Bears!!! have research all the Whales

annski

Lindsay and I will be cruising on Infinity 8th May We are from Australia and Bears are one of my "must sees"

Where is it best to take tour of, from where, and who with.

We are at Skagway 13th, Juneau 14th Icy Strait 15th Sitka 16th and Prince Rupert 17th

and what types of bears can be viewed etc ... there are some great photos on so many web sites but no idea as to what month they become more visible etc and very little recommending of bear tours thanks :D ann

Your only option going that early will be the possibility of seeing them from a drive into the Yukon from Skagway. You are way too early for any of the tours. I have only seen black bears here. And at best chance sightings and be certain to get an early start and plan on spending the whole day. Be prepared for no sightings.

If bears are your #1 priority, you picked the wrong date - you need to go for a late July or August cruise and then do a fly-out to any of several locations. The bears only congregate (this allowing good viewing opportunities) during the salmon runs. I sometimes get very lucky along the highway betwen Skagway and Carcross, but it could never be advertised as a bear-viewing tour.

Murray

Yes, we get both blacks and grizzlies along the South Klondike. The grizzlies are usually in the area around Fraser and Log Cabin. Some folks (including tour guides) sometimes get fooled into thinking they've seen a grizzly because we have at least one family of blacks here that includes brown-phase bears.

Murray

Ann

Listen to the experts above re the ports. If you cannot move your cruise to a later time, what about pre or post cruise? Do you have the option of coming in a few days early or better yet post cruise? If you are going to be in Anc, there are 1 day fly in bear tours to Katmai or Kodiak that should have brown coastal bears. Check out HalloBay.com. Also Rust Flying Serv from Anc does these trips as well as others. Try search for Alaska brown bear tours and there should be several. While these tours may run $400-550 each, they may be only way to see bears in May. You are coming a long way to see them, take a few more days.

we are also spending time in Yosemite ... so if not lucky from trips along the cruise area hope for success there I dont expect to see everything but am trying to plan trips that are different for each port... ann

Ann

I started to ask where else you were going, as most people I meet from down under seem to take a month or more on their vacations to max the airfare. If you need help with Yosemite, let me know. Been there a few times, about 3.5 hrs from where I live. Haven't seen bear there in many years, unless hiking in back country. Most likely will see coyotes, deer, tourists.

Yellowstone is talking about removing grizzlies from the endangered list as they are coming back in big numbers. Haven't seen one their close up either. Nor in Glacier or Waterton-Glacier or Tetons. Denali and other Alaska NP have been the best places to see bear.

• 1 year later...

May is pretty early to see bears. At Icy Strait you will only see Brown Bears. If you have nice weather you might be able to see them in the tall grass on the banks. At Icy Strait the independent charters might be more willing to do a combo whale/bear search type of tour. The Galley, which is in the town of Hoonah, is booking a few different independent charters there that would probably be interested in the combo tour. Their phone number is 907 945-3777, or if the day is sunny when you get into port you can just go into town and check it out.

Lindsay and I will be cruising on Infinity 8th May We are from Australia and Bears are one of my "must sees"

Where is it best to take tour of, from where, and who with.

We are at Skagway 13th, Juneau 14th Icy Strait 15th Sitka 16th and Prince Rupert 17th

and what types of bears can be viewed etc ... there are some great photos on so many web sites but no idea as to what month they become more visible etc and very little recommending of bear tours thanks :D ann

Annski, a creek near shrine of teresse at Juneau is an awesome spot for observing bears. I don't remember the name of creek now. If you rent a car from Rent-A-Wreck, the lady there will give you very detailed information how to get there. Try to be there either in the morning or evening when the bears come out of woods and eat fish on shore.. That's one of the best ways to see bears without joining any tour group (which can be quite expensive when you have several people in your group).

BTW, the bears are such a food waster.. they only eat the head and small portion of skin of the fishes they catch.. wait until US Fish and Wildlife Service starts licensing them how many fishes they can catch every day.. :D

Hi, We really had a super time we went in May 2006, the thaw out of Skagway into the Yukon area had not really started apart from several cracks in the magnificent lakes, we had snow while on White Pass!! and this was the only time we had unpleasant weather. (We did our tourist shopping in Skagway) but always kept away from those rather overpriced jewllery stores where so much of the money goes back into the cruise ships profits.

At the Hubbard glaciers, it was full sun, wind cool and required hat and gloves to start with but as we cruised closer fully protected no wind and had to peel off a layer. Spent much time on the upper decks at all various times with great sunset photos at 10.15 at night. Sitka was a favorite stop, the totem park was worth the walk, used a hop on off bus there. Prince Rupert the deer were seen wandering up and down peoples driveways, and a deer gave birth on the lawn outside the hospital in the previous few days to when we were there. We were the first cruise ship in for that season and the school children and parents had a fair/market on the parkland opposite where the ship berths. Some beautiful ceramic craft at Cowbay shops. Quite a few bears were sighted along various islands as they had started to fish/feed etc Icy Strait Point was delightful and there were large numbers of Bald Eagles in the huge trees as you walked from the landing area into town, caught bus back. When we were being tendered back to the ship the tender deviated to give us a great view of three whales that had been entertaining us from shore as well as porpoises. My sister went later in the season and they saw hardly any snow but more whales. In Victora we took a hop on off tiny ferry with a great informative pilot? and went up the gorge route/ and the harbour very interesting. They have a web site and you just get a ticket on the pier opposite that large ivy covered hotel. ? Hotel Victoria?

Enjoy your trip everyone we really had a wonderful time in 2006 and met some really lovely cruisers.

Archived