Glitter Top

See Norway

Against my better judgement I purchased a really pretty black and electric blue glitter top thinking it would be great on my next cruise. I did this even after I had read some of the threads about the glitter trail they leave behind. Well, I gave it a test run last night for New Year's and was horrified at the mess I made everywhere I went. Is there any way to salvage the top? Will it help if I wash it? Can I apply a coat of hair spray or something, or should I just toss it and chalk it up to lessons learned (but I should have known better)? Thanks, Lauren

Just embrace the trail of glitter you will leave everywhere you go. Many people have tried ways to keep the glitter on tops, (washing, hairspray, static guard, etc.) but none seem to have a very successful end result. On our last cruise, there were trails of glitter everywhere after formal night. Don't let it keep you from wearing something you enjoy.

Lauren, I think you would be better to ditch the top. I wonder how those people who say just "embrace" the trail of glitter that those tops leave behind would feel if it was deposited on their furniture in their living room. Another consideration is your partner whose suit will be covered in it. And last but by no means least that stuff ends up on your face and in your hair, not a pretty site!

Have a great cruise.

Lauren, I think you would be better to ditch the top. I wonder how those people who say just "embrace" the trail of glitter that those tops leave behind would feel if it was deposited on their furniture in their living room. Another consideration is your partner whose suit will be covered in it. And last but by no means least that stuff ends up on your face and in your hair, not a pretty site!

Have a great cruise.

I agree. When the spray glitter was cool when I was younger, several friends got the glitter in their eyes and it scratched their corneas. :eek: I have been fearful of glitter ever since. I go for sequins and beads. I say ditch and chalk it up as a lesson learned.

I agree. I had eye surgery in Nov and am so paranoid about getting some in my eye. With the glitter Christmas cards (which is all over my counters) and decorations, etc, I have found it on my hands and face. DH had green glitter on his face from a chair at a restaurant. Couldn't get some of it off. He looked odd.

Someone recently here wrote about putting their glittered piece of clothing in the dryer, on air only. It took off the majority of the glitter and no longer shed like most of them do. This might be worth a try, since the top is pretty much worthless otherwise.

I have one outfit with glitter on it, it stays in a plastic bag in the closet, so there is no glitter transfer to my other things. The dress will probably deteriorate from being stored in plastic.

Bottom line, unless you absolutely love this article of clothing, get rid of it, the trail you leave is a problem for others. The glitter embeds in others clothing, furniture, carpeting, I hadn't even thought of eye damage. I've had a scratched cornea before (contacts, not glitter) and it is no fun.

The air drying in the dryer sounds good. As you may throw out or donate the glitter top to a charity anyway, you can afford to take chances. Other options might be handwashing or even taking it to a professional dry cleaner who might have a way to launder the top and help shed it of the loosest glitter without changing the sparkle quotient significantly.

I'm one who loves to rescue clothing and sickly house plants. Throwing out clothes and house plants is a last step for me. I try every thing to make an outfit work before I give up. However, lately I do give up on seemingly hopeless clothing mainly because of limited closet space, but still struggle to rehabilitate sad house plants I just don't have the heart to throw away.

An update on the Christmas glitter....Put in contact this morning.. (thankfully the non operative eye)..was scratchy, took it out and found one little piece of blue glitter on the lense. Don't know if it was in my eye and the lense picked it up or on the lense first...but I think it was in my eye first as I was in the kitchen near the basket of Christmas cards that shed glitter (and there seems to be more of those kinds this year) :eek: before I put my contacts in.

My suggestion would be to take the top back to the store. The store will then return it to the manufacturer. It's defective merchandise.

To be very honest, I'd be very angry if I sat down on a chair with nice outfit only to find that I was then covered in someone else's cheap glitter from when they sat in the chair before me.

Jane

Hi, Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I thought about putting the top in the washer and dryer, but then was afraid of all of that glitter in my appliances! I wear contacts and had the fear of getting the glitter in my eyes. The top was on sale at Ross (a tip I learned on these boards) and it was less than $10. I won't miss it very much.... I appreciate all of the responses. Lauren

I washed the sacrificial red glitter shell that didn't fit me well. I thought if I ruined it, I didn't really care. It was the jacket that I loved and wanted to bring on the cruise. They're washable.

First I went outside and shook it until I was tired. Then I washed it with towels twice. I tumbled it on low heat with the same towels and took it out when it was still damp. I hung it up to finish drying and it looks great. I took it outside again and got no sprinkles in the air.

I'm doing the same thing to the jacket and if it works as well, I'll bring it on the cruise.

I'm eating crow tonight.

I tried washing the jacket in the same manner I washed the shell and it was a disaster. The towels left globs of lint on the jacket and the jacket left glitter everywhere. I had to clean my dryer and everything in the laundry room. I vacuumed the jacket with the furniture attachment and I think it may be OK, but definitely not worth the effort I put into it.

So.... do not do as I did...head hanging in shame.

Cats' Slave, sorry about the disasterous results with your jacket. I would have done the same thing however, since the shell washing went so well. Wonder what the difference is??? Thanks for being the guinea pig and sharing the results of your test. Lauren

I don't know what the difference was unless it was that the jacket was a lot more material than the shell. I did finally get the jacket looking nice and it looks like the shedding is finally over. I'm taking it on the cruise.

The best move I made today is vacuuming the jacket with the furniture attachment of my vacuum cleaner.

Was the jacket lined and you put it in the dryer?

My suggestion, wash again on delicate cycle.

Iron your seams flat on the interior of the jacket and the exterior of the jacket as well as lapels and pockets while the jacket is still wet.

Hang to dry for a couple of hours.

While the jacket is still damp, re-iron seams, lapels and pockets on the inside and outside of jacket.

Iron the flat surfaces of jacket.

Your jacket should be about 95% dry by this time.

After it dries completely, re-iron as needed.

I had an absolute breakdown at my dry cleaners for ruining a jacket and fixed it myself using the above method.

Now, I send nothing to the cleaners except jackets that have wool in them. I do it all myself by hand.

Figured I had nothing to lose so I hand-washed my glitter top and rinsed it for about 10 minutes. I then hung it outside to dry. Now I can't get a fleck of glitter off of that top. I have tried and tried to see if the glitter will fall, but I must have washed it all away! Thanks for the suggestions. Washing worked for me.

I am having the same problem with the beautiful light blue jacket w/silver glitter....It sheds all over the place....My black interior car looked like a silver mess when I wore it for a Christmas event. I think it is hand washable...I am going to give it a try.

Archived