California coastal

augies

Which California coastal do you recommend? The one that goes North from San Francisco to astoria, victoria, Seattle? Or, the one that goes South to LA, San diego, sant a barbara, etc.

Both are 7 days.

Thanks.

What time of year and what activities appeal to you?

Santa Barbara, LA, San Diego, Catalina are definitely Southern California ... great beaches, year-round good weather, very outdoorsy. Technically all of So Cal is a desert with very low rainfall. History and culture are both influenced by proximity to Mexico and Spanish settlement. Ocean is cool, but usually a bit tamer than up north.

Astoria, Victoria, Seattle are Pacific Northwest. Also outdoorsy, but a much wetter, cooler climate with more forests. The historical backgrounds in these areas are all different and their current foreign cultural influence is more Asian than Hispanic. Ocean is likely to be rougher and colder than down south.

Either trip can be fantastic, but if you can only do one, you just have to pick whichever one appeals to you more.

I have not done the northern route, but have been looking at it -- hope they continue to do in the future years, can't do this year, going to Europe. I have visited Vancouver and Victoria on other cruises, loves these ports, have always heard good things about Seattle. Time of year is good "fall", Calif coast weather is nice in the fall. That goes for both north and south. Washington and Oregon do get more rain year round than California... that being said, spring time in California can be rainy... so weather unpredictable in California in the spring.(some years very dry and some very wet) .. never the less I have booked the southern route from San Francisco to Mexico and back in the spring of 2019. I have done this route only once before. liked Santa Barbara, San Diego... Long Beach and Esinada are not great in my book. We enjoy time at sea and time on board when in ports as well. -- so went ahead and booked. We live in near San Francisco... so can do either easily,.

We’ve done both several times. Enjoy the northern route more. Out of Astoria we took a day tour to Mt. St. Helens that was awesome. Butchart Gardens in Victoria always a “must do”. We then enjoy spending an extra day or two in Vancouver, a beautiful city.

I have not done the northern route, but have been looking at it -- hope they continue to do in the future years, can't do this year, going to Europe. I have visited Vancouver and Victoria on other cruises, loves these ports, have always heard good things about Seattle. Time of year is good "fall", Calif coast weather is nice in the fall. That goes for both north and south. Washington and Oregon do get more rain year round than California... that being said, spring time in California can be rainy... so weather unpredictable in California in the spring.(some years very dry and some very wet) .. never the less I have booked the southern route from San Francisco to Mexico and back in the spring of 2019. I have done this route only once before. liked Santa Barbara, San Diego... Long Beach and Esinada are not great in my book. We enjoy time at sea and time on board when in ports as well. -- so went ahead and booked. We live in near San Francisco... so can do either easily,.

We are going north October 13 of next year. If you decide to go, let me know. I’m in San Mateo as well.