Summary/Overview of Cruise lines (For New Cruisers)

qsuzi

I've searched Cruise Critic, online generally and at various cruise lines individually for a summary or overview that would feature the basic pros and cons. Most of what I found is too generic. I would appreciate links or any ideas to help in my search. Our neighbors have never cruised and and want this type of information. A summary I can put together would include Princess, Celebrity, HAL, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival from my viewpoint only (lines we have sailed).

I think you would be selling your neighbor/friend short with such a comparison. That is because you are leaving out several other good options such as Viking Ocean Cruises, MSC (especially the Yacht Club), and the new Virgin Voyages Product scheduled to launch their first ship in 2020.

Hank

I've searched Cruise Critic, online generally and at various cruise lines individually for a summary or overview that would feature the basic pros and cons. Most of what I found is too generic. I would appreciate links or any ideas to help in my search. Our neighbors have never cruised and and want this type of information.

I would suggest they sit down with a good brick & mortar TA who knows about the various cruise lines. They probably don't even know all the questions they should be asking. The more they learn, the more questions they should have---at least for a while.

There use to be a book called Unofficial Guide to Cruises, but it has not been in print since 2007. It was the best book for newbies to cruising.

I have a Fodors Guide to European Cruises that talks about the ships and the Pros and Cons.

But the best still being published is the Berlitz Guide to Cruising and Cruise Ships. Check your local book store or your local library.

I've searched Cruise Critic, online generally and at various cruise lines individually for a summary or overview that would feature the basic pros and cons. Most of what I found is too generic. I would appreciate links or any ideas to help in my search. Our neighbors have never cruised and and want this type of information. A summary I can put together would include Princess, Celebrity, HAL, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival from my viewpoint only (lines we have sailed).

I think a helpful starting point would be for them to decide where they'd like to cruise to first and what length of cruise they're interested in, and then research the cruise lines that cruise to that area and offer cruises of the length they're interested in. Another helpful starting point to narrow things down is for them to first decide which ports they're interested in cruising from. Knowing those 3 pieces of information is a great starting point IMHO. From there they can start their research into the cruise lines that meet their criteria.