Shopping in Nassau

someone

Going on first cruise in April on Soverign. Nassau is the only shopping stop and as this is for 10th anniversay I need to slip away to pick up some jewelry. Is my best bet to be found on Bay Street? I'm saving up now and will probably spend more on that than for my cruise ;)

Thanks for any help.

Someone

Pretty much all the jewelry stores will be on Bay Street. Walk down one side of the street to the Hilton British Colonial Hotel and then came back on the other side.

Be sure to check your Cruise Compass daily newsletter on board for advertised specials at some of their "preferred" stores. Also, once you enter the Nassau cruise terminal instead of turning right to head towards the terminal exit with everyone else, go left and locate the brochure wall. There will be some tourist magazines and newspapers and city maps, all free. Take 10 minutes to thumb through these to see some of the advertised specials at shops including jewelry store advertisements. At the very least you may locate some shop names that you definitely want to visit.

BTW, there are some shopping "huts" at Coco Cay but not for real jewelry and even the nicknacks and t-shirts cost more than in Nassau.

BobK/Orlando

I will keep my eyes open...

but one thing I learned...real quick on my first cruise...

If the Cruise line recommends it....try somewhere else before you buy.

In Cozumel it was rediculous how much more the cruise company

recommended stores were then the locals....

Remember...there is a reaon they recommend....

it is called.....PROFIT.

I would also recommend prepricing items before you go. It helps to know what you would be paying here. We didn't have an issue with this, but know of others who have. We bought a beautiful blue sapphire surrounded with diamonds, had it appraised here, and came out making a good purchase.

Also keep in mind that there is no sales tax in the Bahamas (or other Caribbean islands for that matter) so the price you see on anything (or are quoted) is the price you pay with nothing else added. Most U.S. states have a sales tax which adds $$ to the price. And Canadians have the double dreaded PST and GST they can save on!

BobK/Orlando

Archived