Did any notice on the Travel Channel show on Radiance in Alaska?

flagger

During the segment where they show inside the Solarium, there is clearly a woman with a young child in the hot tub. IIRC, they do have times that children are allowed in the Solarium on AK cruises, but I thought the rules prohibited young children in hot tubs all the time. When the tv show has it going on, no wonder everyone else is confused about "rules".

I saw the show and was truely AMAZED at how beautiful that ship is. We were considering an Alaskan cruise for our 20th Anniversary (with kids) in 2009 (I know it's a long time out, but it will take me that long to convince my husband to cruise with me!!). That show sealed the deal for me!!! I am going to my local AAA office tomrrow and get the Alaska Cruise book. Anyone with any info about this ship/cruise, please post or direct me to where I can read about it!!

Thanks!!

I went to Alaska on Radiance in August of 2003 and it was an experience of a lifetime. The ship and destination is absolutely beautiful.

While out in open water I was standing on my balcony while orcas were swimming along side the ship.

Make it a point to do this cruise!

Swashbuckler Ron

We did this itinerary on Vision, the pools were C-O-L-D, they kept emptying the outside pool for "mandatory cleaning" and refilling it. The Solarium pool wasn't filled and opened until the 3rd day of the cruise, then it was filled and it was cold. By the end of the cruise it was emptied again for "mandatory cleaning". Dunno what was going on but the hot tubs weren't hot, just tepid, so that babies health wasn't in any danger if they were in there. Radiance is doing Visions itinerary this year and it was beautiful. Saw whales everyday, and snow capped mountains everywhere. Saw the biggest congregation of eagles in Ketchikan. Can't wait to get back!

We loved the Radiance so much we went back to Alaska two years later on the Serenade. Both times we had freak warm weather (mid 80's) and there were kids in both pools. I can't wait to go back again! I have the show on DVD but noticed it was on the Travel Channel last night and couldn't help myself.

Misty

They do allow children to swim with their parents during open swim sessions. They were 2-4pm and 6-8pm while we were on board last summer. There were never any problems.

I think the point that the OP was making was the youngster being in the hot tub in the Solarium. That is not supposed to happen regardless of the weather conditions outside. In inclement or cool weather, youngsters are allowed in the solarium pool for a limited number of hours if they are under adult supervision. The rules for the jacuzzis, in the Solarium and out on the deck, don't permit children under 16 or so at any time. However, we all know that there are parents out there that don't believe that the rules apply to them or their children. Apparently the cameras caught one such parent on the Alaska cruise. Doesn't make it right but it doesn't indicate that RCI staff don't usually enforce the rule, which is established for for health reasons - it isn't healthy for young children to be in hot tubs.

We were on the Radiance for Alaska this past June. It was my first time on this class of ship and we absolutely fell in love. It was an incredible trip on an incredible ship! I liked the ship class sooooooooo much that I booked 2 more cruises on it and the Jewel. Wish they would make more of this class and less jumbo ships.

During the segment where they show inside the Solarium, there is clearly a woman with a young child in the hot tub. IIRC, they do have times that children are allowed in the Solarium on AK cruises, but I thought the rules prohibited young children in hot tubs all the time. When the tv show has it going on, no wonder everyone else is confused about "rules".

If you look at his posts he either complains or is cheap.

We were bummed all they showed was Alaska. I was hoping for the Southern Carribean route!!! The Solarium is always 85 degrees.

I heard them say in the show last night, that the Solarium is always kept at 78°. 85° would be a bit warm, almost stuffy....

I think the point that the OP was making was the youngster being in the hot tub in the Solarium. That is not supposed to happen regardless of the weather conditions outside.
Thank you for so eloquently pointing out the observation I was making.

We did this itinerary on Vision, Dunno what was going on but the hot tubs weren't hot, just tepid, so that babies health wasn't in any danger if they were in there.

OP, I'm a mother, I care about babies and rules and I know why the rules are the way they are, and the water in the hot tub wasn't hot enough to hurt a fly. At least that's the way it was on Vision.

I got the feeling that the show was carefully filmed, using staged shots -- like they either had actors or picked out cruisers to stage them in certain scenes. There's just something too easy-going about the people they filmed. So my theory is that they set up that hot tub scene with the kid and the goggles, without regard for the rules, it was just the right look.

I made that same comment to my husband when they showed the "where to go if you have a problem" and all they showed was two teenagers saying that they had lost their keys. I told him that I bet they have a few more serious complaints than that, plus the boys were all giggly as if they had been asked to play that role.

Archived