the system: I guess I am not a trusting today as I was 5 years ago. NMnita

Archived