A HAL loyalist’s take on a Queen Mary 2 crossing

sppunk

There is no legitimate comparison between the unhealthy seating one may find when they reach their seat on a flight, and anything on a Cunard ship.

There is at least the common fact that, as in many things, when traveling by air (or by ship) you will get more if you are willing to pay more.

If a narrow seat with little legroom is unacceptable, pay more and get a wider seat with more legroom - or much more and get a seat that fully reclines. There are many for whom spending time in a small inside cabin on a ship is unacceptable, so they pay more for an outside, or much more for a verandah, or very much more for a suite.

We've done a couple of QM2 crossings- I believe the write-up was fair and generally accurate. The thing is, if you have the time, QM2 is the best way to cross - much cheaper than first, or even business, class air - and far superior to the typical purgatory of a coach flight.

We've done 8 or 9 crossings on QM2 and I wholheartedly agree. Why would you choose to cross any other way if you had the time and resources? I think she's the most beautiful ship afloat and she's an ocean liner to boot!

The food is meh, in my opinion. HAL's is better. I'll never understand Cunard's "thing"about pepper. Just give us a small pepper grinder on the table and be done with it! It's not gold!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, interesting discussion.

For me, I find the food in Britannia underwhelming. I think that Is directly related to the different levels of dining offered depending on cabin. So for me I appreciate that on Hal I eat the same food no matter what cabin I am travelling in. I can choose to pay more for the pinnacle grille no matter my stateroom.

The small interior Neptune lounge does in no way compare to separate decks and dining rooms. And yes the PG for breakfast is nice.

I am not against choice or paying for more, I just was very underwhelmed by the food in Britannia. So call it class or perks. But if you are only in a balcony you will eat far better on HAL.

Having sailed on QM2 in every level of cabin (save the apartments), I cannot for the life of me ascertain any difference in the food served between Queens Grill, Princess Grill, Brittania Club, or Brittania. Queens offers a very limited off-menu selection. That's it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk