How is the internet cafe on the Volendam?

seashell

anyone been on the Volendam and used the internet? Just curious if they assign a user name to everyone ahead of time like Celebrity does. Or do I need to us my regular internet account to write back home? just like to know ahead.

thanks.

michelle

On HAL you are assigned a user name that you can use -- or, if you wish, once on line you can access the net and the net based e-mail of your choice. I usually use my aol account while on board. Used the internet on the Volendam in October and all went very well. Has the Volendam had her drydock yet? If so she now has the Explorations Cafe which is such a great space for the internet and many other things.

I used the Internet Cafe on Volendam in October and it was very, very, painfully slow. I never even used up the rest of my minutes as it wasn't enjoyable to me.

Yes.....Volendam has completed her drydock and is sailing again. I have heard the ship looks fabulous after her SOE upgrades. Can't wait to return to her in January.

I assume that now the Volendam has completed her SOE program and has the new Explorer's Cafe, the new computers and hook-up may be faster???

I'm not sure I would make that assumption...:rolleyes: ... but hope you are right.

Even though you will have an Email address onboard, I would suggest using your regular Email address. A lot of the spam filters toss out Email from an unknown address and some of the mail you send might never be seen by your intended recipient if you use the HAL Email address.

I used the Internet Cafe on Volendam in October and it was very, very, painfully slow. I never even used up the rest of my minutes as it wasn't enjoyable to me.

Yes.....Volendam has completed her drydock and is sailing again. I have heard the ship looks fabulous after her SOE upgrades. Can't wait to return to her in January.

We were on the post-drydock Christmas Cruise and I was pleasantly surprised with the Internet connectivity. While pricier than some lines ($55/100 minutes, $100/250 minutes + $3.95 one-time set-up), the wi-fi worked very well near the hotspots, and even in our cabin (S7006; though the signal was much weaker, so they aren't putting hotspots in cabins yet). It was an 802.11G signal (54MBS potential) and, subjectively, it felt like DSL versus my faster cable modem at home. Also seemed to have decent capaity since the Internet Cafe was usually crowded. Mostly, I used my laptop and its wireless connection. Also, the signal was consistent, even at sea. This was, hands down, the best Internet service I've had on a ship. I don't know whether they specifically did something to the Internet during the drydock, but it would seem so. Also, and probably somewhat related since it also involves tracking satellites, the TV reception was excellent almost all the time...and on the new, wide-screen LCD TVs yet!

what a quick reply from all of you. I won't have to worry about keeping up with those at home i want to. With the sea days i should have plenty of chances to write a couple emails. I am getting more excited to go. Just wish it was january 1 not february 1. I'm sure the month will fly by.

thanks again,

michelle

P.S. i'm sure i'm not the only one who wanted to know.

We were on the post-drydock Christmas Cruise and I was pleasantly surprised with the Internet connectivity. While pricier than some lines ($55/100 minutes, $100/250 minutes + $3.95 one-time set-up), the wi-fi worked very well near the hotspots, and even in our cabin (S7006; though the signal was much weaker, so they aren't putting hotspots in cabins yet). It was an 802.11G signal (54MBS potential) and, subjectively, it felt like DSL versus my faster cable modem at home. Also seemed to have decent capaity since the Internet Cafe was usually crowded. Mostly, I used my laptop and its wireless connection. Also, the signal was consistent, even at sea. This was, hands down, the best Internet service I've had on a ship. I don't know whether they specifically did something to the Internet during the drydock, but it would seem so. Also, and probably somewhat related since it also involves tracking satellites, the TV reception was excellent almost all the time...and on the new, wide-screen LCD TVs yet!

Sounds good to me. Can't wait to get to VODM to find our for ourselves. :)

Archived