Prescription meds and Customs

Topper123

Last week there was a report in the news about a woman who, while flying to the U.S. from France, accepted an apple from the airline and was subsequently fined $500 when the Apple was discovered in her purse by U.S. Customs.

The story got me thinking about prescription medications: Will it be necessary to declare them when when I pass through customs in the U.K. or the U.S? Do they need to be in thier original packaging or can they be divided up in a daily pill container? Is it necessary to pack the prescription scrip from my physician? What about insulin needles?

I did a bit of noodling around on the internet, including official web sites for both the U.S. and the U.K., and I’m more confused now than before I started. Then I thought “Maybe I’m making this too complicated. I’ve never traveled outside the U.S., but Cunard has been moving people back and forth across the Atlantic for 175 years and I suspect that there may be a few folks on Cruise Critic who have been pax with them for most of that time!” Surely someone out there will be willing to share their experience in the matter. I’m not complaining, but my upcoming ‘crossing’ is expensive enough without tacking on another $500 or £500 tuition to learn the hard way! Any insight will be most welcome and I thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

If you arrive in the UK with prescription drugs it is prudent to have them in the manufacturers packaging to confirm they are the genuine article and in your hand luggage. It is also sensible for you to have documentation from your doctor proving that you have been prescribed that particular medication. Needles must be packed safely so as not to cause a stick injury. You may also have other things to indicate you have a particular medical condition.

Cunard have UK immigration officers on board on Eastbound Transatlantics and your passport will be looked at on a set day on board. They allocate interviews deck by deck to complete the process before the ship gets to Southampton. These interviews, incidentally also include UK passport holders. You can ask about your concerns to these guys for advice if you wish. At Southampton your luggage will have been scanned in a number of ways and sniffed over by dogs. Anything of interest identified will highlight you for more detailed inspection and a search of your luggage. They are only interested in anything which is illegal.

This ensures that progression through the terminal at Southampton is rapid and safe.

Finally the UK has the National Health Service which costs UK residents nothing at the point of healthcare, we pay through national taxes. Participation in our local doctors and NHS walk in centres, hospitals and pharmacies is very cheap to foreign nationals, particularly where an emergency immediate need is encountered.

Food is not a good thing to transfer from one country to another particularly fruit. All food will as a basic minimum, tend to hold you up at customs and immigration. Fruit is at the top of prohibited items list in most countries which have strict importation rules.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I agree with John Watson, we both take daily medications and travel overseas a lot both on cruises and on land based holidays. We make a point of taking paper copies of our prescriptions with us and sometimes take original packaging but only if the trip is longer than two weeks (that's the maximum our daily pill containers will cover!). Jenny tests her blood every day so she has to take lancets as well but they are packed in our hold luggage but all the medication goes in our carry on bags. As of today we have never been asked to declare medicines, though we did mention it when we went to Australia and were told not to worry as they were prescribed medicines for personal use, same in Singapore.

Do enjoy your cruise, it will be terrific and lets hope you get some good weather when you get to Southampton

Peter and Jenny

Thank you all. Your explations have been a great help and I appreciate that you took the time to respond. One more question on the topic of customs if I may. We will transfer from QM2 to QE in Southampton for a cruise around Britain and Ireland. Do you know if it’s necessary to clear customs at each port of call? Just curious.

When getting off and on the ship you generally do so through a cruise terminal. Most ports will just accept your cruise card for transit through the facility and let you pass. It is more of a security issue to prove you are permitted to go on board the ship. Some terminals do security scanning shoreside but it is much more usual to be scanned on the ship by the crew. It is to do with security not customs and immigration. Some ports want a passport in your possession, as photo identification, this is more likely where your ship docks at a foreign (non-British) port. This happens on British Isles cruises where you might dock at a French port for example and I believe it is to do with control of illegal immigrants. Requirement to carry a passport ashore or not is always advised in the daily newsletter.

Regards John

I usually take my perscriptionbottles with me. I have never brought paper copies of the perscription because I belong to a large medical group & everything is done electronically.

All our prescriptions are done online as well but we just ask at the surgery and they are happy to print us out a copy.

Peter and Jenny