Waitlisted for Main Dinner Seating

kristing63

I booked our RCI Alaska cruise on Radience in November, but we are waitlisted for main seating. RCI can't tell me where we are on the waiting list, even though my father who is cruising on HAL knows exactly where he is on the list. Will we likely be moved up to the main seating? Does anyone know how to find out where you are on the list? We're from the East Coast, so 8:30 (really 12:30 AM) for us would stink! Any suggestions? Thanks!

I was waitlisted for LATE SEATING on my Med cruise- I didn't want to be eating dinner at 6pm since the ship was in port until 7pm most nights and one night 10pm. I wanted AS MUCH TIME in port as possible. Plus, I enjoy watching sailaway out on deck. So, I was very nervous about being on the waitlist. I was NOT able to check on my position on the list . . . I have no idea how anyone can know. But, when I arrived for my cruise I has vey happy to discover I indeed got Late Seating.

I too, am on a waitlist for the May 27th sailing to Alaska, I have done this before and ususally if it is early, and before the final payment it is not a problem. Alot of people cancel when the final payment is due.. Are you on you on Royal Caribbeans site and can see your booking, if not I would call them every few weeks to check

Typically, the late seating is more popular than the early seating. Did you book the cruise through a TA. If so, you should have the TA keep following up with them.

Also, when you board the ship find out what time the Martre D' is available to meet with passenger's to go over table assignement. Many times they are able to work magic for the passenger's. You may need to give them a small tip.

Again, hopefully, this can get resolved for you before you board. When is your cruise?

Keith

There are MANY more benefits to late seating vs early in Alaska. I'm from the east coast too and would never consider early. :)

As only a list, late allows you plenty of time in port, great evening scenic sailing possible. I also never hesistate to skip meals, what is outside Alaska is superb.

If you truely want and do not move from the list by time you sail. Head to the dining room upon embarkment, and request the change, a tip will yield results. :)

I am not aware of any cruises to Alaska in November, but it will be getting dark fairly early. I would plan daylight hours for tours and evening for exploring the town. You can eat on the ships any time, but might miss the "formal" type dinners.

kristing63,

We too prefer main sitting, 6:15pm, and had no problem seeing all we wanted to see before our dinner time. I was waitlisted and for medical reason needed the main seating. I had a letter from my doctor stating so, had my TA fax it to the cruise line and no problems. I also disagree about tipping to get the seating you prefer. You shouldn't have to resort to bribery. They are there to help and IF they help you with a smile, then I would tip them at the end of my cruise. JMHO. Enjoy.

Teresa

Thanks, we prefer the early time also. We only have 2 nights where we will be in port later than the early dinner, so maybe that is why it was filled so fast. Hopefully it will be worked out by the time we go. I have 2 teenagers, and since we are coming from the east coast they will be pretty hungry by the late seating. What I don't want to happen is that they eat lots of stuff before the late dinner and then they won't want to eat later. One of my favorite parts of cruising is that we all get to sit down at dinner together (for a change!) and enjoy eachothers company!

Thanks, we prefer the early time also. We only have 2 nights where we will be in port later than the early dinner, so maybe that is why it was filled so fast. Hopefully it will be worked out by the time we go. I have 2 teenagers, and since we are coming from the east coast they will be pretty hungry by the late seating. What I don't want to happen is that they eat lots of stuff before the late dinner and then they won't want to eat later. One of my favorite parts of cruising is that we all get to sit down at dinner together (for a change!) and enjoy eachothers company!

I really wouldn't worry this far out about being waitlisted for 1st dining. It's not just that people cancel at final payments that helps the waitlist open up. When an agency holds group bookings they hold more cabins than actually needed, just in case a group grows. Usually the extra cabins are recalled and magically there's enough room in your prefered seating.

Capt Larry, I think Kristing was referring to the fact that she booked the cruise in November, not that she was going on the cruise in November. We are going in June, and are also waitlisted for the first dinner seating. DH hates to eat late, so hopefully we will be able to see all that we want to see in port and get back in time for early dining.

BTW Kristing, my TA said that you are more likely to not get late seating than not get early seating. He said late seatings fill up first.

We were in Alaska on a RCI cruise last year as well, and we first were waitlisted for main seating (we did not book until end of January) and then we were moved up in a couple of months. What was strange, however, was that I did not make my reservation online, but through the RCI 800 #, and our "agent" sort of got us main seating when I called and asked one day?! I was concerned about eating later, and she put me on hold and came back and told me she got us the main seating. I don't know how she did that, but it sort of has me concerned since I made this reservation online and now have no "agent" to help me out. Last summer, when we checked in, we were told that there were more than 40 people waiting for the MAIN dinner seating on our cruise!

Hey, is the person posting here the "real" Capt'n Larry?? We were on your boat last summer and had a geat time! Thanks for the reply (and for all of the other replys as well!) How's it going in Juneau? We miss it, which is why we're coming back this summer. I'm waiting for my husband to retire so we can spend a lot more time in Alaska! (He's a "Larry" too!)

I am on the east coast too. I was really concerned about getting main seating last year for our Alaska cruise, as we usually eat our dinner early (6pm or so ) at home. However, I wish that I had booked the late seating. We were so busy that it would have been really nice to have the extra time to wind down before dinner. We found we usually ate late lunches, and weren't really hungry at 6! If I had it to do over again, I would go with the late seating. I wouldn't worry too much if you don't get it--it might work out better!:)

Archived