Personal Item Safety

Belle Mermaid

Generally speaking, yes, it is safe. You could be the unfortunate victim of a crime of opportunity, just like anywhere else. Just follow the same advice you would on most any beach - do not leave anything of value in plain site. If you are absolutely unable to have something lost or stolen, don't take it with you or leave it unattended.

It will be my husband and myself on our trip and we were wondering if it is safe to leave our personal items on our beach chairs while both of us swim in the ocean? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

The best answer is "maybe." Depends in part on which beach. Best advice in addition to the obvious of not leaving anything valuable in sight is to make friends with your neighbors - look for other cruisers and sit near them or even have a group - and get them to watch your stuff and then you watch their stuff. Other ways to be safe but the best safety is the safety of numbers.

The thought of the hassle to try and retrieve any swiped items makes me wear a small money belt tucked into my swimsuit with our cash, plastic id's, and sign & sail cards in it. The only thing left on the beach is our sunscreen, towels, water bottles, etc. I would take anything of value with you, even if you need a small dry bag.

Based on more then 50 years of international travel and a lifetime of beach loving, there is no way we would ever advise anyone to leave unattended valuables on any beach! Over the years we have known numerous folks who have had items stolen off beaches. So what to to?

It is actually quite simple. Leave most valuables back on your ship locked securely in the cabin safe. Purchase a waterproof device that allows you to carry a few valuables such as cash and credit. We use a nylon fanny pack that contains a waterproof triple seal plastic bag certified to a deep depth. There are other devices for sale on places like Amazon that can hold similar items and including cell phones.

Hank