Haleakala sunset tours

Betsypaige

Hi Silver

So this is the post I referred to in my post above:

I love it up there and go every year but we have a car and just ramble around ourselves. I hope you enjoy your tour and that this article from one of our DE's help you! Aloha!

For those interested in some Upcountry sights, check out the Hui No'eau Art Center, located on Baldwin Avenue in between Paia and Makawao. It once was a family estate (the Baldwin family), called Kaluanui, and has been lovingly restored. It has a wonderful view out over the slopes down to Kahului and across to the West Maui Mountains. The hybrid Norfolk-Cook pines that flank the driveway are incredible, and are thought to be two of the oldest trees on the whole island. The Center also has rotating exhibits, and a very nice gift shop with some wonderful wood pieces. Here's a link to the Hui's site:

http://huinoeau.com/

In the same area stands Makawao Union Church. Connected to the Baldwins as well, the stone church is really beautiful. If you're ever on island and have the chance to attend a concert there, the acoustics are incredible. Here is a link to a wiki page about the church:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makawao_Union_Church

Pi'iholo Ranch, still owned by Baldwin family members, continues to preserve history and protect resources here. When they began offering tourist activities, many felt they had "sold out". But as Peter Baldwin said, the ranch had to change and grow in order to survive. They run ziplines and horseback rides---but still ranch and are very involved in preserving Maui's ranching legacy for generations to come. Along with Sumner Erdman of Ulupalakua Ranch, this family is responsible-- IMO-- for the vast open pastures and ranchlands one still sees. They are truly stewards of Maui Nei.

Other sights in the Kula and Ulupalakua area include the winery and Holy Ghost Church.The history of the winery is well documented-because it was part of the Rose Ranch, which later became Ulupalakua Ranch (as it's known today). Holy Ghost Church was built in 1894, and carefully restored and preserved over the years. The first masses were celebrated in early 1895. It is built on land donated by the Von Tempsky family, another old Maui family which was heavily involved in ranching and the community. Here's a link to the Wiki page about the Kula area; scroll down and you'll find some other links and info, plus a link for the church: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kula,_Hawaii

Also, don't forget to take a few minutes to enjoy the beauty of St. John's Episcopal Church, in Keokea, the Sun Yat Sen park, the views from Rice Park, and so much more. The whole Upcountry area is a feast for the senses!

This link leads to a pretty decent article that includes a lot of the Upcountry sights:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/driving-tour-of-up…

Aloha Betsy:

Mahalo for all of the information! Since we believe you mentioned that you would enjoy getting away from the regular tourist routes to see more of the real Maui, you are doing right to take Baldwin Avenue up from Paia to Makawao. One suggestion when you get to where Haleakala Highway and Kula Highway split is to take Haleakala Highway up as far as Lower Kimo Road (just before Kula Lodge - your tour guide will know where). The ride through the eucalyptus (sp.?) trees and then across pastures is a favorite of ours and the views are spectacular. At Lower Kimo Road make a right and take it down to where it ends at Lower Kula Road. Make a left and that should take you past Nui's food truck and garden (Thai food) you spoke about. Then just a little further turn right at the hardware store and there will be Kula Highway. Make a left on Kula Highway and continue your tour as the article says. Just a thought...

Aloha Betsy:

Mahalo for all of the information! Since we believe you mentioned that you would enjoy getting away from the regular tourist routes to see more of the real Maui, you are doing right to take Baldwin Avenue up from Paia to Makawao. One suggestion when you get to where Haleakala Highway and Kula Highway split is to take Haleakala Highway up as far as Lower Kimo Road (just before Kula Lodge - your tour guide will know where). The ride through the eucalyptus (sp.?) trees and then across pastures is a favorite of ours and the views are spectacular. At Lower Kimo Road make a right and take it down to where it ends at Lower Kula Road. Make a left and that should take you past Nui's food truck and garden (Thai food) you spoke about. Then just a little further turn right at the hardware store and there will be Kula Highway. Make a left on Kula Highway and continue your tour as the article says. Just a thought...

Hi Silver!

Thank you so much! I'm going to print this out and put it in my Hawaii folder, so this way when it's time for the tour, I can pull this out and discuss it with Marilyn.

I read some quick reviews of the food truck - it sounds so yummy I'm almost tempted to want to make a stop even though lunch will be at the ranch, lol.

Mahalo for all of your help!!!