Great Day at Ffryes Beach

charlielinda

Today we visited Antigua on the Celebrity Equinox and were the only ship in port today. We had debated taking a ship excursion or doing our excursion— our independent spirit won out and we ventured off the ship about 9:00. We walked off the pier toward the taxi drivers and asked to be taken to Ffryes Beach. We were told in would be $32 each way or could wait for a group be put together and it would $8 each way per person. We opted for the group and within ten minutes we were set to go on a large mini bus and off we went went with Lappa. It was about a 25 minutes away. Lappa asked when we wanted to be picked up and decided on 2:00. Our ship was leaving at 3:30.

Lappa told us that we could pay him when we returned. He also told us his friend Claudia would set us up with chairs and umbrellas and she would be able to contact him if needed. Free Enterprise at its best! We told Claudia we would like 2 lounge chairs and a umbrella. It was $20. The loungers we’re not brand new but they were perfectly comfortable and we were right on the water.

We did see blue loungers further down the beach near the restaurant for what we discovered were a few of the ship excursions that included lunch.

We had had breakfast and decided we didn’t need lunch and just enjoyed the day in and out of the clear water. Honestly, I didn’t want to take precious beach time to walk to the restaurant and have a meal. The beach was so nice and never crowded but I certainly can see how if there 3-4-5-6 ships in port it would extremely busy.

There were a few vendors walking up and down the beach but we never felt hassled and just politely said no thank you.

At 1:45 we took our last dip in the clear blue water and walked up to where we were to meet Lappa. As promise he was there and off we went. St. John, the Capitol, was very busy when we returned because it was Saturday and all the markets were open ... it was interesting to see all the wares for sale.

Lappa dropped us off and we had a short walk back to the ship. It was a great beach day and cost us $60 for the two of us. I wouldn’t hesitate to walk off the ship, if back in Antigua, and ask to go to Ffryes Beach. We definitely had more beach time than with a more expensive ship excursion and enjoyed every minute.

87467ca76e93db8367b0857c38de2549.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for your review! We're actually doing a ship excursion there in November. There will also be no ships in port that day, so I'm even more excited about the excursion. We had thought about going on our own, but it's our first time to Antigua and we usually err on the side of caution on first visits until we get comfortable with the area. Next time, we'll feel safe going on our own. I don't see too much info on Ffryes, so reading your review was great!

Thanks for your review! We're actually doing a ship excursion there in November. There will also be no ships in port that day, so I'm even more excited about the excursion. We had thought about going on our own, but it's our first time to Antigua and we usually err on the side of caution on first visits until we get comfortable with the area. Next time, we'll feel safe going on our own. I don't see too much info on Ffryes, so reading your review was great!

We are thinking to do that excursion as well. (Same cruise:D)

• 1 month later...