Need Recommendations for Havana Shore Excursions, please! Any help appreciated!

Jother

I'm sailing on the Norwegian Sun June 18-22 and we will only be in Havana one full day and an overnight - - we are leaving at 6am the next morning. All we will have time for is one day and evening of experiencing Cuba, sadly.

Wanting to make the most of our time to see as much Cuba as possible, would any of you who have recently "done" the NCL Cuba sailings be willing to suggest what excursions you like and which ones you would NOT recommend.

It's my understanding we now HAVE to book any tours of Cuba through NCL - - if I'm misunderstanding, please let me know.

Without any knowledge whatsoever of Cuba, these look to be the best of the offerings on the NCL website - but I'd rather hear what's best from those of you who have been there! Thanks SO MUCH!

Evening: An evening stroll in Colonial Havana

Daytime: all are offered at 9:30a and 2:30p)

THE OLD COLONIAL HAVANA

ULTIMATE HIGHLIGHTS OF HAVANA - OLD & NEW

THE LIFE OF HEMINGWAY IN HAVANA

We did a tour with Blexie in November, and are repeating it May 1 on the Sky. He and his guides are wonderful! He is on facebook (Blexie-Havana Tours). The price was 130 CUC for up to 3 people (not per person - total price) and we did a walking tour in the am and classic car tour in the pm (all included in the one price), with a stop for lunch at a local restaurant (lunch price additional). And his company is permitted - it's not government owned. On your affidavit, you will check "support for the Cuban people" rather than "people to people" (I think that's the terminology). Have fun - Havana is a gorgeous city, with very friendly people.

I'm sailing on the Norwegian Sun June 18-22 and we will only be in Havana one full day and an overnight - - we are leaving at 6am the next morning. All we will have time for is one day and evening of experiencing Cuba, sadly.

Wanting to make the most of our time to see as much Cuba as possible, would any of you who have recently "done" the NCL Cuba sailings be willing to suggest what excursions you like and which ones you would NOT recommend.

It's my understanding we now HAVE to book any tours of Cuba through NCL - - if I'm misunderstanding, please let me know.

Without any knowledge whatsoever of Cuba, these look to be the best of the offerings on the NCL website - but I'd rather hear what's best from those of you who have been there! Thanks SO MUCH!

THE OLD COLONIAL HAVANA

No, you do not need to book a tour through NCL. Hop on Hop Off bus is available for 10 CUCs per person. Just walk left of the cruise terminal exit, 45 feet.

No, you do not need to book a tour through NCL. Hop on Hop Off bus is available for 10 CUCs per person. Just walk left of the cruise terminal exit, 45 feet.

I did not know the had a Hop on Hop off bus tour? This is great news!!! We have a tour booked with Havana Memories but I am thinking on Day 2 we would just sight see on our own. Thanks!

THE OLD COLONIAL HAVANA

No, you do not need to book your excursion through the ship. You can get off the ship and book your own tour ....either in advance or after you get there. Plenty of options. Hope that helps, Dawn

We did the ship tours but heard a lot of people did private so we got the name a couple use for under $100 for all day. One thing I found frustrating about our tours was that the guides took you to small cigar shops. With our first guide she got behind the counter at 2 of the shops. Then during our cigar factory tour she tried to get people to not go into the government shop attached which you know are real official cigars. During our last tour, I was last to leave the shop and our guide was waiting. Initially I thought I was holding up the group and he was just waiting for me but then he stayed in a bit longer. I later heard they get paid cigars for bringing customers in. We did the rum/cigar/art tour 1st. Rum factory was closed but still a good experience tasting and buying legendario rum. Also had an attached coffee shop when a great show for fire water pouring a flaming coffee from overhead. At the cigar factory they don’t allow photography upstairs but was cool to watch the process. We were then brought on art tours that were interesting. At night we did the walk in colonial park. We stared at sloppy joes huge Cuban sandwich and food drinks Cuba libe and beer include then to the square for a great mojito then came then rain but made for sun experience. Day 2 we went to Hemingway’s, Floridita was a daiquiri and again the alley mojito.

When we go back we will do a private tour to hit the highlights and move at our pace, sometimes we felt rushed and others it felt like we were just sitting. I would go get a mojito off San Francisco square alley, go to Floridita (my wife thought it was the best daiquiri she’s had), Sloppy Joe’s cuba libre was very good. If you want to see Hemingway’s, it seemed the private guides got in easier then the buses. The people we spoke with were very happy with their guides also showing them the cigar shops.

We just got back from the Cuba cruise. I booked a private tour (2 people) with fertours (google it). A full morning of walking to the various plazas, lunch (not included) a bit more walking after lunch, then a classic car ride for about an hour...$60 each total. Our guide was excellent and her English was fine. We booked it ahead of time and payment wasn't required till the end of the tour. The driver dropped us off back at the ship.

For lunch she took us to a rooftop hotel (Hotel Ambos Mundos)...great views but the food was quite overpriced and poor quality. Better to just go up there for drinks and the view. We did dinner on our own at Havana 61, which we booked ahead of time. The meal and service were outstanding. Dinner for the two of us, one drink each and a shared dessert came to 30 CUCs.