Power strips

booklvrq

I copied an image from a HAL Embarkation Day safety video running on my stateroom TV last year. If your power strip looks like this image, HAL says it will be confiscated by Port Security. Good luck trying to plead your "no surge suppressor" case with the Front Desk staff.

HAL-Prohibited-Electrical-Adapters.jpg?i=1097674104

I copied an image from a HAL Embarkation Day safety video running on my stateroom TV last year. If your power strip looks like this image, HAL says it will be confiscated by Port Security. Good luck trying to plead your "no surge suppressor" case with the Front Desk staff.

HAL-Prohibited-Electrical-Adapters.jpg?i=1097674104

Whoops! One less item to pack.

The messages are totally 100% not mixed. The answer if extremely simple - if the power strip has built in surge suppressor, you can not bring it on board. Very simple.

DON

But I wonder if the surge protector police will know the difference between one which is surge protected and one that is not. I think, in my case, I will leave at home my non-protected which looks like it might be otherwise. I assume that an extension cord with a 3-prong attachment is O.K?

Just off Veendam. Nice area with lighted makeup mirror and hair dryer for me to sit and get ready while my husband showered. Hair dryer had special plug. Two regular plugs in wall next to it. Beside the tv was a power strip that had at least 4 plugs. Didn’t need to ask for it. Worked great, never needed more outlets.

Can you please state what type of cabin you were in? We will be in a Vista Suite on our forthcoming Grand Asia, and I have been trying to find out if there are any usable outlets in the bathrooms. Thanks.

Can you please state what type of cabin you were in? We will be in a Vista Suite on our forthcoming Grand Asia, and I have been trying to find out if there are any usable outlets in the bathrooms. Thanks.

I don't know of any ship that has "usable" outlets in the bathroom. Just like in the US, where outlets near water (baths, kitchens) need to be GFCI outlets to protect against shock hazard, the ships go a different way and limit the current available in the bathroom outlet to about 40 milliamps, just enough to run an electric razor, electric toothbrush, or the like. You will not be able to use a hair dryer, or any heating type appliance in the bathroom.

We were in an aft balcony on the verandah deck. There were no plugs for me to do my hair in the bathroom.

Thanks for the info. That was what I was afraid of. But, perhaps, the Amsterdam might have added usable plugs during her refit this spring. And by usable, I mean one capable of charging toothbrushes, etc. I don't consider an outlet on the ceiling to be usable.

Thanks for the info. That was what I was afraid of. But, perhaps, the Amsterdam might have added usable plugs during her refit this spring. And by usable, I mean one capable of charging toothbrushes, etc. I don't consider an outlet on the ceiling to be usable.

Again, nope. While cabins may get updates and USB ports, etc, the "wet unit" or bathroom module in the cabin will almost never get a real update, certainly not a new outlet wired in a different location, as this is too difficult to do without almost removing the wet unit.