Excursion timing question

fvalente

First time cruiser and I'm hoping someone with more experience can help answer a question for me.

We're booked on a Whales and Mendenhall Glacier Photo Tour in Juneau from 1:30 to 6:30 and our ship will be in port from 1 - 9. Do most excursions end on time, is that 6:30 when they'll drop us off at the ship? And is the 9 PM when the ship pulls away? Do we need to plan on being on board by 8-8:30? I don't want to take a chance on missing the ship or even cutting it close! :)

The reason I'm asking is that I've read so much about Tracy's Crab Shack and how good it is that I'm anxious to try it. But I'm wondering if we're going to have time.

Any help you can provide is appreciated!

Thanks

If the sail time is 9PM they will probably say the all aboard time is 8:30PM, that's normal. Yes, tours do normally end on time, it's important for them to meet the requirements set forth by the cruise line. Of course, traffic or a break down can happen and that would cut into your free time ashore (but of course the ship will not leave without you).

I don't remember now how close the pier is to town but on most tours they will drop you off in town rather then take you back to the ship (requiring you to return to town) if you ask. That is dependent on the tour company of course but it doesn't hurt to ask the guide.

You’ll be fine. They’ll return you to the ship right around 6:30 and the ship is right in the middle of the tourist area. We went on that same tour a number of years ago and we saw so many Humpback Whales. It was amazing. Enjoy!