Excursions- Need Advice on Bringing Food off Ship

KnitnCruz

I am always curious to these "can I take "food" off the ship....I always look for and ask....If you have taken food off the ship...come back and tell us what you took off, where, and what happened.

I am always curious to these "can I take "food" off the ship....I always look for and ask....If you have taken food off the ship...come back and tell us what you took off, where, and what happened.

We normally just take off food that's allowed but I "tested" the food dogs in Cozumel a few cruises ago with an apple core & some orange peeling wrapped in a napkin.

No problems.

Maybe they weren't hungry that day or just lazy. :rolleyes:

It is illegal in all US ports to take unpackaged food off the cruise ship. If caught, there will be a hefty fine.

It is the same in most other ports.

Whether others have claimed to get away with it or have stated that it is not (was not at the time they were there) enforced is besides the point.

Either you choose to break the law or you don't.

Just as an aside. A few years ago the PBS travel show guy Rick Steves was on a Princess European cruise with his girl friend. They had a standard balcony cabin, but, being who he was, Princess comped them the suite perk of breakfast in Sabatini's. The girl friend posted in their travel blog that they always ordered a couple of ham-cheese-on-croissant breakfast sandwiches to take with them and stash in their backpacks for lunch while in port. Guess some people can get away with stuff like that. :confused:

I was on a north-bound Alaska Princess cruise last spring and brought an apple or bagel (and sometimes lox) sandwhich along almost every port day, more for my low blood pressure, nut allergy and ease. It was worth the risk for me.. and no one ever looked or asked. But the pre-packaged bought ahead items sound wise also. Enjoy!!

Your never far from a McDonald’s lol [emoji23]

You are in Alaska!! There are McDonald's in Ketchikan and Juneau, but they aren't anywhere near the cruise ships. There's NO McDonald's in Skagway and I suspect many of the other smaller ports.

There are, however, local restaurants which have MUCH better food than McDonald's! :D