Getting to Sunday Mass at St Marks

nmsk5

We are staying at the Hotel Canal Grande and are planning on walking to St Marks to attend Sunday mass at 8am. It looks like the walk should take about 25 minutes with about 25 different turns! Should we take a vaporetto instead?

Depends whether you enjoy walking and finding your way through little streets. I’ve just had a look at where your hotel is. The quickest way to walk puts you on the wrong side of the Grand Canal, so you’d have to take the traghetto (gondola ferry) across or go across the Rialto bridge. I think I would probably get the Vaporetto 1 or 2 along the Canal. Have you got a pop up map of Venice? They only cost a few pounds/dollars from Amazon and they’re brilliant. The Venice one shows the Vaporetto routes and they’re so easy to put in your pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can you buy a single ride vaporetto ticket at the dock or should we buy a 24 hour pass? We are there only 1 day prior to our cruise.

Thank you!

It depends on how much you will be using the vaporetto - will the trip to St. Mark's be the only use (if so, a single ticket would suffice). Venice is best explored on foot - my favorite gelato shop is located in one of the little calle's behind St. Mark's.

BTW - we attended the sung mass at St. Mark's and it was a wonderful experience (bonus: the mosaics are illuminated during the mass).

The best Vaporetto ride is the one along the Grand Canal, so if you use the Vaporetto to get from your Hotel to St Marks you will have done that. The one way fare is €7.50, a day Pass is €20. Don’t forget you have to validate your ticket before boarding. This website is good for information about Vaporetto https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-vaporetto-fares.htm

Sent from my iPad using Forums