Arriving in WHITTIER. Need advice on what to do for 2 days

showdog

We're on the Diamond Princess and our trip will end on June 3rd in Whittier.

We are planning on renting a car one way to Anchorage when we get there from Avis but haven't decided on what to do after that. We get in Saturday morning and we are spending one night some where (haven't decided yet where).

Our flight doesn't leave until 9pm Sunday so we have basically all day Saturday and all day Sunday to do something.

We've done this trip before but the last time we just drove one way to Anchorage and our flight left at midnight. We took a very long drive around looking around and stopping here and there and then turning in our car around 10 pm. This time we decided to spend the night some where.

Any suggestions? Should we take the drive to Denali for the day and spend the night? Are there any other neat places to stay and see for just a weekend?

Thank you:confused:

We're staying two nights at the Inn at Whittier:

http://www.innatwhittier.com/

and plan on doing some fishing, kayaking, a glacier cruise, and the Horsetail Falls hike while there.

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/communities/alaska/whittier.html

http://whittierforum.yukontel.com/coc/business%20directory.htm

http://www.alaska.org/glaciers/locals-kelly-bender.jsp

My wife worked in Whittier for several years with a tour company and there's really not much to do there for a two day period. Better to head into Anchorage and visit the Alaska Native Heritage Center or the Fine Arts Museum. Too many tour groups speed right through Anchorage and don't get a change to see much.

Suzanne123,

It sounds like you will have a great time and you've got it planned out pretty well. How do you plan on getting to the airport in anchorage after your stay there?

I just can't decide if we should take the drive to Denali or do something like you guys are doing and stay around there and do some type of glacier boat tour and just drive around.

Chenega,

We've already done what you suggested the last time we were the a couple of years ago. We hung out in Anchorage the entire day and night.

What about a flight tour to Denali or staying some where with great views of the mountains or some type of really neat tour?

Please keep any suggestions coming. Thank you

I would head south to Seward the morning you get off your cruise. You NO way have any time for Denali Park, it is 240 miles north of Anchorage and getting there is only part of the trip, you need at least another full day to get into the park via shuttle bus, then the drive back.

Far better would be the 2 hour scenic drive it will take you to get to Seward. Then time for the top attraction, a Kenai fjords boat tour, also Exit Glacier, Seavey's Sled dogs, Alaska Sealife Center, Godwin's helicopter, fishing etc etc etc. Request their visitor guide http://www.seward.com

Heading north, I would only recommend you go to Talkeetna. Flightseeing is superb here of McKinley, on the way stop at Eagle River Nature Center, Hatcher Pass and Independence Mine. And all the small stuff in between. :)

I would have to agree with BQ, re not enough time for denali. Unless you can bump your flt back by at least one more day or more. We have toured denali to Fishcreek, mile 66 and then driven back to Anc, arriving about 8:30pm. But I wouldn't want the stress of having to do this to meet a flt that evening. If you had at least one more day, you could drive back the same day or the next morning and still see a little of Anc before a late flt. Seward is a good alternative if more time won't work. Good luck.

We're flying into Anchorage, spending most of the day and one night there. The next morning we're going to Seward by train, spending two nights in Seward and then on to Whittier. I really didn't want to rent a car, and I think we can get by with PJ's taxi in Seward if needed and a van trip to Whittier with 2 Dogs Transport. Both of our hotels in Seward and Whittier are very near the harbors where we're doing the fishing and fjord/glacier/kayaking tours.

I realized that we just can't do everything this trip, so we decided to spend time on the peninsula and save Denali for the next visit.

Since you've seen the sights of Anchorage, I like BQ's suggestion about Seward. You could also drive further and spend a night in Homer which has a beautiful location on Kachemak Bay. Lot's of bed and breakfasts down there as well as some nice hotels. If the weather is clear, you can also see four active volcanoes across the Cook Inlet, one of which is "fussing and fuming" right now (Augustine).

We live north of Anchorage and can see Denali/McKinley from our house (gorgeous today!). A drive north of Anchorage takes you through Eagle River and Chugiak. A detour out the Eagle River loop road will take you 12 miles into the Eagle River valley to the Eagle River Nature Center (free but a $5.00 parking fee). They run programs and nature walks on a daily basis.

Further north, you can continue to Palmer, the agricultural area of Southcentral Alaska for a tour of the Muskox Farm, the West Coast Alaska Tsunami Warning Center (Fridays from 1-3), or a drive to Wasilla and the wonderful Iditarod Museum (which often has sled dog rides in the summer for a nominal fee - my brother from LA loved it!)

You can continue north on the Parks Highway as well from excellent views of Denali (weather permitting of course) from Talkeetna which is often cited as the inspiration for multiple Alaskan towns portrayed in the movies and on tv.

Another great trip is out of Palmer on the Hatcher Pass Road (may not open until late June/early July) and the State Historic Park at the Independence Mine.

There is plenty to do here, much of which is off the route of the mainstream tour companies. Nice thing with the summer season is that the days are very long so there's plenty of daylight.

Certainly hope you enjoy your visit!

Archived