• Day 13: Takoradi, Ghana
  • Day 14-16: At Sea
  • Day 17: Luanda, Angola
  • Day 18-19: At Sea
  • Day 20: Walvis Bay, Namibia
  • Day 21: Luderitz, Namibia
  • Day 22: At Sea
  • Day 23: Cape Town, South Africa

I'm beginning to plan for this cruise and would appreciate any tips on what to do in the ports I've listed above.

Also, any details re: required vaccinations, documents-Passport/Visas etc. needed for a Canadian citizen to visit these ports/areas.

In addition to the cruise I am considering a post land trip-max. 6 days - Cape Town-to Kruger or Chobe/Victoria Falls, so any advise from your experiences will be helpful.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

On your post cruise land tour, are you looking for a package or booking the elements independently? Have you been to South Africa before? How much time do you intend to stay in the Cape Town area post cruise?

We have visited Lisbon (3 day city break); Porto (two week road trip of Northern Portugal); Casablanca (cruise visit); Lanzarote (one week vacation) - let me know if you think I can help based on the above experience.

This is Azamara Journey-Nov. 10, 2020, 22 day cruise. My first time with this cruise line.

I have been to Egypt & Tunisia, but never to any of these ports in Africa.

Most likely doing post cruise independently for 4-7 days.

Looking at Cape Town/hotel/lodge-safari.

or

Victoria Falls/Chobe

or

Kruger

or

Safari/lodge drive from Johannesburg.

All options are open.

I'd like to hear about excursions or what you did on your own in the ports you mention.

What hotels/lodges used pre and post cruise.

Many of these ports are not showing up in the reviews I'm finding.

I am reading your previous posts and getting some great information, so thank you for any advice.

This is Azamara Journey-Nov. 10, 2020, 22 day cruise. My first time with this cruise line.

I have been to Egypt & Tunisia, but never to any of these ports in Africa.

Most likely doing post cruise independently for 4-7 days.

Looking at Cape Town/hotel/lodge-safari.

or

Victoria Falls/Chobe

or

Kruger

or

Safari/lodge drive from Johannesburg.

All options are open.

I'd like to hear about excursions or what you did on your own in the ports you mention.

What hotels/lodges used pre and post cruise.

Many of these ports are not showing up in the reviews I'm finding.

I am reading your previous posts and getting some great information, so thank you for any advice.

I can’t offer any advice on Botswana or Victoria Falls, they are still on our bucket list.

The drive from Johannesburg to, say, Nelspruit for the Kruger is straight forward from where you have lots of choice of safari lodges depending on budget - from high end private game reserves to staying just outside the park gates in a B&B and doing self drive. The game reserves definitely do the safari experience well.

As we rent a car, we stay just outside Cape Town - Hout Bay is our favourite spot and stay in a lovely B&B (we’re going back in February). The reason for this is that most places to visit outside of the city eg wine lands, Cape Point, Kirstenbosch, etc are all in that direction. It’s only a pleasant 20 minute drive back into the city. Camps Bay is also an upmarket spot closer to the city, but with prices to match.

Lisbon is wonderful city and quite compact with great public transport - there is a good hoho bus service. It’s quite walkable, if a bit hilly. Belem is worthy of visiting if only for the delicious pastries (Pasteis de Belem or Pasteis de Nata). If you have time, take the train out to Sintra for the Palacio Nacional (Palácio da Vila), the Castelo dos Mouros and Palácio da Pena. Also Cascais is very nice excursion.

Lanzarote - the main attractions for us if visiting by ship would be the Timanfaya National Park volcanic area and the buildings of architect Casar Manrique (his house at the Fundacion Cesar Manrique, Jameos del Agua, Mirador del Rio). If you can rent a car at the port it would be an easy day’s drive to see most of the island.

Casablanca- ok, but not the nicest port of call we’ve visited. We had a guide and van with a small group from CC. We visited the spectacular mosque and local souk and had a very enjoyable lunch. We didn’t go to Marrakesh as we had spent a few days there on a previous visit - it’s a wonderful city and well worth a visit but it is a long way. Most people obviously went on ship tours given the potential for delays.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, My wife Marion & I are booked on this cruise.

We cruised with Azamara earlier this year and were very impressed and are looking forward to Nov 2020.

We have just returned from a land tour to South Africa which although interesting in our case did not compare to East Africa as far as far as Game Drives and seeing the Big 5.

Would be interested to hear of any suggestions for tours in the ports along the way.

• Day 01: Lisbon, Portugal
  • I'm beginning to plan for this cruise and would appreciate any tips on what to do in the ports I've listed above.

In addition to the cruise I am considering a post land trip-max. 6 days - Cape Town-to Kruger or Chobe/Victoria Falls, so any advise from your experiences will be helpful. Thanks.

Can offer many, many ideas and tips for the early and late parts of your upcoming "adventure". From my live/blogs connected below, you can see much for in and around BOTH wonderful Lisbon and charming Cape Town. Many details and visuals are shared from my links.

Sorry, we have not sailed along that western coast of Africa. I have heard great things about Namibia, but from a number of these other western African ports, the reports have been either mixed and less.

Make sure you plan and allow enough time for both Lisbon and Cape Town. We had five days for Cape Town, allow tie to do wine country, the scenic coastal areas, various parts of this exciting city. We had four days for Lisbon. Also, that was super wonderful.

After your time in Cape Town, I would strongly suggest going to explore both Victoria Falls and the amazing Botswana camps, including Chobe. Botswana is THE "Best of the Best". Key experts told me that before our visit and they were 100% correct.

Below are a few visuals to spike up your interests for car Lisbon and in Africa. Happy to answer any questions. Just post your info needs on either of my live/blogs. It's easier for me to catch any questions on those threads. The options for the Lisbon area, around Cape Town, in Botswana, etc., are so many that you need research and plan accordingly.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Now at 25,276 views. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 42,589 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

For Sintra north of Lisbon, here is one small visual sampling. Yes, as we told our grandsons, these are "Real Castles!". Really have learned so much about the unique and lengthy history of Portugal.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

June%202017A%201542_zpsrs25wyvr.jpg

Here is just one of many spectacular views from riding the Cable Car up to the top of Table Mountain. You can see Lion's Head mountain that peaks at 2,195 feet above sea level. This peak forms part of a dramatic backdrop to the city of Cape Town and is part of the Table Mountain National Park. Amazing views all around. Friday was rated as a top 10% viewing day with the clearness and ability to enjoy such sights. The Table Mountain Cableway was Swiss designed and officially opened in 1929. It has been extensively upgraded and new cars now carry 65 instead of 25 passengers. The new cars give a faster journey and rotate through 360 degrees during the ascent and descent. The highest point on Table Mountain is 3,563 feet above sea level.:

Africa2016PixsA7_zpsorjegsat.jpg

Here is one picture where I needed a little "help" to be "soaring like an eagle"! My secret? It's riding in a helicopter to travel around Cape Town, the nearby mountains, being south of the town, going along the beaches, over the Winelands, etc. Like the views? Table Mountain is clearly so dominate in the way it towers over Cape Town and the nearby areas. Recognize the Cape Town Stadium? Our pilot said it has a nickname down here and they call it the "Giant Toilet Bowl"!! Does kind of have that look!!:

Africa2016PixsA13_zpsn571mfn9.jpg

Here is one quick view of the amazing and so super cute African Penguins at Boulder beach near by the Cape of Good Hope. This is an up-close view for one of the penguins sitting on an egg on the beach.:

Africa2016PixsA21_zpse8p9cuol.jpg

Was it wet Victoria Falls? What were the photo challenges? Huge!! We thought there might be a few "mists", but we were totaly unprepared as to how WET things would get. Really misty, rain-soaked, etc.!! Like the rainbows? The helicopters flying over were rather noisy and a bother for those of us seeking to enjoy nature. My camera stopped part way through the process and did not recovered. I fortunately had a back-up Nikon camera with me.:

Africa2016PixsA13%201_zpske8yoggj.jpg

In Botswana, there was such a large range of different animals and birds, including this interesting yellow-billed hornbill. They describe this bird with its distinct nose as a "flying banana"!! Like this bird?:

Africa2016PixsA43_zpsha7krhs9.jpg

We are heading to Africa in January. While in Cape Town for four nights we'll be staying at the Cape Town Hollow Boutique hotel. We are using PG Tops for three full day tours (one day city tour/Table Mountain/Kirstenbosch, 2nd day Cape Peninsula - nature reserve and penguin colony, 3rd day Cape Winelands. We will also be having high morning tea at the Mount Nelson hotel. In Walvis Bay we are using Namibia Tours and Safari for a full day private tour and a full day Sandwich tour. After our cruise we'll be flying to Victoria Falls, spending two nights at the LLala Lodge and then on to Botswana to spend 3 nights at Ngoma Safari Lodge for safaris at Chobe. Both of these add-ons were booked with Namibia Tours and Safaris. Good luck and enjoy your planning. Michelle

Thank you both for this information. I will look up tour operators mentioned.

The photos and blog are amazing! More questions to come after I return from my travels. I will

also be seeing the penguins in South America soon.

Hi all, My wife Marion & I are booked on this cruise.

We cruised with Azamara earlier this year and were very impressed and are looking forward to Nov 2020.

We have just returned from a land tour to South Africa which although interesting in our case did not compare to East Africa as far as far as Game Drives and seeing the Big 5.

Would be interested to hear of any suggestions for tours in the ports along the way.

Click on the link and join our roll call:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2640792&page=3

We are heading to Africa in January. While in Cape Town for four nights we'll be staying at the Cape Town Hollow Boutique hotel. We are using PG Tops for three full day tours (one day city tour/Table Mountain/Kirstenbosch, 2nd day Cape Peninsula - nature reserve and penguin colony, 3rd day Cape Winelands. We will also be having high morning tea at the Mount Nelson hotel. In Walvis Bay we are using Namibia Tours and Safari for a full day private tour and a full day Sandwich tour. After our cruise we'll be flying to Victoria Falls, spending two nights at the LLala Lodge and then on to Botswana to spend 3 nights at Ngoma Safari Lodge for safaris at Chobe. Both of these add-ons were booked with Namibia Tours and Safaris. Good luck and enjoy your planning. Michelle

Looks to be a wonderful itinerary. Try to ensure your Cape Winelands Tour takes you to Franshhoek, a much more picturesque location than Stellenbosch IMO. They are both close but most tours only seem to get as far as Stellenbosch.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 8/16/2018 at 8:23 AM, dog said:

• Day 01: Lisbon, Portugal
  • Day 02: Portimao, Portugal
  • Day 03: Casablanca, Morocco
  • Day 04: Agadir, Morocco
  • Day 05: Lanzarote, Canary Islands
  • Day 06: Gran Canaria, Canary Islands
  • Day 07-08: At Sea
  • Day 09: Banjul, Gambia
  • Day 10-11: At Sea
  • Day 12: Abidjan, Ivory Coast
  • Day 13: Takoradi, Ghana
  • Day 14-16: At Sea
  • Day 17: Luanda, Angola
  • Day 18-19: At Sea

I'm beginning to plan for this cruise and would appreciate any tips on what to do in the ports I've listed above.

Also, any details re: required vaccinations, documents-Passport/Visas etc. needed for a Canadian citizen to visit these ports/areas.

Thanks.

Getting back to learning about these ports and looking for resources on: Namibia, Luanda, Angola,

Takoradi,  Ghana, Abidjan, Ivory Coast, and Banjul, Gambia. We have a full day in most of our ports and will consider ship excursions, as well as, DO IT ON OUR OWN.

Thanks for your help.

dog

For Ghana & Namibia, I  read in an article on cruise critic that the ships usually arrange for the Visas.

For Canadians the website:   travel.gc.ca       gives current entry requirements, health & safety information.

Maybe this information will be useful to others cruising soon, as it is best to check  within 3-6 months prior to travel.

22 hours ago, dog said:

Getting back to learning about these ports and looking for resources on: Namibia, Luanda, Angola,

Takoradi,  Ghana, Abidjan, Ivory Coast, and Banjul, Gambia. We have a full day in most of our ports and will consider ship excursions, as well as, DO IT ON OUR OWN.

Thanks for your help.

dog

Sorry, I can only offer help with Lisbon, Casablanca, Lanzarote and Cape Town - not been to any of the others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omega1 said:

Sorry, I can only offer help with Lisbon, Casablanca, Lanzarote and Cape Town - not been to any of the others.

I've made notes from your posts. Thank you so much!