Marseilles - anything to do right around where the ship docks?

Pixiemom2

Ok, so now I am feeling guilty with the one word answer....although "No" is correct. We would suggest that OP simply use their ship's shuttle bus that will take them into town and drop passengers somewhere in the area of the Old Port (Vieux Port). From there you can certainly walk around the area, find cafes, take a boat over to Chateau d'If, etc. Just keep in mind that few experienced cruisers elect to stay in Marseille.

If you do get into town and find yourselves unhappy with the environment you would always (as long as you have enough time) be able to walk (or take a bus or taxi) over to the train station and use either a train or bus to head to Aix en Provence (about 20 miles distant).

Hank

Thanks for letting me know there is a shuttle. Is it safe to assume the bus runs both ways (to town and back to the ship)?

First time cruising in Europe and not that excited about the ship excursions.

Unless you find something of interest in Marseilles this is a port where taking a cruise line OYO trip simply for the transportation works quite well. We did that for Aix with a brief stop at one smaller village. Made the trip easier than trek back and forth to train/bus station plus transit. Also used up some of my OBC . I rarely do ship guided excursions but sometimes it just acts okay as a way from point to point. Especially this year with the on and off French train strikes scheduled.

I been to marseille 3 times on cruises and there’s plenty to do for the DIY people. If it’s just 2 of you, take the ships shuttle $15rt. If there’s 4, a taxi may be the better choice. There’s a port shuttle as well that I’ve seen people take but it’s only convenient if you dock close to the gate. I would just choose something within your comfort zone for a first time visit.

On our first visit we just walk around old port to watch the fish mongers, had a bouillabaisse lunch and did some shopping for French soap,spices, and souvenirs.

On our second visit we skipped the lunch and took the public bus #160 to Notre Dame Della Garde, the cathedral on the hill. You can also take the petite (tourist) train for $9eu.

On our recent unexpected itinerary change visit we went to the fort and museums in the shuttle drop off area.

There’s plenty to do on a budget in marseille without taking a ships excursion.

I been to marseille 3 times on cruises and there’s plenty to do for the DIY people. If it’s just 2 of you, take the ships shuttle $15rt. If there’s 4, a taxi may be the better choice. There’s a port shuttle as well that I’ve seen people take but it’s only convenient if you dock close to the gate. I would just choose something within your comfort zone for a first time visit.

On our first visit we just walk around old port to watch the fish mongers, had a bouillabaisse lunch and did some shopping for French soap,spices, and souvenirs.

On our second visit we skipped the lunch and took the public bus #160 to Notre Dame Della Garde, the cathedral on the hill. You can also take the petite (tourist) train for $9eu.

On our recent unexpected itinerary change visit we went to the fort and museums in the shuttle drop off area.

Thanks for this info. We'll be in Marseille in September, and my husband uses a mobility scooter (that folds). If we can find a ship excursion that will allow his scooter, we'll do it. Otherwise, we may have to stay on ship. Most shuttles won't accommodate a scooter, even one that folds.

Jane

• 4 weeks later...

Lamchops, do you recall where you ate the bouillabaisse? We are looking to do that, it's really all my boyfriend has talked about wanting to do in Marseille. Thank you so much!

DW and I are long time (many decades) independent travelers. In Marseille, the OP might want to consider going to Aix en Provence which is relatively easy to do on your own (usually at a substantial cost savings when compared to excursions). You simply need to get to Marseill's train station from where you can either take a regional train or a bus (the bus station is at the same location) to Aix. The easiest way to get to the train station is via taxi from the port. Another option is to take the shuttle bus into town (it drops you at the old port or Vieux Port) from where you can walk to the train station in about 15-20 min.

Hank

Lamchops, do you recall where you ate the bouillabaisse? We are looking to do that, it's really all my boyfriend has talked about wanting to do in Marseille. Thank you so much!

There are restaurants in the Old Port. I would look at Trip Advisor for restaurant recommendations and ask them if you need to make a reservation.

There are restaurants in the Old Port. I would look at Trip Advisor for restaurant recommendations and ask them if you need to make a reservation.

Thanks, I have done that but I was hoping to get a more personal review.