Best Caribbean Cruise - help!

jane02

My husband & I would like to either cruise the Caribbean or Panama Canal in 2007. We have very limited knowledge about the Caribbean and whether the east, west or south is best!!:confused: We don't know anyone who has done a Caribbean cruise so would love any info or feedback that anyone can share with us. Ideally we would like to cruise in March or April 2007.

Thank you

Jane

Sorry I can't say which cruises are best as I have never done one but if you choose one that includes a visit to Grenada thats different.Grenada is a beutiful island and not to be missed.

NB:I see you are from Australia, will that affect the starting point of your cruise as I presume there are no flights from there direct to the Caribbean?

Thanks for the reply. When we were on the Brilliance last year, an American couple we met told us that if we were going to cruise the Carribbean, one side - east or west :cool: was more scenic, better beaches etc than the other. Of course I cannot remember which one!! Being from Melbourne does not faze us as we will fly to the embarkment port. We had to get to Barcelona to fly to the Med. Most cruise ships from Melbourne or Sydney only cruise the Pacific or are part of a world cruise which is far too long for us. I am grateful for any info that anyone can share.

Jane

G'day Jane... We've cruised the Caribbean a few times now: East three times, West and South once each. I suppose it depends on what your interests are as far as which itinerary is "best". All three have their own personalities, pros and cons. We're "beach people" and love to relax and snorkel on a beach with beautiful scenery, clear water and white sand, and we like to see as many islands in a week as we can. Based on what we've seen in our limited travels, we prefer the beaches in the Eastern Caribbean, especially around the Virgin Islands. The problem we've found, though, is that the Eastern itineraries often seem to have fewer stops. Quite a few ships that leave out of Miami seem to only stop in the Bahamas or a private island, St. Thomas, and San Juan and/or St. Martin. We've run into some folks who like the sea days more than the port days, so maybe this is the best of both worlds for those types...

The Southern itineraries usually embark in San Juan and tend to have more stops. And the Southern islands we've seen are beautiful. Saw some cool waterfalls and volcanoes in Guadeloupe, and nice beaches in Grenada and St. Lucia. Also had the one and only ever stop we didn't like: Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. YIKES!! When your wait staff and cabin stewards tell you not to even get off the boat, you know its not a great port! I haven't seen this stop on a cruise since (this was 1998), so for all I know we may have been the first and last cruise ship to visit there.

The Western cruise we did seemed to be a favorite with the younger partying crowd, with most stops in Mexico (Progresso, Cozumel and Costa Maya) and one in Belize. We really enjoyed Belize and Cozumel, as they both had beautiful beaches and good snorkeling. There are also a lot of "cultural" type excursions to Mayan ruins and things on the Western itineraries, if that sort of thing interests you.

We would love to do a Panama Canal crossing, but haven't done this yet. We met a couple who had, and they loved the crossing, and did some very interesting, active excursions at some of the Pacific ports of call (hiking, zip-lining and canopy hopping through the rain forest, etc.), but they said the beaches weren't as nice as in the Caribbean.

As far as cruiselines, our favorite cruises by far have been on Windstar cruiseline, the small sailing ships. We've done two of these on the Wind Spirit out of St. Thomas. They typically hit a different island every day, go to some of the more out of the way ports that the larger ships can't go, and usually stay in port longer. I think they have some Panama Canal crossings, as well as Caribbean cruises, at least during our Winter months. (Is it Summer or Winter in Australia?) Windstar is very casual, quiet, and relaxing, if that interests you. If you like more activities and entertainment, however, you should stick with the more mainline cruises and bigger ships.

Well, Jane, that's my $.02 worth. I don't know if any of this is helping you, but its sure been therapeutic for me to daydream about it a little... Wish I were planning a cruise now, instead of paying for my daughter's dorm room. (I'm trying to convince her that a college education is over-rated...) I hope some others chime in with their opinions, but you can always scan the other boards for more feedback on the different islands. Let us know what you decide. I'm sure you'll have a great time whichever you choose!

Hi Jane...Just a thought--Have you thought about Back-to-Back Caribbean cruises? You can do a 7 day Western, come back to Miami, stay on the same ship ( Radiance, sister to the Brilliance), then do the Eastern Caribbean. We have done this on another ship and loved it. If you have the time, it is well worth staying on the same ship, usually in the same cabin (if you book far enuf ahead of time, and if it is available). Food for thoughr...Helen

Thank you 2 Feathers for that info - certainly gave me a better idea of the layout.

Helen - your idea was certainly food for thought and I will definately look into that option.

Cruising is not as big a thing here in Australia ( well not with my age group anyway) so apart from relying on our travel agent & reading cruise magazines, I have found the most useful information here on this site. I haver only been on two cruises but I am totally hooked. My husband and I are cruising in May around the Kimberleys (which is the north west coast of Australia )which I am really looking forward to.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Jane;)

Great idea Helen! Your suggestions got me thinking that you might even be able to do a repositioning cruise that goes thru the Panama Canal into the Caribbean, and see both areas on the same cruise. I pulled up Windstar's website, because I know they reposition their ships a couple of times each year. They have a 14-day cruise on the Wind Star that begins in Costa Rica, transits thru the Canal, then goes some Caribbean ports and ends in Barbados. Nice! But its not cheap at around $4,000 US per person to start according to their website... Not sure if this will work, but here is a link to that page:

http://www.windstarcruises.com/FindCruises/theamericas.asp?Ryear=2007&Rmonth=3&Location=PANAMA+CANAL&ItenID=3070331&map=PanamaCanal_Caribbean14Day.jpg&show=Iten

I'll bet some of the other cruise lines do the same thing. Happy hunting!

Hi jane02:

I've been on 22 cruises on Southern and Western Caribbean. Well it depends which cruise of the Caribbean you want to take and what date.

I live in Puerto Rico and depends on the ship you take, you will find which route you have.

Any other question, write to me.

Lilrod

Puerto Rico

Hi Lilrod,

As Helen suggested I am looking atback to back cruises now. The Jewel of the Seas - Eastern Carribean leaving April 7th 07 then hopping back on for the Western Carribbean cruise leaving April 15th 07.

The ports are-

Fort Lauderdale,San Juan, Philipsburg, st Johns, St Thomas,Nassau

Fort Lauderdale,Key West, Cozumel,Costa Maya, George Town

Any comments:confused: Has anyone done this back to back this way? Will the weather be OK then?

I would appreciate any comments - positive or negative. We would like to book soon.

Thanks heaps.

Jane;)

I am so new to cruising, that I dont' even know Jewel of the Seas>>> all of that. I have cruised twice before but only Disney, so I am so unfamiliar with all of the other cruise line. The only thing I have heard is too avoid Carnival?? I have done Eastern and I loved it, and then I did Mexico, it was okay, I probably wouldn't do that again. Would love to hear others ideas and reccommendations

We took the Southern Caribbean Medley in April on the "Dawn Princess"- it was a good itinerary: Curacao, Isla Margarita, Barbados, Dominica, St. Thomas, and Princess Cays in the Bahamas. We're partial to the Southern and Eastern itineraires, and- as I lived in Curacao for two years, I'm partial to the ABC islands. (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao.) The weather, in April, was very warm and pleasant for us beach lovers- we only had one cloudy day out of ten! (But that was then and you never know.)

Many cruise lines combine some good island visits with the Panama Canal itinerary. Back-to-back sounds good too, for people travelling long distances to port.

Have a great time, whatever you decide.

We've had about 30 cruises in the Caribbean and one thru the Panama Canal.

The canal is really something to see, and as a previous cruiser said it can also include the Caribbean.

We live in Florida so the Caribbean is a no brainer for us, we go often.

St Thomas, St Maarten, and Grand Cayman are good shopping ports.

The Western Caribbean to Cozumel & Costa Maya have always been good too. We love the Mayan people. We prefer cruises without Jamaica, Dominica and some of the other impoverished ports.

Hi jane02

I saw your cruise back to back and I think that you had a good one. The only port that I haven't visit is Costa Maya but if it is as good as Cozumel, it most be wonderful to be there. I've done the Western Caribbean 2 times on Costa cruise ships (Costa Victoria and Costa Mediterranea 2003).

At my point you have a great cruise on a great ship.

Have a nice time.

Lilrod

Puerto Rico

• 2 weeks later...

hi Jane- we're from Melbourne too, and I've been researching the same sort of cruise as you - I've also come to the conclusion that a back-to-back is the best idea. We are thinking of January or February though. I like the itinerary you mentioned, it sounds great.

thanks to everyone for the great advice! (it really helps:) )

Southern Cross UK- NZ 1965 (through the Panama)

Pacific Princess Sydney - Noumea etc. February 2004

Pacific Princess Sydney - Noumea etc. January 2005

Diamond Princess Singapore - Sydney Christmas 2005

Hi Raringtogo,

I am glad that Helen suggested B2B as I probably would not have thought about it. All booked now so roll on April 2007.

I saw you have also been on the Pacific Princess - what a great ship. I really loved it and had a fantastic time.

Hope you have some luck with your cruise planning.

Jane:)

• 2 months later...

Hi Jane and Raringtogo,

When I first saw your post Jane, I thought that someone had been impersonating me, as it is almost exactly the same as a post I placed on another board. Then your too raringtogo!!! What a coincidence as we are from Melbourne also and intending to travel March/April 2007!

We are still floundering as we really want to sail Princess as we have done on several occasions before, inc the PP in March last year! But your information is food for thought and I'll be jumping onto RCL to investigate the possibility of a B2B for ourselves.

Isn't it just the pits that we have to travel so far to cruise these days!

Lara

• 4 weeks later...

Panama Canal or Caribbean?

As others have said, you can combine both in a single cruise. I know that Holland America offers some itineraries that offer both. I say if you can afford it, the longer, the better!

My wife and I have sailed Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries. We prefer Eastern, with a stop at HAL's Half Moon Cay.

Archived