Panning for Gold - Do it yourself at Skagway

sheep1

We will be renting a car and driving into theYukon when our ship arrives at Skagway. Are there any places that are accessible and a person would actually have a chance to find gold if they did some panning. Everyone dreams of finding gold, I just want to give it a shot and hopefully find a few flakes as a memory keepsake. Any information would be appreciated.

Unless you value your time at zero, it's much more efficient to pay to pan - all the gold panning excursion sites are seeded, everyone finds gold. A 'wild' river site where you could reliably find gold with a couple of hours of panning will be info that is zealously guarded... also, do you plan to buy your own pan? You won't recover the cost of that either;-)

Thanks. You are being realistic. Obviously if it were easy, everyone would be a gold miner. I actually have a pan from years ago so I might bring it along. Watching too many TV shows that make it look easier than it actually is.

lol.

If I have it right Skagway was the route the miners took but almost no gold came from there. Juneau is another story and you can pan a short stretch of Gold Creek. Skagway they mined the miners just like they do today. sightcrr

If I have it right Skagway was the route the miners took but almost no gold came from there. Juneau is another story and you can pan a short stretch of Gold Creek. Skagway they mined the miners just like they do today. sightcrr

SightCRR is correct. While Skagway was a major gateway into Dawson and the Klondike gold rush, gold wasn't found in Skagway. The mining was done by the con artists and merchants "mining" the guidable stampeders. One reason why I find that gold dredge in Skagway to be so hokey.

Note that OP did mention they were going to drive into the Yukon to do their panning, so they already overcame the 'no gold in Skagway' hurdle. Although this does add the wrinkle that if they go through with their plan and actually get lucky, declaring the found gold at the border will be needed before getting back into the US - and the US is extremely heavy-handed on taxing 'free' gold (just ask any Olympic athletes you know how much tax bringing their medals home cost them...)

We will be renting a car and driving into theYukon when our ship arrives at Skagway. Are there any places that are accessible and a person would actually have a chance to find gold if they did some panning. Everyone dreams of finding gold, I just want to give it a shot and hopefully find a few flakes as a memory keepsake. Any information would be appreciated.

I panned and found gold .I have an official certificate.

I live in Coarsegold, CA, and I have heard that gold flakes can still be panned in Coarsegold Creek. Plan a visit to Yosemite and stop by! (Not this week since it's still closed do to the Ferguson fire.)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

You half to be careful as most apparently 'free' places to pan may be subject to a recorded mining claim. You might be met at gunpoint by the claim owner. (I used to work the taxes on mining claims in the assessor's office. The claims are enough of a property taxed.)

If you are taking gold from someone's claim, that is theft.

You half to be careful as most apparently 'free' places to pan may be subject to a recorded mining claim. You might be met at gunpoint by the claim owner. (I used to work the taxes on mining claims in the assessor's office. The claims are enough of a property taxed.)

If you are taking gold from someone's claim, that is theft.

Haha! You are taking me a little too seriously. Coarsegold Creek runs entirely through private property and considering the nature of most property owners here, one would face that gunpoint threat even without the legality of a claim.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app