Advice for being in Rome,Florence, and Venice during August

dawnskers

From all I've read, it sounds like we will be visiting during the height of the tourist season. I want a more authentic experience than just going to all the typical things that all the rest of the tourists here want to see... I would rather go to some "off the beaten path" museums, attractions, etc; The thought of standing in lines and being crammed together with everyone else doesn't appeal much to me, especially when it is so hot. BUT, we already have our reservations (this is coinciding with a cruise to Greece in early September), so would appreciate any recommendations as to places that are maybe not the MUST SEE attractions, but still special in their own right. Thanks in advance for tips- I always learn so much from the people who post on these boards. It is so kind of you to share your expertise with those of us who haven't had the opportunity to travel. Your generosity is very much appreciated!

In Venice it’s great to just wander around. Yes you will want to see St Marks Square and the Rialto bridge and it will be crowded there, but if you get away from the main tourist areas on the side of the canals away from the Grand Canal you will find quiet areas. We used the Pop-Up map of Venice which costs under £4 from Amazon. The area we loved the most was the Jewish Ghetto area.

The other thing we really enjoyed was the Secret Itinerary tour of The Doges Palace. We booked it online beforehand. We saw a lot behind the scenes, including the cell where they held Casanova.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most things quiet down in Venice during the evening hours and a bonus the temps recede. Try getting out in the evening and by all means wander around, you can not get to lost on an island. Enjoy your trip.....

For Rome I would recommend the Borghese Gallery, if you like art. The building is a work of art in itself (windows, doors, floors, ceilings, walls), plus there are beautiful paintings and sculptures throughout. We liked it best because of the way they allow entrance. You need to book a specific day and time in advance. When you arrive you have two hours to wander through the building at your leisure. They only allow 250 visitors at a time so it never feels crowded, which is really nice for Rome.

In Venice, wander around the little alleys and back canals. If you are there for more than a day or two, consider staying on the island of Murano. This island welcomes lots of tourists during the day as they all come to see the glass, but in the evening, when everyone goes back to Venice itself, the island is quiet and quaint. We stayed at Murano Palace--a lovely little hotel that included a delightful breakfast. It was less expensive than Venice and much nicer than the hotel we had in Venice itself. We found great places to eat there too, for lunch and dinner. I wouldn't do this instead of Venice itself, but only if you have some extra time. We had two nights before a cruise in Venice itself, but then stayed on Murano after our cruise for one night. Then, took a boat to the airport! How cool was that?!

What I would recommend is to NOT do a mad dash through any of these cities. See fewer places and see them well.

One other thing: when you're walking to and from the major destinations, take the time to walk into some of the churches in these cities -- most of them are cool, not crowded (except for the biggies) and are fabulous repositories of art and architecture through the ages. I think I've read that Italy has more art treasures than any other country, and many of them are not in museums, but in these churches.

A quiet moment or two in an old, beautiful church can be calming in a frenetic city and something you'll remember afterwards.

Also, if you want to see some of the outdoor sites like the Rialto Bridge in Venice, go really early. Make a habit to get out early before the cruise ships start releasing their passengers and then again, in the evening after they've all gone back to their ships. Most will have to be back onboard by 6pm at the latest and the population dies down considerably.

• 2 weeks later...
Are you in these three cities as part of a land trip separate from your cruise? Or will you just be there for a day as a port stop? (Makes a difference what I might propose....:))

I am flying into Rome and will be there 3 nights, then taking a train to Florence where we will stay for 2 nights, then train trip to Venice where we will stay 2 nights prior to boarding our cruise to Greece 9/1/18. Thanks for your response!

In Venice it’s great to just wander around. Yes you will want to see St Marks Square and the Rialto bridge and it will be crowded there, but if you get away from the main tourist areas on the side of the canals away from the Grand Canal you will find quiet areas. We used the Pop-Up map of Venice which costs under £4 from Amazon. The area we loved the most was the Jewish Ghetto area.

The other thing we really enjoyed was the Secret Itinerary tour of The Doges Palace. We booked it online beforehand. We saw a lot behind the scenes, including the cell where they held Casanova.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you!