HAL Hotels in Seattle

2 hours ago, Been There, Planning That said:

Well the experts were correct.  Against expert advice we stayed in HAL's choice of Sheraton Hotel and Marina on Harbor Island Drive for the sheer and expensive convenience of HAL pick up at airport.

Once we'd paid and actually read the fine print, what they provided was the already included hotel airport shuttle.

After three flight cancelations before we left home under clear blue skies, we didn't arrive in San Diego until almost 12:00PM instead of the early afternoon time we'd planned.  The hotel stops pick ups at 11:30.  When we lined up for a cab, the poor driver was upset that the hotel was so close.  Promise of a generous tip ensured he took us the few blocks.

But the location met our needs.  After almost 23 hours travel time, door to door, we simply enjoyed the Old Town Trolley Tour to a part of the city we'd not visited and opted to eat in the hotel which again met our needs.

The chorus of 'told you so' or 'there are better options' may ring loud and clear from the generous posters.

Ruth

Ruth -- glad you posted this!  I'm flying to San Diego this Friday Mar 8 for the HAL Hawaii/Tahiti/Marquesas cruise embarking on Mar 9.  And I booked everything with HAL -- yep, Sheraton Hotel & Marina, transfers, etc.  (I understand the arguments against booking via the cruise line, but for me, it's worth it so that I have less to "manage" -- less anxiety, etc.)

You answered a question I posed yesterday to my HAL cruise person who didn't know the answer (the wording on the official HAL boarding docs is a bit ambiguous):  the transfer from the airport to the hotel IS via the hotel's regular free shuttle service.  I don't have a problem with that, but it's good to know.

Were you met at the airport by a HAL rep?  Or did you just find out where to pick up the hotel shuttle and manage on your own?

Thanks!

Lana in Bellingham, WA

6 minutes ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

Were you met at the airport by a HAL rep?  Or did you just find out where to pick up the hotel shuttle and manage on your own?

Thanks!

Lana in Bellingham, WA

We were on our OWN -- we'd expected a HAL rep but with all the delays I understand.  We made HAL aware of the delays.  Turns out the airport pretty well closes down at 11:30.  It was hard to find someone to ask other than cleaning staff.

As long as you arrive as scheduled you'll be fine.  You just have to call the hotel for pickup.

We could have booked the hotel on our own at a better price, but now need the assistance.

Ruth

15 minutes ago, Been There, Planning That said:

GOOD GRIEF -- I posted the San Diego experience on the WRONG thread.  Still jet lagged is my excuse.  At least you Lana, found it helpful.

I'll cut and paste it to my thread about San Diego.

Ruth

LOL!  I wondered about that.  I started reading the thread because I live in the Puget Sound area -- lived in Seattle until 2006 when I moved north to Bellingham, but still made regular (a couple of times a week) trips to Seattle, and always fly in/out of SeaTac.  It was just lucky happenstance that you posted to this thread, and it definitely helped!  

Lana

I live in San Diego - The Sheraton is conveniently located to the airport (I would recommend an Uber or Lyft versus waiting for the shuttle or a taxi).  You can walk from that hotel to several good restaurants on Harbor Island (C Level, Island Prime and Coasterra - all with beautiful views of downtown SD) or for less expensive Boat House (not my fav) or  Tom Hamm's (again just OK IMO).  

Glad you took the Old Town Trolley HOHO tour - such a great tour and takes you around to all the sights.  There are so many hotels in the downtown area conveniently located to the airport, I never understand why visitors worry about a shuttle - just take an Uber/ride share and if will be quick and cheap.  

Downtown is walkable to so many restaurants so you will be all set. 

3 hours ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

Ruth -- glad you posted this!  I'm flying to San Diego this Friday Mar 8 for the HAL Hawaii/Tahiti/Marquesas cruise embarking on Mar 9.  And I booked everything with HAL -- yep, Sheraton Hotel & Marina, transfers, etc.  (I understand the arguments against booking via the cruise line, but for me, it's worth it so that I have less to "manage" -- less anxiety, etc.)

You answered a question I posed yesterday to my HAL cruise person who didn't know the answer (the wording on the official HAL boarding docs is a bit ambiguous):  the transfer from the airport to the hotel IS via the hotel's regular free shuttle service.  I don't have a problem with that, but it's good to know.

Thanks!

Lana in Bellingham, WA

While this is actually a Seattle question (which I looked at since I'm taking a HAL cruise out of Seattle in a few month), the Sheraton is conviently located to the airport - just across from it - I would not wait for a shuttle but that is just me. Take an Uber for a few bucks and be down with it.  Several nice places to eat nearby (see my prior answer) or Uber over to the Little Italy area of downtown for some excellent dining.