Ruby Princess Alaska Cruise Review May 19 to 26, 2018.

ROWSE

I don't know if this helps, but I have saved this from cruise critic article about the cemetery in Skagway for my cruise:

Gold Rush Cemetery andReid Falls: A junket out tothe Gold Rush Cemetery and Reid Falls is well worth your time yet costs only $5per person, round trip, in shuttle fare. Board the hop-on, hop-off SMART blue-and-whitebus at the Second Street and Broadway stop, an easy walk from the cruise ship.You'll be let off about a half-mile from the cemetery. Follow the gravel roadaround and behind the railroad yards. Continue across the railroad tracks.(This walk may take longer than you expect, given the scenery all around youthat begs for photos.) The cemetery is in the woods just past the parking area.Yes, this is an especially creepy cemetery, but it's thought-provoking to seehow young people were when they passed on during that era. Follow the signs toa short forest trail behind the cemetery that leads to Lower Reid Falls. You'llfeel like you just discovered a beautiful, secret place, even though there willprobably be other sojourners coming or going.

Joy

Rowse, I just stumbled onto your report and enjoyed it, very much. I hope you're still following because I have a question.

The cemetary/waterfall hike that you took in Skagway sounds very interesting to me. I've been to Skagway on previous cruises. but I'd never heard of this. We have two cruises booked to AK, next year--on the Ruby Princess in April and on the Royal Princess in September. I'm pretty sure that both of those stop in Skagway. Can you give me quick directions to the cemetary?

We were on the Emerald Princess to Alaska late April/early May. In Skagway I did find some neat hiking trails close to town, but I did not see any waterfalls like you saw. Oh, and for what it's worth, there was no problem leaving the ship at any of our stops. Your unfortunate report was quite surprising.

I am so glad you stumbled onto my review!

Thank you to Joyinthemouse for adding a blurb on the Cemetery.

If you want to grab the shuttle then that is perfect information. We were out for a hike in itself, so just to be sure we

knew what we were doing, we stopped by the information center on the cute street with all the old time buildings. This is Broadway Street.

Here is a link to a map of downtown: http://skagway.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/downtown-map.png

From Broadway you walk out to 15th and take a left over one street to State street then follow it out till you see signs. They are very visible. Make sure you do not cross the bridge over the Skagway River, or you have gone too far. This map shows where the turn is and then you can't get lost after that. If you want to go without stopping by the visitor's center then just go to State street and head straight out of town as it shows on the map. Remember this is about a 4 mile round trip hike.

That waterfall was just beautiful! Hope all your Alaska adventures are wonderful!!!

Thank you. It's easy to see from the map.

Another question, though. Can I do it in sneakers? I do have hiking boots. but I really do not want to pack them.

My friend had sneakers, and I had hiking boots. We were both happy with our choices. I think you would be fine with just sneakers on this particular hike.

I so enjoyed your review and pics! Alaska is my dream cruise! This makes me want to go that much more! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you so much! So glad you enjoyed it! Alaska is beautiful, and I hope you get your dream come true soon!

Great review and wonderful pictures! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. We did an Alaskan cruise in 2005 and are going again this September on the Emerald Princess. I followed every day and loved your review and your writing. Thanks again!

Rowse, I just stumbled onto your report and enjoyed it, very much. I hope you're still following because I have a question.

The cemetary/waterfall hike that you took in Skagway sounds very interesting to me. I've been to Skagway on previous cruises. but I'd never heard of this. We have two cruises booked to AK, next year--on the Ruby Princess in April and on the Royal Princess in September. I'm pretty sure that both of those stop in Skagway. Can you give me quick directions to the cemetary?

We were on the Emerald Princess to Alaska late April/early May. In Skagway I did find some neat hiking trails close to town, but I did not see any waterfalls like you saw. Oh, and for what it's worth, there was no problem leaving the ship at any of our stops. Your unfortunate report was quite surprising.

its very easy to walk from the ship and if you want less walking-- take shuttle or taxi to the cemetery area

copied from website

The Gold Rush Cemetery

This is the oldest cemetery in Skagway and the easiest to visit. This was the first cemetery for the City of Skagway and many of our famous Gold Rush characters are interred here including local kingpin Jefferson "Soapy" Smith and early tourism promoter Martin Itjen and his "world's largest gold nugget." A list of people interred at the Gold Rush Cemetery is available for download (accessible PDF 344 KB).

A trip to the Gold Rush Cemetery is a short walk from town and can be coupled with scenic Lower Reid Falls. It is also possible to take the local SMART bus shuttle to a stop 1/2 mile from the cemetery. Many commercial tours of town also include stops at the cemetery.

The Pioneer Cemetery

This cemetery was used by the town of Skagway after the Gold Rush in the early days of the frontier community. A list of those interred is available for download (accessible PDF 343 KB).

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/learn/historyculture/cemeteries.htm

we have done this hike with our small children. we also made other stops.

Shuttle to cemetery which is near the train roundhouse. after cemetery/waterfall hike, came back out and then visited Jewell's garden, then back to town and explored in town (Glass blowing, Museum, Junior Ranger Activity, gold panning) and then walked back along Pullen creek where the salmon can be running

Great review and wonderful pictures! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. We did an Alaskan cruise in 2005 and are going again this September on the Emerald Princess. I followed every day and loved your review and your writing. Thanks again!

Thank you so much for commenting! It is fun to see who will be enjoying Alaska soon! Have a wonderful cruise on the Emerald!