SNUBA, not scuba?

Summertimescallingme

we did this in St. John. there are 2 kinds. there is the kind with the tank on your head and you walk along the bottom of the ocean and there is a kind where you have a regulator like scuba diving, but the tanks are carried on the surface in a little raft. we did the one with the regulators. i would find out before, which kind it is. i was expecting the tanks and was a little scared to do the other. but, i'm glad i did it. it's pretty cool.

good luck!

amy

...says ages 8 and up.

:eek:

PLEASE NOTE:

There is absolutely no physiological difference between scuba diving (strap a tank on your back and swim around underwater) vs snuba (tank on a float on the surface). Both involve breathing compressed air in a hyperbaric environment with all the attendent risks that imposes, including lung overpressurization injuries and embolism. Both require a certain amount of physical and emotional maturity. The same physical and medical considerations should apply to each.

So, for what it's worth, there is not a single scuba certifying agency that sanctions taking an 8 or 9 year old child any deeper than 6ft. And that is with a training program and accompanied by a qualified instructor. So why anyone would take such a young child underwater on snuba and think it's any safer is beyond me.

Math, I agree with Drew, the child should be at least a teen, and one who isn't prone to panic. We did the type with air hoses connected to the floating raft, here's a link to shots of it:

http://community.webshots.com/album/132208405jOgQUx

One of the main hassles is you have to blow your ears every few feet down or the pressure is painful, and of course another is water in the mask. Our crew said lots of ppl panic and can't handle it, more men than women, they said women were better at following directions and not getting in trouble, and sure enough, the only one to freak on our tour was a guy, his lady did just fine. There was a young teen boy who did pretty good, but only got down a few feet, didn't get near the wrecks in the above shots.

-Bob

So why anyone would take such a young child underwater on snuba and think it's any safer is beyond me.
I agree with Drew, but to answer what I know is a rhetorical question, it is because snuba is unregulated (unlike the self-regulation scuba employs) so to make more money, they offer the experience to a wider age range.

If your kids are at least 10, the minimum age for scuba certification, then that would be better.

Thanks for all the information. We know nothing about snuba, or scuba for that matter, but have heard for scuba you need all the training. After reading the comments I think it is not a good idea for our 8 year old, and question whether our 12 year old should particiapte. I think we should find a different activity for our day in Grand Cayman. I really appreciate the health issues you all brought up, I would not have know otherwise.:)

Actually there are programs for children as young as 4. You don't have to descend at all if you don't want to and can surface anytime you want. Worst case you can hold onto the raft and basically snorkel. Most programs begin from the shore.

True you need (at least should) to equalize your ears but that is easy for most and also to keep beathing. They will teach you about both. You will not descend more than 20 ft.

It is by no means dangerous.

http://www.snuba.com/about_snuba.asp

Actually there are programs for children as young as 4. You don't have to descend at all if you don't want to and can surface anytime you want. Worst case you can hold onto the raft and basically snorkel. Most programs begin from the shore.

True you need (at least should) to equalize your ears but that is easy for most and also to keep beathing. They will teach you about both. You will not descend more than 20 ft.

It is by no means dangerous.

http://www.snuba.com/about_snuba.asp

Zydecocruiser,

this is off the subject a bit but I saw your pics from Belize and was wondering which underwater camera did you use?

Archived