What to do when cabin mate has to cancel

unicorn46

Mediterranean Cruise, Sept 2018. I worked with a travel agent. I wanted a balcony cabin. She told me there were no cabins at any level/price point that MSC would sell to a solo traveler. It is because of their rule that only a certain number / percentage of cabins can be sold to a solo traveler. I even read on one of these posts that they would rather not sell the cabin than to sell to a solo traveler. I don't understand the logic behind that, but it is what it is !!

Single passenger, 9/30/18 ...

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CabinSelectionView?langId=-1004&cruiseId=DI20180930CVVCVV&catalogId=10001&storeId=12264&krypto=aEI%2Fx0yrW29HSFy0vFw%2FXWFqsVnAs25lqXdgT%2BajWoZDouSoZbx3EXGtzar7OQBLc%2FPH3YWglSnN%0AYsQ0aHd%2Bjmt6ZX7JXTI98m%2F3%2F0ad1kZIpKr%2BDL5XnVx5YcWATlhjTxD%2B127MZVg7GNEI5DoNFRYF%0A3ot%2Bl8RkUI27%2FmmGR2FepPT%2FoVhJj4QdxDs8Iv6rHYUEXu3imkBF9oDvCgon%2F%2BCQZHKgoD2%2FPt%2FF%0AjYfdTLE2FMpkc8QisJAyaFfIBw9IVARL09ZLrVEWS%2Bh0KxxtRmHco7GxDg2bW11YGa0f%2F%2BlekgZs%0AMK2hzaXh2eeZNsa%2FTQDgYRsmYd%2FgTke2%2BGJfDsKc156Tqlo%2BqNoqhOwDphCokgKcQp2c0IyCeciS%0AmMwkdp%2Fs0Rwg82oC0nye62DyHsRfJFBiRNHXwcPtotux6mLlrIETbdqSnTbnoozTVIQj1HtUJHoV%0Ahn3SyN0zMpGy1eoLmvhNVCwq4OTgU%2FsOTtQ%3D&ddkey=https:CopySetCurrentOrderCmd

Mediterranean Cruise, Sept 2018. I worked with a travel agent. I wanted a balcony cabin. She told me there were no cabins at any level/price point that MSC would sell to a solo traveler. It is because of their rule that only a certain number / percentage of cabins can be sold to a solo traveler. I even read on one of these posts that they would rather not sell the cabin than to sell to a solo traveler. I don't understand the logic behind that, but it is what it is !!

Balcony, Single Passenger

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CabinSelectionView?langId=-1004&cruiseId=LX20180907VCEVCE&catalogId=10001&storeId=12264&krypto=afwlGFhFvQMk%2BVPBzekJb6lhd5khURbd3JKoUiohHC4p8Wso%2BRQRWpaLfPpKRZWS7ykr3%2B2AVnMF%0AOOO4ALc02chPIx78QlzHyNTOKJPA16TKQCdpKjlJPl%2BQXyJmphXXQEP4ePUtLgin1oG3%2Fi6nPQli%0AM8sfQNQH8dCq%2BjIk3yrcQ0HbJJYc9%2BVA5lF%2FUG7%2BqZMvXFY2Uux9B1Lm6NblxJgNUdcY4Nf6OQTq%0AMVadyW5UKqPnGP%2B45TlAK%2FtuvNwijrElmJduyvwkQrTkFw1e%2B17q%2FjieNTLPRuze9WxfQ9Tnxk3E%0AQK%2BJsW22CehvElIOfp4wYZJkTVpKWbXm9%2FlcKgVZdEAOBN1hpUUdA0BYcuogkC0OfvnK9X9FSN5f%0Av6JMcim3lSVUmpylXaEndJWzMuGEF2ZfySZEemTjEEAZZl2JXBiGrUCBmLpr7cnEZcui34LWGtJN%0ASbls9dN6BGqaq6Dmj8%2FO9yOBwjTGbgQ2ra0%3D&ddkey=https:CopySetCurrentOrderCmd

Balcony, Single passenger

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CabinSelectionView?langId=-1004&cruiseId=LX20180915BRIBRI&catalogId=10001&storeId=12264&krypto=A2iJYIT3qJVJTuAsOhwNUjBaSipg%2BNhep5JWGhiyBkSpTOzba%2BB8OnU77bzaOFgVOWvah3j%2FRfbv%0AZenf0lF6VTAGhxg9mrhJLtaqy97%2FMJzhFhsQo%2BFTDqEd4CawWU4Rlm10ozhk3qSMuanrgX95rO9f%0A1UDEMTqJ8c3Tq5n72Jw6KM9HBgekRcJh2sKrzUp287DFXS9fTddXDaFpYMH1VHGruYsFvYwHeBWs%0A8xW85kdcHIyZWgQg8eUlBuqrOgl9R23Od%2BmmSIaw25kgjeKybHyT8Mm0sNlPxjUzYYicGXQF8zqx%0AdPgXb1kgRqTQX0%2BEl4A7fFwLXbuxemLvN80zDLTJ%2BucfWK9AseoqPF1R1kYPqls4SN5yN4pnJuVl%0AWs50SKM2iPliYZotc4EdVVauziKEMK%2F5HhVB%2FoTN8SzCDj83JoIt3IXOwxqUspIdUHR%2FvpfOINxw%0An0on3sg0DOzJ9JKLs%2FgzUsHPJ5CxYAnLiE4%3D&ddkey=https:CopySetCurrentOrderCmd

Zoe&Shadow please don't be discouraged by rude comments ! There are a few nasty people on these boards and a few topics that set some folks off, but generally you will find truly helpful people here. We were all new posters at one time, and believe me I have been flamed more than once!

Please post your questions and comments . Let the haters hate.

Your comments are strange. OP was unable to book a single cabin, so they added a "second passenger" who was never going to cruise, in attempt to get around the rules.

No one was "nasty" or posted a rude comment or "hated."

Pointing out the question was answered on another thread simply alerts a poster to go back and read the answers, which a lot of new posters never do.

Edited by 6rugrats

I just feel like I'm lying when I have to add someone's name to the booking just get the cabin I want, and then have that person be a 'no-show' so it doesn't cost me even more ....

Well, you are lying.

Your comments are strange. OP was unable to book a single cabin, so they added a "second passenger" who was never going to cruise, in attempt to get around the rules.

No one was "nasty" or posted a rude comment or "hated."

Pointing out the question was answered on another thread simply alerts a poster to go back and read the answers, which a lot of new posters never do.

WOW ... In my original post, I stated that I added a person that "might be able to go". That person very much wanted to go, but was running into issues with getting time off work, someone to watch her children, etc. ... so at the time I posted I was just trying to figure out what I should do if she did come back and say she could not go. I was NEVER trying to "get around the rules". You might not think that is nasty or hateful .... but it's hurtful to me. I'm perfectly happy to pay for two people, and even purchase the drink package for two .... it just seems like after you make a booking and then something happens where one of the people can't travel, there should be a way to provide that info to the travel agent or cruise line. I'm sure this doesn't happen just to solo travelers. I would imagine that there are many times when two people booked a cabin and then illness or a family emergency or any number of other things kept one of them from going. I was simply trying to ask the members of this board what I should do when / if that happened. BTW, I have a cruise booked for next spring with a different cruise line ... and I'm traveling alone but paying for two in the cabin. That was NOT the issue.

Well, you are lying.

Well I'm lying too! I have previously cruised solo with MSC and paid the supplement - no problem. But I also tried to book from Southampton in September and when I put in 1 passenger there were absolutely no cabins available - any type. Change it to 2 and whoopee everything was available.

So I have booked a ghost cabin mate. I really wanted to go on this cruise and am travelling with 2 friends (married so sharing their own cabin) I have also annoyingly paid for 2 drinks packages - also because I really wanted a drinks package and my friends also have it. (yes my choice I know)

Since being widowed I have found it's really expensive to travel on your own and still travel the way you used to and still want to.

Well I'm lying too! I have previously cruised solo with MSC and paid the supplement - no problem. But I also tried to book from Southampton in September and when I put in 1 passenger there were absolutely no cabins available - any type. Change it to 2 and whoopee everything was available.

So I have booked a ghost cabin mate. I really wanted to go on this cruise and am travelling with 2 friends (married so sharing their own cabin) I have also annoyingly paid for 2 drinks packages - also because I really wanted a drinks package and my friends also have it. (yes my choice I know)

Since being widowed I have found it's really expensive to travel on your own and still travel the way you used to and still want to.

Thanks, lovetoholiday ! I'm very new to cruising and did not know anything about MSC until I found this cruise (I knew I wanted a Mediterranean cruise with a stop either in Cannes or Monte Carlo, and this fit the bill). It's a little off the topic, but I didn't read the fine print on the drink packages until AFTER I had booked along with several other people I will be traveling with. I only rarely have an alcoholic drink .... BUT, I found out that not only do you and your cabin mate have to book the same package, but if you want to sit with others in your party for meals, you have to buy the same drink package as all the other people !! So, now I'm paying for two drink packages that I would not have otherwise purchased !!! Live and learn ....

I am also a widow and I know what you mean about the expense !! I have found a site that shows cruises where the cruise line is offering a less than 100% supplement, so I might try one of those next time. I also know that there are some cruise lines that are selling solo cabins. The cabins are small, but you only pay for one person. The down side is that the ones I have found so far only have inside cabins, and I really, really wanted a balcony. I have also seen a cruise line that has virtual balconies ... I will have to find the name of the cruise line again and post to their board to see what people are thinking about that option.

Zoe&Shadow. The cruise line with the virtual balconies is Royal Caribbean. They are in the inside cabins on the Quantum class, and I believe on Oasis class, and are being put into the older ships as they are retrofitted They have also solo cabins called studio cabins. on the Quantum class, but when I was booking on the Anthem OT Seas, it was actually cheaper by a large amount to take a normal inside cabin with Virtual balcony (which is larger) then the solo studio cabin!