Beagle Feels Sincere "Pride Of America" - A Lengthy Trip Report w/Pics

Day 7 – Kona - How Secret Are These Waterfalls?

We were anchored up by 6:35am this morning. Or that’s when I peeked outside and saw we were anchored up. Here are two pictures. I’m not sure why they look so different. I apologize for the picture quality in this whole review. The pictures look good on the screen but once I download them, many are blurry.

enhance

enhance

We headed to the buffet early and so did everyone else. I got stuck behind some folks near the fruit and lo and behold, I finally found sliced cheese. No wonder I never found this item before, it was in the healthy section.

I booked The Secret Waterfalls of Kohala tour with Norwegian. I tried to find reviews but without knowing the company name, I found nothing, so we had no idea what to expect. Our tour tickets said to meet at the Hollywood Theater at 8:30. Everyone with an 8:30 ticket was walked to the tender boat. It turns out that the POA uses their own lifeboats as tender boats. That was pretty cool, until we were all sandwiched in with no view. I never did get a picture of the POA as we were moving away from her. The good news is that the ride goes very quick.

Our guides were right there as soon as we got off the lifeboat. The company name is Hawaii Forest & Trail. We were directed over to Justin’s van. We really got lucky as he could only fit 2 more in his van and as soon as we sat in the last row, off we went. We found out later the other van waited 25 minutes for 2 no-shows. This cut into their time and they didn’t get to see 1 of the waterfalls that we did.

Justin did a great job narrating the areas as we drove by. I found out a few fun facts like the big island only has 200,000 residents and is the size of Connecticut. On a good day you can see Maui. A month before we arrived you could see snow on Maui. During our drive, we actually go several miles down the path the bikers from the triathlon ride down. After a good hour of narration and looking around, I began to worry we might never get to their home base. Thank goodness I did not get motion sickness sitting all the way in the back.

enhance

We finally arrived at their home office after at least an hour and 45 minute drive. After a quick restroom break and suiting up in ponchos, we boarded yet another vehicle. This was an open air, off road type vehicle. I thought great, more riding. This ride is every bit of 25 minutes. Justin had the hammer down around all turns. I would have been afraid but I was freezing cold and getting pelted in the face with rain so I was much to annoyed to be afraid. We finally got to off road part of the ride and I saw fields and cows.

enhance

enhance

One of the guys on our tour was making jokes about how he thought a Hawaii cruise was going to be a tropical sunny paradise, but everything the wife dragged him to was pouring rain and muddy. I was beginning to wonder if I had picked a bad excursion. Then we started hiking. Just moving helped my attitude and then I saw the first waterfall... It took forever to get to it, but it was breathtaking...

enhance

Here are a few pictures as we hiked.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

The final waterfall was gushing so hard that standing near it, you were getting a shower. Which was no problem because we were already rained on the whole time. I tried to keep my distance and I hear DH say, “someone get my wife, I wanna get a picture.” Well might as well get up and personal with this monster. It was roaring. I sure wish I could post the video, but you get an idea from these pictures.

enhance

enhance

We piled back in the off-road vehicle and Justin took us to a little area called Polulu. I could have sat here the rest of the day. This view was incredible, and it was also incredible that it stopped raining!!

enhance

enhance

enhance

We had sandwiches, chips, cookies and drinks. It was a great lunch.This excursion is totally worth it. You just have to know from the start that if you book this as a cruise ship excursion, it’s a long ride from the port.

Justin took the scenic way back to port and we cut right through the center of the island. Everybody was enjoying the ride but it was twisty and hilly so after an hour, I turned green. Luckily, the closer we got to town, the better I felt.

The POA crew reminds everyone over and over that the last tender boat leaves at 5pm. I think Justin pulled up at the dock at 4. There are quite a few restaurants and stores right there. We went over to the Paradise Tap and Grill and got a quick, cold, (cheap) beer. Ahhhh... it felt good not to pay 7 bucks!!!! And the beers were ice cold.

enhance

enhance

That’s when my cell phone rang. It was Jack Harter calling to confirm our open door helicopter tour for the next day on Kauai. I was concerned about the weather and I was told we would be picked up rain or shine. They said the weather is so unpredictable that the pilots decide on the spot if we go up or not.

We finally had a chance to take an unobstructed picture of the POA

enhance

We boarded the lifeboat back to the ship at 4:47.

We headed to the Hollywood Theater about 6:20. Tonight’s show was Comedy and Magic with Jason Andrews. It was a good show, we really enjoyed it. Getting back on board so late we weren’t ready for dinner yet, so we went to the Gold Rush. Ray Baytista was playing guitar and singing. Wow, he was excellent. We didn’t go to the Skyline for dinner until he took a break. We did notice everyone in their white clothes for the White-Hot party. I didn’t know the POA had the White-Hot party so we didn’t bother. We went to dinner at 8:55. No line and no waiting.

DH had the French onion soup, Caesar salad and veal.

enhance

I had the cauliflower soup and grilled salmon.

enhance

enhance

And I had a little friend waiting for me in the cabin tonight.

enhance

Up Next – Let’s Fly Around Kauai!!!

Hi! I've just gotten home and caught up on your discussion...the great thing the week of 5/12-5/19 was that our weather was outstanding! We had sun and a light trade wind kept us comfortable. The bad thing was that we missed the Island of Hawaii completely...the volcano erupted and the fissures were unreliable... in reality, there was not much danger to us, but you just can't blame Norwegian for not taking any chances...I've written our review (not nearly as comprehensive as this one)...but we absolutely loved it...its hard to be home and not be spoiled. We took two years to pay everything ahead of time so we don't feel broke now that we are home and we went 1st class on everything... we agree that it was a trip of a lifetime for us!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Loving this review and looking forward to the conclusion, Hawaii is on the list for sometimes in the next 10 years - just have to decide on Pride of America vs one of the 15 days ones on Princess....

Great review. I have heard and read so much about the staff on the ship since it is an all American crew. Most I have heard has not been positive. I hope you mention your feelings on the service and attitudes of the crew as you experienced it. Thanks for a great review!

Great review. I have heard and read so much about the staff on the ship since it is an all American crew. Most I have heard has not been positive. I hope you mention your feelings on the service and attitudes of the crew as you experienced it. Thanks for a great review!

It isn't all American but mostly.

Back in 2006 when NCL had the 3 ships it was a train wreck and service not good.

Now with only one ship there NCL has it down. We sailed POA in 2016 and other than one grumpy bar server in buffet you'd think you were on any other NCL ship anywhere else in the world.

Hey Zona,

Your right, I have not really touched on that subject. Personally, our experience was great. All the dining staff was terrific. We loved our room steward and all the bartenders were friendly and we chatted them up from time to time if they weren't swamped.

Day 8 – Let’s Fly Around Kauai

Here's our view when we pulled into Kauai to dock.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

The rain and clouds had given us a break. We walked around and took a few pictures and decided we would sit outside and enjoy our breakfast in peace. We made plates from the buffet and took them all the way to the back of the ship. Well the truth is, there wasn’t an empty seat to be found inside, so it forced us outside BUT… it was great sitting out there enjoying the view.

enhance

We were not getting picked up until 12:15 for our excursion so we had plenty of time to walk around the ship. I took a few random pictures and we found some souvenirs for my mother in law.

enhance

enhance

You see this sign as soon as you walk off the ship

enhance

I had dreamed of an open-door helicopter tour and Jack Harter came highly recommended. Our driver pulled up at 12:08. We had another 4 people from the ship drive over with us to Jack Harter’s headquarters. We weighed in and got our safety instructions. Then 12 of us all piled back into the van and headed over to the airport.

They had 3 helicopters lined up to take 4 each up at once. The copter can hold 4 so we were placed with another couple that just arrived in Kauai for a weeks stay.The two husbands sat in the back and the other wife was stuck in the middle between me and the pilot. I could tell she was terribly disappointed. BUT… I was happy to be on the edge. It’s a hefty price to pay so I wanted the thrill of being right there. Our pilot was Ben. He was awesome. He did such a great job narrating everything we were seeing. He stayed in contact with the other pilots. They check in with each about weather and any issues. We flew in and out of rain clouds and I got pelted in the face a few times, but I loved it. I loved the take off and landing. It felt so incredible.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance