Suggestion on what to do in Reykjavik, Iceland for the day??

Definitely get out of Reykjavik.  If you are only there for the day and want to get a taste of the amazing landscape skip the Blue Lagoon.  In my opinion not worth the hype and not even a good spa experience.  Rent a car or take a golden circle tour to see some of the highlights - the Rift Valley between the Europe and North American plates - huge waterfalls - visit the Fontana Spa which is heated by a geyser (not geothermal plant runoff like the blue lagoon) and visit the actual geysers.  Have lunch at a hydroponic greenhouse.  This is doable in a day.  

Another amazing but expensive experience is the ‘Into the volcano’ trip which we did a few years ago.  You would have time for that and to see a bit of Reykjavik.  

During our 2017 trip I believe I used Geoiceland Tours and we had a fabulous day doing the South Shore. I didn't make the trek down to the large falls but stayed up at the overlook and it was still marvelous. The hike in is long but easy even for someone who doesn't hike much. Others from our Roll Call did the Golden Circle and had a good time. 

• 11 months later...