Shipboard Account

cvf32939

Last time I cruised on Princess (almost 10 years ago), I settled my account in cash on the last day. I've just booked a cruise on the Royal Princess at the end of the year and they are asking for my credit card details. Is this compulsory? Also, has anyone experienced any problems with this method of payment?

Presuming your home currency is sterling, credit card is the way to do it.

Ship's currency will be US dollars - if you pay cash in sterling Princess (& all other cruise lines) will convert at a pretty awful exchange rate, if you pay in USD you'll need to figure how many USD you'll need and you'll also get a poor exchange rate from exchange bureaux.

You'll need to pay cash into your on-board account at the start of the cruise, and at the end of the cruise you'll have to join a potentially long & slow queue at the purser's office (aka Customer Services) to settle-up who owes who.

If you use a credit card you simply register it at or before the start of your cruise, and at the end of the cruise your card will be charged in one lump sum. Unless you have any query, no need to "check out" at the end of the cruise.

The only downside is that the cruise line will put a daily "hold" on funds in your card (vaguely the same as that up-front deposit from those who choose to pay cash) to ensure there'll be funds available at the end of the cruise. That "hold" isn't taken from your card, it's merely "reserved" by the cruise line so it won't appear on your card statement.

Problem is, it can take a week or two after the cruise (ie after your card has settled your actual spend) before that "hold" is released. Cruise lines blame banks for that delay, banks blame cruise lines, but the upshot is that until the "hold" is released you can't access that amount of credit with your card. No interest is charged (the money's held/reserved, not taken) but it can be a problem if you are close to maxing your credit limit. That's why you shouldn't use your debit card if you run a low bank balance.

Car rental agencies do the same - in case of traffic fines, damage, car not returned with a full tank etc, ditto many hotels in case you run up a tab for food, phone, etc.

If I've not explained clearly enough, ask your bank / card supplier to explain about "holds".

I'm not aware of anyone having any other problem in using a credit card, and that's what the vast majority of cruisers do.

If you use a card - before or during your cruise Princess will offer to convert your on-board account from USD to sterling "for your convenience". DECLINE that kind :rolleyes: offer, because as above they'll do it at a poor exchange rate whereas if you leave it in USD your card supplier will convert at an excellent exchange rate - better than any exchange bureau & waaaay better than any cruise line.

Ditto for spending money ashore. Use your credit card for high-value purchases, and for foreign cash get it before you go from the usual suspects - Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda, Post Office, on-line, or use your debit card in the ports. If you use Sainsbury (probably others too) order it click-and-collect on-line - a better exchange rate that simply walking in.

Regular credit cards charge a conversion fee (but still much better value than Princess converting it), but there are cards like Halifax Clarity, Capital One, Nationwide Flex, Post Office credit card, that don't charge a conversion fee.

Especially if you expect to travel abroad from time to time it's well worth getting a card that has no currency conversion fee.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull