Passport Card Enough

masterdrago

I had not even considered the cost to do the ferry crossing. Trip would be rent in Vancouver, ferry to Victoria, do Butchart Gardens, poke around Victoria, Maybe stay overnight there, back over ferry, drive to Seattle, drop at air port or closeby, then fly out. I'll check ferry prices b4 we plan this end cruise excursion. Might get expensive but we'll most likely only be there one time.

Also, thanks for the customs links. Sent them a message.

Last summer we did this trip from DFW to Seattle to Vancouver to Victoria and back. The terminals in Canada are not close to the either city. From Vancouver, you board the Ferry in Tsawwassen. The Butchart Gardens are outside of the city. You will probably spend more than $100 CAD on taxis if you objective is to accomplish this in one day.

My sons are piano players so we had to stop at the beach for them to take turns playing the piano on the beach.

Car costs on ferry?

We dealt with that by taking a bus from the ship to the ferry...and were walk on passengers. When we got to Sidney we called Enterprise (we'll pick you up) for a car...used it for two days...then returned to Vancouver the same way.

I am sure that you could be walk ons for the Ferry from Sidney/Victoria to Seattle.

Depends on who you ask. I wouldn’t want to risk it and would just get the booklet version and know I’m safe than find out I’m not. Plus I’m flying into Vancouver anyway so need that regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If we do not fly out of Vancouver, it will be about a $500 savings - no renewed passport, cheaper air back home from Seattle and a nonstop flight to boot. The nonstop part really makes us happy since it will be a 4 hour trip instead of a 10 to 17 hour trip with one or more stops. We are still waiting on email confirmation that all we need is the passport card. Most of the references that this thread has provided and others I've found indicate that only the card is needed if not flying out of or into Canada. Yes, I could call RCI, but a phone conversation is hardly hard evidence. We would much rather spend the coin on excursions and sight seeing.

Last summer we did this trip from DFW to Seattle to Vancouver to Victoria and back. The terminals in Canada are not close to the either city. From Vancouver, you board the Ferry in Tsawwassen. The Butchart Gardens are outside of the city. You will probably spend more than $100 CAD on taxis if you objective is to accomplish this in one day.

My sons are piano players so we had to stop at the beach for them to take turns playing the piano on the beach.

We gave up on the Gardens. Called them and May is the month they transition from Spring to Summer and not much to see at least according to the folks there we talked with.

Also found on cruise line web pages:

The Passport Card

The passport card cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States nor travel to Cuba.

U.S. citizens may present a limited-use, wallet-size passport card. The passport card will only be valid for land and sea travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region and Bermuda.

If we do not fly out of Vancouver, it will be about a $500 savings - no renewed passport, cheaper air back home from Seattle and a nonstop flight to boot. The nonstop part really makes us happy since it will be a 4 hour trip instead of a 10 to 17 hour trip with one or more stops. We are still waiting on email confirmation that all we need is the passport card. Most of the references that this thread has provided and others I've found indicate that only the card is needed if not flying out of or into Canada. Yes, I could call RCI, but a phone conversation is hardly hard evidence. We would much rather spend the coin on excursions and sight seeing.

The advice to call RCI is to see if they will allow you to board with a Passport Card. We are on Radiance right now, and were told by our land tour guide that a valid passport was required to board the ship. This has nothing to do with border control from either US or Canada - this was the cruise line requirement. I would just verify if a passport card is OK or not as this cruise is considered an international cruise as it starts in one country and ends in another. Better to be safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Finally got something official in writing. Since RCI has not responded to several emails and their web pages only say passport needed, I wanted to know which one. Below is the answer from the National Passport Information Center (NPIC.state.gov........

Thank you for contacting the National Passport Information Center Valid US Passport cards will be accepted in place of the passport book at land and sea points of entry between the United States and Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Passport cards are NOT accepted for international air travel, but can be used as identification for travel on domestic flights. For further information, please refer to our website www.travel.state.gov or call (877) 487-2778, for TDD/TTY users 1-888-874-7793 (Mon-Fri 8:00AM to 10:00PM ET; excluding federal holidays). If you need to contact us again by email, please include all prior messages/correspondence in your reply so we can review what has previously taken place. Thank you. National Passport Information Center Agent # 55349

That tells you what the immigration rules are. Doesn't tell you if RCI has a stricter/different requirement....
Finally got a written answer from RCI. All their web pages say is passport needed - not which one!! With all now in writing, It is clear that what we have (passport cards) will do the job. Do not have to go out and spend another $262USD! From RCI.......

Dear Mr. Drake: Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response. For sailing that begin and/or end in a Canadian port a passport is required. However, a U.S. Passport Card, Enhanced Driver License, or Trusted Travel Program Card from Nexus, Sentri or Fast is also acceptable. We are proud to introduce a new way for our guests to experience the amazing locales and activities our ports-of-call have to offer. Private Journeys is an exciting program that allows you to work with our Destination Insiders to create a customized experience in any port-of-call on your itinerary. Our Destination Insiders have years of expertise and can assist you in crafting your personalized scheduled journey, which can be flexible in duration and can even include meals and entrance fees to local attractions. For more information, please visit: www.royalcaribbean.com/privatejourneys To start planning your Private Journey today, please call our Destination Insiders at 1-844-571-7851 or send an e-mail to privatejourneys@rccl.com. Their hours of operation are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday. As a Gold Crown & Anchor Society member, Mr. Drake, we thank you for your loyalty to Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming you aboard the Radiance of the Seas in May of 2019. Sincerely, Michelle Peacock Royal Caribbean Customer Support -----------------------------

I would be very uncomfortable traveling with just the passport card. If there was an emergency you would not be able to fly with just the card. I have both the card and book. I would use the card on a day excursion or if I lost my passport book, as it contains my information.
In all my poking around over the last two weeks, I've read several that emergencies were allowed using the card - emergency flight back to U.S. from both eastern and western Caribbean and also the Bahamas. So, historically, the passport card did not hinder an emergency flight back into U.S.